MangaGamer will no longer offer Steam Keys due to fraudulent purchases

Nosebleed

15 minutes ago, Valmore said:

Uhm, if you don't buy them there's really only two other ways of getting them. Gifts and Captain Morgan.

He could also just keep playing Katawa Shoujo over and over again.

I don't really have anything to add, other than that I think @sanahtlig is right and that, one way or another, this should be a solvable problem for MangaGamer (and now Denpasoft, I suppose) to get back to providing Steam keys to people who want them in a way that won't allow them to be so easily exploitable. Hopefully MangaGamer is able to afford finding and implementing such a solution.

3 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

He could also just keep playing Katawa Shoujo over and over again.

I don't really have anything to add, other than that I think @sanahtlig is right and that, one way or another, this should be a solvable problem for MangaGamer (and now Denpasoft, I suppose) to get back to providing Steam keys to people who want them in a way that won't allow them to be so easily exploitable. Hopefully MangaGamer is able to afford finding and implementing such a solution.

See my post in response to this last page. The kind of solution can't be implemented by MG, has to be offered by Valve, and they stopped offering these kinds of solutions a while ago. And probably wouldn't have permitted MG to use it anyways. There's no real possible way for MG to offer Steam games through their site again except by giving away keys. The solutions proposed here, restricting keys to people who have purchased multiple games in the past, and a waiting period, are viable solutions, if not exactly consumer or new-customer friendly.

26 minutes ago, Decay said:

See my post in response to this last page. The kind of solution can't be implemented by MG, has to be offered by Valve, and they stopped offering these kinds of solutions a while ago. And probably wouldn't have permitted MG to use it anyways. There's no real possible way for MG to offer Steam games through their site again except by giving away keys. The solutions proposed here, restricting keys to people who have purchased multiple games in the past, and a waiting period, are viable solutions, if not exactly consumer or new-customer friendly.

I read your post, and it's a fair point that that one solution is off the table, but I personally didn't think the waiting period solution was unreasonable. But then again, I don't know why most people want Steam keys in the first place - if I understood that, I might be able to articulate some reason why that solution isn't viable. People don't like waiting, certainly, but are they actually playing the game through that Steam key immediately, or is it more of an archive? If the latter, it'd probably be tolerable.

Agreed that restricting it to only certain accounts probably wouldn't fly with customers on principle, and the time-bombed key solution (if even possible; I have no idea if Steam supports this) would only be good until somebody automated the fraud a little further by doing the fraudulent purchase on-demand when a key was bought - more of a hassle, certainly, but if the money were good enough somebody would do it.

Steam currently blocks you off from 90% of its features until you spend 25 (i think) USD on games/stuff.

Why cant Manga Gamer do the same? but instead of 25 USD make it either a higher amount or "3-5 purchases".

Or just do the already mentioned options such as time delay.

Steam needs to stop being silly and allow adult content on steam... well... sexual adult content anyway.

Actually, it already does that, in select games, but for some god forsaken reason SOME people get away with it while others dont.

On 20/02/2016 at 3:16 PM, The Striker said:

I download on pirate sites ... because I do not dinherio to spend it not. Unfortunately, but if I had I would pay for sure.

I also would like to know why Visual Novels have such a high price.

But that might be a topic for another thread.