Anime and Visual Novels

Orcka

I'm just going to go straight to the point, no bullshit. 

Why is anime now just a bunch of harem teasing stereotypes, where half of the entire show is just watching characters cringing like they have blue balls over sexual situations, and the other half is creating irrelevant arks that provide no progression in story or character development? 

*COUGH*

nisekoi_wallpaper_by_scooterlights-d7ch7

Scuse me!

Perhaps I am being biased, since i grew up as a kid watching Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z while eating my cereal every Sunday morning. When I got older, I watched things like FMA, Katanagatari, Samurai Champloo, Spice and Wolf, Steins;Gate, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Bakemonogatari, Gurren Lagann and every studio Ghibli film like it was my religion. 

I still watch anime, but I have been finding myself closing the stream without even finishing the second episode because of how bored I get too many times. 

There are some glimmers of beauty though, in 2015 I saw a little show called Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso that made me cry harder than accidentally getting onion juice into my eyes when I was 10. 

Then I found the world of VNs, and punched myself for not finding it sooner. The time and effort put into writing the plot/setting, the awesome sprites that bring characters to life, the voice acting that surpasses many anime today, the multiple routes with stories within stories creating "what if" scenarios in every corner. Even if some VNs are just designed to be glorified sex games, at least it doesn't try to beat around the bush with it, you get what you get. Hell, I would probably argue that sex is something that our society shames on too much (here in the US), but that is for a different discussion. I would love to see series that at least shows some kind of sexual interaction between characters, whether it's explicit or implicit. 

*COUGH*|*COUGH*

75287.jpg

Scuse me, don't know what's wrong with my throat.....

Anyways, I want to hear what you guys think. 

A wise man once said: 

I honestly just think that you are not searching hard enough. I hear allot of people complaining about anime nowadays, but that always confuses me considering the majority of anime that I fell in love with have been from the past decade. 

Ratio wise there is of course more harem anime in general than everything else, simply because it is easily marketable, but the shear number of anime that comes out every season means that there are always at least a handful of shows that have some interesting ideas to them or at least are not traditional harem anime. 

21 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

isn't the same for the vns? for every good vn you have 10 that are really bad :/ 

"the good VNS over shadow the bad ones"

is what I want to say, but unfortunately here in the US..........

2h3u9nn.jpg

Your+face+when+this+wasn+t+a+prank+_8b90

To be fair, I generally see it easier to differentiate between bad and good VNs than it is with anime. 

1 hour ago, Orcka said:

"the good VNS over shadow the bad ones"

is what I want to say, but unfortunately here in the US..........

Well obviously, because only the good VNs are imported to the states. It is ALLOT harder to translate, program, and get the rights for visual novels than it is to sub anime. So of course only the cream of the crop will make it over. Try browsing the low rated untranslated visual novels on VNDB, you will realize the number of bad VNs vastly outnumber the good...... and that isn't even accounting for the shitty olevns that float under the general radar. 

1 minute ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well obviously, because only the good VNs are imported to the states. It is ALLOT harder to translate, program, and get the rights for visual novels than it is to sub anime. Try browsing the low rated untranslated visual novels on VNDB, you will realize the number of bad VNs vastly outnumber the good...... and that isn't even accounting for the shitty olevns that float under the general radar. 

Read the reply again, you seem to have miss an important detail. 

4 minutes ago, Orcka said:

Read the reply again, you seem to have miss an important detail. 

Huniepop is a visual novel the same way a walk across the street is a rigorous training exercise and I don't give a flying fuck what the steam description or those positive reviews say, but yeah I think I only half processed what you were trying to say.

Just now, Soulless Watcher said:

Huniepop is a visual novel the same way a walk across the street is a rigorous training exercise and I don't give a flying fuck what the steam description or those positive reviews say.

Perhaps you do not understand what the meme "I'm going to need two guns for this one" represents? 

1 minute ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Yes yes, I know, my bad.

I apologize if I wasn't being clear enough, but I was trying to convey that most VNs here in the US are pretty bad, the only exception I can think of from "official translators" is Clannad, Grisaia, and The Devil on G string. To read anything else, I need to surf the web and find an English patch. 

2 minutes ago, Orcka said:

I apologize if I wasn't being clear enough, but I was trying to convey that most VNs here in the US are pretty bad, the only exception I can think of from "official translators" is Clannad, Grisaia, and The Devil on G string. To read anything else, I need to surf the web and find an English patch. 

No love for Jast or Mangagamer? I also meant that even unofficial translations will only be for "good" titles, no one is going to translate the mediocre-to-bad titles (in most cases). Well, anyways you have nothing to apologize for I'm just kinda sleep deprived at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

No love for Jast or Mangagamer? I also meant that even unofficial translations will only be for "good" titles no one is going to translate the mediocre-to-bad titles (in most cases). Well, anyways you have nothing to apologize for I'm just kinda sleep deprived at the moment.

25sc2v6.jpg

$30 for a Princess Evangile wall scroll? 

This site is scaring me........

mumble mumble why isn't anime the way I want it to be mumble mumble

Anime has been like this since its inception. There have been shit shows every single season for as long as I can remember, it's just that people who get into anime recently are able to watch only the non shit shows, so they just assume it was all great back then. Spoiler: it wasn't.

Same thing with VNs, there's 10 kusoge for every decent game, but you probably only played the games that interest you so it doesn't seem like it.

Good news is that you've got hundreds of anime to watch, stretching over quite some decades. Also picking some old series and comparing with the new is pretty enlightening about the evolution (decline?) of the whole thing. Most of the old series aren't readily available, though the most popular are out there. Spewing dozens of animes a year doesn't warrant them being good, on the contrary, but you have a lot of backup in that case. Considering groundbreaking series happen once a year or even less frequently, you pretty much have to sit back and watch some older ones.