Exogenesis: Perils of Rebirth

grim_tales1

Sorry I couldnt see if there was a thread for this.
Basically this was a fan made VN/adventure game inspired by Zero Escape and Ace Attorney, set in Japan. it was launched on Kickstarter, and meant to be released in December 2014.

FINALLY, a recent New Year update says the game will be "ready" by June. I've been waiting a while so hope this is true.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2921787/exogenesis-post-apocalyptic-tokyo-adventure-visual

Edited by grim_tales1

45 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

what about the voice acting?did they drop it after all? 

Exogenesis - Perils of Rebirth We've been meaning to send out the prologue actually, just want it to be voiced by then. Hopefully we get all the lines very soon!

January 1 at 3:14am

according to this it should be voiced.

fk... Tay unable to put a simple button to switch damn wysiwyg editor so no way to comment normally.

There have been at least 2 threads for this game. :P Eh, I'll just consider this an "update" thread because I'm too lazy to look for the previous threads.

Nice to see they finally have a tentative release date. I played the demo and really enjoyed it so I'm hoping the full version will be up there as well because this could, honestly, be one of the best English visual novels in recent memory and I will totally be buying it.

The lack of updates made me scared that it was going to be another Dysfunctional Systems, but glad to know they're still going.

Was it that bad of a KS? From reading the updates, what I gathered is that the game ended up exceeding their budget expectations and they had other internal problems, but they worked as good as they could to solve them and let people know about it, as they should. The Ouya investment really kicked them in the ass, though.

This honestly seems really common with big games that are crowdfunded. Exogenesis is not at the typical indie VN level given its size, so one wold expect the ride to be bumpy. At least it's not another Dischan fiasco.

it got really really really delayed because of some problem with the money that ouya promised them (and everyone else) but then the company was sold to razor and they dont want to pay but they were counting with that money to pay the voice acting... they also changed the engine, so yeah they are super delayed but they are still working on the game. Delays on this types of projects are things to expect.

52 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Exogenesis - Perils of Rebirth We've been meaning to send out the prologue actually, just want it to be voiced by then. Hopefully we get all the lines very soon!

January 1 at 3:14am

according to this it should be voiced.

fk... Tay unable to put a simple button to switch damn wysiwyg editor so no way to comment normally.

that's good to hear, if they hire some competent voice actors this could turn into a really good OELVN...

Edited by Deep Blue
grammar im so sleepy i dont know what im writing anymore xD

As I recall, the stretch goal to switch the engine to Unity from Ren'py made it through at pretty much the last second. Then they had a SHIT FUCKING TON of trouble of finding competent Unity programmers. I'm not sure if I've heard of Ouya bitching about funding, but Unity programmer issues really put a dent into the game's progress. I don't even know how far along the Vita/mobile ports are.

Team Four Star (a pretty famous abridging group AFAIK) will be doing the dub, if memory serves.

Why did they make the update announcing the release window show up for backers only? I wish I knew about that June estimate earlier in the week when I wrote post about 2016's VNs. You'd think they'd want people to know about it.

Is this also the Kickstarter that conned people into thinking that it was directly tied to Zero Escape 3 and that backing it totally meant backing ZE3? edit: Nope. (see below)

They released a demo (not sure if it's still available) which ran on Ren'Py and was really fun to play. It also taught me Ren'Py could do 10 times more things I initially thought it could.
I would recommend trying it out if you want to get a feel for what the game is like, it has a couple puzzles to solve.

32 minutes ago, Decay said:

Yeah, okay, I'm glad this isn't that, as the way that other ZE-inspired game handles things really rubs me the wrong way.

I hope Exogenesis turns out well despite all of the production problems they experienced.

I'm actually rather hyped for Adrift In A Cobalt Eternity because they seem to be writing an incredibly promising story. I hope they will drop the ZE angle though, it makes it seem like they have something less than a potential masterpiece up their sleeve. It'll go on crowdfunding soon (preproduction ends next month). 

Edit: IIRC they even released a demo that ran on Unity at one point but don't quote me on that. 

Edited by Funyarinpa