Methods and Systems

zoom909

So do you have a large bookcase where all your commercial anime DVDs/blurays go? Or are they piled in drawers?

Do you have fansubs on DVDRs or BD-Rs in individual cases, or a big carrying case with sleeves? Or just a stack of hard drives? Do you have a RAID system?

Are they in alphabetical order?

How do you track what you have, and what you've seen? MAL or some other online site?

Do you keep and do you track multiple versions of the same show or movie?

This is me:

Bookcase for commercial anime and for as many fansubs as would fit in slim cases (DVDR and BD-R)

A couple of those carrying cases with sleeves for the spillover.

I back up everything I like and want to keep onto optical media. Hard drive is only for what DLing or watching at the moment.

Organization is at a minimum, lazy, you might even call it.

I have a text file with all the fansubs I'm keeping in it. But it is always out of date.

To know for sure if I have a show or not, really I have to look on the shelves and in the cases. If there are multiple versions, I will only know by looking.

Whether I've seen something or not? I rely on memory.

Are you more organized than me? It probably wouldn't take much...

I have two external HDs for the stuff I DL, a 300 Gb one which got full pretty quickly and a newer 1 Tb one. I have folders for anime, games, tv series, movies and such. I dump all my weekly anime and series into either the anime or series main folder and later compile them in a folder once the season is complete. I keep a MAL and frequently update my Gamefaqs game collection, but it's mostly for my own pleasure.

For the physical goods, since I last moved most of my DVDs and CDs are still in boxes in my closet, but I did put my anime DVD collection(mostly old stuff) in a bookshelf along with a few other box sets and my manga collection.(mostly french, with Cromartie and Yotsuba&! being the exceptions in english) Though the main part of that bookshelf is taken by my Berserk french manga collection. (currently own up to volume 28)

I also have a bookshelf for my game collection, with the few VNs I own in a better position on top with a few of my special editions and older, rarer games, the rest is organized by console. There's my french comic books collection at the bottom since it's too heavy otherwise haha organized by author usualy.

I have 2TB of external HDD and just like Forythos, I make Folder for anime, games, TV series, movies.

If the season complete I dump my anime and TV series into DVD-R so my HDD won't full

I don't have a large book case, I've just put the finished animes or TV serials DVDs into a CD cases and put it alphabetically in my drawer..

I don't use tracker, I've just recheck it before I downloaded it from nyaa. LOL

I don't use MAL, I don't even have an account in MAL (Maybe I should make one :( )

I got 4 Hardisk , 3 1TB and 1 500GB .

i make folder for anime , usualy i download all episode in all fansubs available and see if its worh the watch

i usualy remember what fansub i watch so yes i usualy dont bookmark all the subs (but i definently remember all the subs ive been donate my money :P)

1TB hdd for backup , usualy just dump all the past anime or old anime .

i track it of course , in case of BD release before i nerd rage seeing all that censored :D

I have 2 Tb worth of external HDD. My only folders are Animes and VNs though, I don't DL/keep other stuff :lol:

In my Anime folder everything is alphabetical with a specific Movie folder and OVA folder, and some bigger containing folder (like 'Gundam' for all Gundam series I have, 'Pretty Cure' for all the Precure...)

I also have a few DVD boxes on a shelf. About a dozen anime series and as much anime movies.

I don't keep track of what fansub I use, usually it's either the only one avaible or what I deem the best. (All in 720p though, my computer can't handle 1080p). I don't keep everything, only my to-watch stuff and some of the anime I want to keep.

I have anime I intend to watch "soon", manga and Visual Novels in an external HDD. I do have some anime in a drawer, but I always download what I want to watch, so I don't need that much physical space. I'd loke more HDDs though, I would use one HDD only for anime and another for VNs xD

• 5 weeks later...

So do you have a large bookcase where all your commercial anime DVDs/blurays go? Or are they piled in drawers?

Do you have fansubs on DVDRs or BD-Rs in individual cases, or a big carrying case with sleeves? Or just a stack of hard drives? Do you have a RAID system?

Are they in alphabetical order?

How do you track what you have, and what you've seen? MAL or some other online site?

Do you keep and do you track multiple versions of the same show or movie?

Are you more organized than me? It probably wouldn't take much...

Wow what a great thread. I just noticed it so wanted to give a reply.

As my collection is pretty large I have multiple book shelves and display cases that I use. For my LD collection they are stored like my Vinyl is. Hard to display as it would take multiple cases and room to do so. I also have a large VHS collection (i know, i know im old) so they are stored in bookshelves, as is my DVD and BluRay collection. Everything is organized Alphabetically (for the most part)

My wife has made a catalog of our collection, although it needs to be updated. That is then transferred to my MAL, which is a work in progress. (no where near finished)

I also have multiple external hard drives that store backups for portability.

As my collection is pretty large I have multiple book shelves and display cases that I use. For my LD collection they are stored like my Vinyl is. Hard to display as it would take multiple cases and room to do so. I also have a large VHS collection (i know, i know im old) so they are stored in bookshelves, as is my DVD and BluRay collection. Everything is organized Alphabetically (for the most part)

Do you have any fansub VHSs that you got by mail? That's how I got my 1st VHS fansub of the Macross Movie DYRL, which I dearly wanted to see because I was a fan of Robotech. Somebody copied the LD onto the tape and manually added fansubs.

My wife has made a catalog of our collection, although it needs to be updated. That is then transferred to my MAL, which is a work in progress. (no where near finished)

That's why I don't have a MAL yet, it seems like when I looked at it there was no way to import anything, you just had to keep clicking on things one at a time to add it, right?

Do you have any fansub VHSs that you got by mail? That's how I got my 1st VHS fansub of the Macross Movie DYRL, which I dearly wanted to see because I was a fan of Robotech. Somebody copied the LD onto the tape and manually added fansubs.

That's why I don't have a MAL yet, it seems like when I looked at it there was no way to import anything, you just had to keep clicking on things one at a time to add it, right?

Yea I have quite a few Fansub VHS tapes. I have a collection of FanSub Ramen1/2 VHS tapes that are just bad but are awesome in their own way.

In regards to MAL, yeah, its a pain in the ass to create a list. I Use MAL Updater, which is good for adding anime as you watch. Other then that, yep, one anime at a time.

No Ryoji, if you had Beta tapes you'd be old, VHS just means we're "seasoned" LOL

What?? Oh I didnt mention that. I have a few Beta tapes, but they are mostly anime movies that have crappy sound and video. Why anyone ever thought Beta taped were a good idea is beyond me.

Just realized I made fun of Ryoji's age but didn't answer the topic myself. I have a bookshelf, which is overflowing with DVD's, the rest are stacked hodge podge on my desk, but Little Lady has promised me I can get a new, bigger bookshelf when we move, which happens at the end of the month...with one condition, shelf HAS to go in bedroom. So in order to alleviate that slight issue we are getting a bigger place and one bedroom shall become my man-cave, lol. I also have @500 GBs stored on computer of stuff I have yet to be able to purchase.

PS Ryoji, I still own @10 (non-anime though) beta tapes ;)