Has recent Anime felt less impactful?

Kendjin

I've also noticed a flood of moe anime nowadays. Not a huge fan of that. And I miss the times when most shows were 26 episodes with plenty of time to build a story + character development.

Oh, a fellow Kaiji fan. Cool.

Let's have sex. Now.

Normally I'm straight, but I don't run into nearly as many Kaiji fans as the show properly deserves, so I'll make an exception for you this one time. :P

Also, I agree that 26-52 episodes generally is the ideal amount for a series to develop strong characters and a strong story.

actually i think there are a lot of underrated anime recently, that's because people use to compare them to master pieces such as full metal or evangelion, new anime shows are more like gold dust in the sand, if you pay attention you could notice, for example Sakurasou is far from being one of my favorites but it is really underrated there are so many philosophical stuff there that's why it caught me right away in the first episode, another example is oregairu it is really cool it's like a bit of reality in the perfect and charming world of fiction but people is way to busy to see them because of overrated series (not going to say names) or because they complain a lot about minors like fan service and lack of perfection.

Something else that I'm sure has been said already; when watching older anime, we tend to already know what is good and what isn't. With newer anime that are just coming out, we don't know and end up watching more mediocre- bad shows than if we waited a year or two.

Something else that I'm sure has been said already; when watching older anime, we tend to already know what is good and what isn't. With newer anime that are just coming out, we don't know and end up watching more mediocre- bad shows than if we waited a year or two.

That's the problem right there!! People go into older anime with a preconceived notion on what's good and what's not. I can probably name 50 shows that "anime fans" think suck, but are really great anime. That's why I'll give pretty much anything a chance.

Always keep an open mind. You might be surprised. I love older anime. There are so many gems that no one know about. It's a shame. Sorry end rant

and I can name one that "anime fans" think is the greatest ever, but is actually gods aweful in every conceivable way.

give you a hint. it begins with an e and ends with vangelion.

Man I'd love to have a serious anime talk with you some day my friend. Have a more complex conversation. I'm curious to see how deep your anime knowledge truly is.

I can count on 1 hand the people who can keep up with me lol. I've been a fan do long it would be nice to have a good discussion about anime history and what your favorites are.

I'm thinking about making a history of anime topic. There are a lot of people new to anime that might like it.

Man I'd love to have a serious anime talk with you some day my friend. Have a more complex conversation. I'm curious to see how deep your anime knowledge truly is.

I can count on 1 hand the people who can keep up with me lol. I've been a fan do long it would be nice to have a good discussion about anime history and what your favorites are.

I'm thinking about making a history of anime topic. There are a lot of people new to anime that might like it.

if by keep up you mean "perfectly remember anything and everything I mention", no. you could ask me to name off half the character's in maou-sama and I couldn't do it, and I just rewatched all 12 currently available episodes this morning.

once I remember a show I can talk about it though. you'd probably have to do a lot of reminding. and correcting. I have a tendency to mix up what happened in what show, especially shows I haven't seen in ages.

in any case, you should totally start that thread. sounds fun.

the plot is outrageous, and people keep reading too much into it in the most ridiculous ways to make it seem less outrageous. (like those book based essays you had to write in school, where the teacher had you find deep meaning that didn't exist.)

In a debate I once heard someone mentioned that it takes a certain type of mind to appreciate and value the search for deeper meanings, metaphors, allegories, etc. Almost in the same way that it takes a certain type of mind to find meaning in math equations, (I've known some absolutely brilliant kids when it came to math), but I never really understood it or really cared for it. On the other hand I often made friends with my Literature teachers and enjoyed discussing literature with them, as well as discovering the underlying themes of books (and anime as well). I am one of those people who perhaps over analyzes Evangelion, but in my opinion a story only ever holds relevance and meaning if you can find something beyond the surface of the story. I once read a quote that said, "literature is the question minus the anwser". And that applies to any work of fiction, whether it be anime or literature. What is important in a story for me is if it can get me to question things about life. The questions the story raises (and oh dear God does Evangleion raise a lot of questions) is far more important than the answers; which is why Evangelion so rarely answers its own questions. And in all honesty its up to the reader (viewer) to decide if those questions are worth answering or not. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, "to each his own". If you only want to witness a story and don't seek any value in the questions it raises than that's totally a valid way to experience stories. However, it is also just as valid to seek meaning in what you read (watch); and for literary scholars, Critics, and just people like myself, that is how we prefer to extract value from fiction. The answers we come up with may sound completely preposterous to others, but that's because each one of us draws different conclusions form the questions that are asked in fiction. Again, its not the answer that's important but the question.

new anime shows are more like gold dust in the sand, if you pay attention you could notice, for example Sakurasou is far from being one of my favorites but it is really underrated there are so many philosophical stuff there that's why it caught me right away in the first episode, another example is oregairu it is really cool it's like a bit of reality in the perfect and charming world of fiction.

I think Ryoji was at one point recommending Sakurasou, but I could be wrong. At any point it was already on my "anime to watch list" but your additional recommendation of it bumped it up the list again. As for Oregairu, I never heard of it so I'll have to check it out. In any point, thanks for the recommendations.

I've been thinking about this topic quite a bit, and with Ryoji back, I think it's a good time to ask this: As you (reader) get older, do you find yourself drifting away from anime (or video games) (or any big hobby you had when you were younger)? Is growing up a major component in your experience?

Ryoji is an interesting mammal. If you've seen his MAL, you know that he's essentially the all-powerful super-uncle of the Anime gods. (I think that's a fantastic potential title for him, actually...) He's followed and loved anime for a long while. I, on the other hand, am just barely experiencing anime, and am still in the honeymoon phase. That gives two ends of a spectrum, but what about the middle? Could it be that Kendjin (as an example) or others are drifting away because they -- as people -- are changing with age?

Ryoji is an interesting mammal. If you've seen his MAL, you know that he's essentially the all-powerful super-uncle of the Anime gods. (I think that's a fantastic potential title for him, actually...)

hahaha thanks Tay I just coughed water all over the place from laughing. *leaves to go clean the mess*

EDIT: thinking about your post Tay, Ive noticed that a lot of my friends over the years, kinda lost interest in Anime. Although I have a few that are as die-hard as I am, Ive definitely seen that happen. I guess it depends on the person/situation. With age, comes responsibility, thus leading to less time in the day for other activities. I know that during my 20+ years in the Marines, my anime activity dropped a bunch. Now that im retired, thats not an issue.

In regards to my MAL, whats crazy is its not finished. I just got discouraged because it wouldnt show the complete list (it was too long apparently)

In regards to my MAL, whats crazy is its not finished. I just got discouraged because it wouldnt show the complete list (it was too long apparently).

I didn't even know you could have a list that was "too long". :P That is certainly an accomplishment though. Only a true anime sage could reach such a feat.

I dislike the art style of old anime so I haven't watched any of those shows, but I feel like anime has been declining in quality recently. However, that could be because I've gotten more into VNs and anime no longer interests me that much.

that's a good point, when i started reading VN, LN and manga i stopped liking many anime adaptations *cough* to aru *cough*