When a good VN ends...

Kaguya

By the way, when I say "good" on the title I mean whatever you guys like.

VNs, just like books and other story-telling entertainments can bring some deep reflections about things in your life (or even about life itself). That's probably one big reason as to why I enjoy them so much, though I'd say this is actually a bonus in the whole VN and that they don't need to bring any reflection to be great (Yeah, I may be contradicting myself but whatever).

If we're talking about personal examples, I'd say playing Clannad actually helped me to sort my life (A terrifying power indeed O.o).

I'd say Key VNs in general make you think deeply about your life. Anyway, this isn't the point if this post (My bad habit of saying a lot of unrelated stuff while talking before actually entering a topic apperently shows up in my writing as well, huh?).

We all know what they can bring while you play them, but what happens when you finish a good one?

In my case I'm usually sad for a few hours that I can't convinently forget about what happened in the VN and play it again.

Maybe I feel a bit of nostalgia or something like that (Yeah, nostalgia from how I was a few days before I finished it. Even I don't make much sense out of it .-.)

Anyway! how do you feel when you finish a particularly good VN?

Do you have deep reflections about life when playing them sometimes? this is what I'd like to ask.

I definitely feel sad. And the longer it was, the longer it takes for me to move on to something else (like real life). For me it's the same with long anime, manga and books. But if it changed my life in any way, that I don't think. I'm probably just using it for escapism.

Whenever I finish something that was really good or really touched me on a personal level, be it a visual novel, a book, a movie or whatever, I try to take some time to think about it. I tend to think about what it meant, why it affected me so much, why was it so good or simply how I feel about the ending and the game as a whole.

Whether or not I feel sad, it depends on the VN. Pretty much all those that left an effect on me have felt sad, but I've had some comedies and action anime/movies which simply left me excited and full of energy after the end. Also, Key is a real tearjerker for me.

Hmm, it really is an interesting feeling. I normally spend some time thinking about the VN I just finished while looking for pictures of it on all the pages I know xD

I always do this, once I'm finished I'll look for pictures I like about that VN while thinking about it and replaying it in my head. I do this until I'm satisfied and ready to move on to another VN, however, when the VN I just finished is so awesome I can't stop thinking about it (like Fate/Stay Night) I spend some more time before starting a new VN. When you finish something you always need a bit of time to think about it and remember it, even if you finished some hours ago. The longest I've waited was after finishing FSN, I spent almost a week thinking about FSN and TYPEMOON in general (well, I still think about it).

"Do you have deep reflections about life when playing them sometimes?"

well it depends on what game I play. Normally, I engage into the story but as well find my RL disconnect from the game I play, especially if it is a fantasy genre.

For example, when I play 穢翼のユースティア, the setting and all are so far from real so it'd be really hard for me to reflect on things.

But yeah, when I finished a very good one, I got a sense of nostalgia from it as well. And also spend hours and hours search all the MADs I can find on nico and youtube as well XD

When I finish a really good VN, I reminiscent the entire story and let the mood carries me.

MLA and G-senjou are the top-2 VNs that make me feel like this. I couldn't enjoy any other animes/VN for 2 days when I finished MLA.

At least to me the sensations of finishing an anime and finishing a VN are completly different, even when they have the same quality and the same gender (I feel like using "gender" here it's kind of weird. Is there any better word to use in this situation?)

Normally I just feel "Ok, it's over now huh? To the next one!" when I finish an anime, which is a bit different from the feeling of ending a VN.

I'll almost always carry a good VN with me for a few days. How long it is/how severe the mood is greatly depends though. Rewrites message was one that had me thinking for quite awhile. Little Busters made me happy for a couple weeks. G-Senjou was awesome and I was left in quite a mixture of emotions after that. Etc etc.

After investing 20-40 hours in a visual novel I find it hard not to carry it with me in some way afterwards.

Also, that feeling that I think a lot of people get when their favorite book/tv series ends happens. Kind of a sadness like you lost a really good friend or something to that extent.