What Umaru taught me

InvertMouse

Hello everyone :)! Anyone else watching Umaru-chan this season? You know, I hated this girl so much at first. That sloppy attitude destroys what it means to chase dreams, but I gradually saw Umaru caring for her loved ones, and I warmed up to her. This is now my favorite show of the season, and one of the shows that brought me the most joy in recent memory.

In one of the later episodes:

Umaru had no internet at home so she went to a manga cafe (I think) instead. At first, she was delighted to be alone in a room with all the drinks, internet and manga she wanted. She even wanted to live there for a while. After a few hours, however, she started to get lonely, and in the end, she left the cafe several hours early to return home and hang out with her brother. That was when she looked the happiest.

The next day after seeing that episode, I went out to watch the Love Live film. Over here in Sydney, we got autograph boards, but they were limited in number, so if you showed up late, you missed out. I got a Nico board, which was pretty neat.

After the movie, I met a Twitter friend who was a huge Nico fan, wearing a Nico shirt to the cinema and all. Unfortunately, she showed up late, so she missed out on the board. At that moment, I remembered that scene from the Umaru episode I watched last night, and I gave my Nico board to her.

I love Umaru because she really connects with me in some ways. As in, I can be a bit of a loner, having the most fun when I game or watch anime alone. In the end, though, these goods are a whole heap of plastic, and I figured we probably came to this earth to hang out with people.

Thank you Umaru, and cheers for reading :)!

This is why I can't simply brush Umaru off as a bitchy character like other people do, because these types of moments just make the already hilarious slice of life comedy into something more than the average and really elevate her character outside of her trope.

Throughout the entire story, Umaru always ultimately cares for her brother, and when she shows it, you can't resist her charm.

What I also like about the series is that it has such a fun family dynamic, rather than the more typical ecchi/romcom one, and it's super refreshing to read/watch because of it (go read the manga if you haven't yet!).

Hail Umaru.

As for your personal story, you did something very noble, I think I would cry if I gave something like that away, I'm sure your friend was overjoyed.

I'd be overjoyed if you turned Sunflower Wars into an actual game though. *nudge nudge* *hint hint*

I've only watched the first episode of this show with a friend and I wasn't a big fan. She kind of annoyed me and the show didn't seem like it was going to go anywhere. I think I'll give it another go after reading this.

Actually even in the manga, up to this point the story is still in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of unsolved events :lol:

I would argue that this doesn't really have a story. Both the anime and the manga follow a very episodic format.

But I don't think that harms the series at all as even with this format there is character growth being displayed during certain events, for both Umaru and the rest of the cast.

All the fooling around is just icing on the cake.

I would argue that this doesn't really have a story. Both the anime and the manga follow a very episodic format.

But I don't think that harms the series at all as even with this format there is character growth being displayed during certain events, for both Umaru and the rest of the cast.

All the fooling around is just icing on the cake.

It does, it's just that the author prefer trolling readers rather than developing the story. 

Ebina's confession, Hikari's identity and stuff.

It does, it's just that the author prefer trolling readers rather than developing the story. 

Ebina's confession, Hikari's identity and stuff.

Well yes, there are some things that resemble what one could consider an actual story, but are those events really part of an overarching plot?

I would guess the answer is probably no.

Thank you for the responses! I am happy to hear plenty of people here like Umaru as well :D.

@Satsuki: ( ^-^)/(TuT )

@Flutterz: Yeah, I keep forgetting what those board things are called XD. A shishiki or something?

@Nosebleed: I agree with you so much! In some of these scenes, the characters hit you right in the heart with only a few words, and sometimes with a single facial expression. So great (>w<)! To be honest, I did feel a tinge of sadness for a moment after giving the board away. Last year, I got a Mami board at the Madoka movie. At the time, I was so happy, but then I put it on my shelf and never looked at it again, so yeah. Sunflower Wars is not on my schedule unfortunately but thank you so much for asking!

@monkeysrumble: I can definitely understand why people would dislike Umaru as well. Actually, I feel like they toned her down after the first two episodes. It makes me wonder if the mangaka maybe calmed her down a bit from the initial responses, or perhaps I am just thinking too deeply into this. I reckon if you still hate her after three episodes, that might be a safe time to give the show a drop.

I had a booth at a con in Melbourne earlier this month, and I doodled some Umaru pictures while I was there:

04eWbZFl.jpg

1QTqmtHl.jpg

UcQ2r7Hl.jpg

:D

I haven't watched the anime because my sense so far is that it's not really different than the manga, but I would have to say that I like the manga in spite of Umaru, not because of her. Ebina, Sylphinford, Bomber and Umaru's Onii-san are my favorite characters.

EDIT: And on topic, what I learned from reading the manga was that Onii-san is a saint and that the only reason Umaru has turned out to be anything like a decent human being even in her best moments is because she had him to rely on all this time.

Hello everyone :)! Anyone else watching Umaru-chan this season? You know, I hated this girl so much at first. That sloppy attitude destroys what it means to chase dreams, but I gradually saw Umaru caring for her loved ones, and I warmed up to her. This is now my favorite show of the season, and one of the shows that brought me the most joy in recent memory.

In one of the later episodes:

Umaru had no internet at home so she went to a manga cafe (I think) instead. At first, she was delighted to be alone in a room with all the drinks, internet and manga she wanted. She even wanted to live there for a while. After a few hours, however, she started to get lonely, and in the end, she left the cafe several hours early to return home and hang out with her brother. That was when she looked the happiest.

The next day after seeing that episode, I went out to watch the Love Live film. Over here in Sydney, we got autograph boards, but they were limited in number, so if you showed up late, you missed out. I got a Nico board, which was pretty neat.

After the movie, I met a Twitter friend who was a huge Nico fan, wearing a Nico shirt to the cinema and all. Unfortunately, she showed up late, so she missed out on the board. At that moment, I remembered that scene from the Umaru episode I watched last night, and I gave my Nico board to her.

I love Umaru because she really connects with me in some ways. As in, I can be a bit of a loner, having the most fun when I game or watch anime alone. In the end, though, these goods are a whole heap of plastic, and I figured we probably came to this earth to hang out with people.

Thank you Umaru, and cheers for reading :)!