1. 1. Characters

• Fal
    • Lise
    • Phorni
    • Torta
    • Ari
    • Ms. Cordell

This poll is closed to new votes

Haha I had the same reaction in fact I immediately picked the 'bad end' (For me it was the good end) upon getting the last choices but unfortunately I had to do the other end to unlock the last route.

Common guys, Fal is not a bad person. I don't understand the hate she is getting.

When I first read her route that twist where you discover her true personality only made me like her more. Before that twist she was a card board cut out of the "smart hard working girl" archetype. The twist actually provided her with depth. Also, the twist doesn't make her a bad person, just a realistic person. We are talking about an orphan who found an opportunity in life by being used by an aristocrat (Grave is the true villain). She found salvation through being used, obviously she would have no problem with using others as a result. Not to mention that most people in real life use each other, she is no different from most of us in this regard. All things considered I think she is quite a nice and caring person for Chris. She drives Chris to improve his Fortelle skills, and likewise Chris drives her to be a better vocalist. In that regard its actually quite a good ending.

I have to ask: why the lack of love for Torta?  Not only is she the most tragic figure in the story (by far), but she's the most likable and most interesting as well.  Her dialogue with Chris is extremely real and relatable, she's oozing personality, she's funny and smart, and to top it all off her story is so tragic that you simply have to love and cherish her.  And yet: Arietta has 4 votes.  Torta: 2.  My brain is about to explode.  Somebody please help me understand.

Actually 

Torta is dominating in votes. Since Ari is essentially Torta you should add Ari's votes to Torta's.

:P

Also in regards to Torta, I agree with you, she is probably the most complex character and she certainly deserves more attention. The only problem is that I would have to reread both her route and Al Fine in order to fully understand her. In fact Torta may very well be the next character I do a character analysis of.

Common guys, Fal is not a bad person. I don't understand the hate she is getting.

When I first read her route that twist where you discover her true personality only made me like her more. Before that twist she was a card board cut out of the "smart hard working girl" archetype. The twist actually provided her with depth. Also, the twist doesn't make her a bad person, just a realistic person. We are talking about an orphan who found an opportunity in life by being used by an aristocrat (Grave is the true villain). She found salvation through being used, obviously she would have no problem with using others as a result. Not to mention that most people in real life use each other, she is no different from most of us in this regard. All things considered I think she is quite a nice and caring person for Chris. She drives Chris to improve his Fortelle skills, and likewise Chris drives her to be a better vocalist. In that regard its actually quite a good ending.

I think that the problem is not that she uses people for her own ends, that's quite realistic, as you said. She gets all the hate because she's such a dick about it. (and after playing Al Fine, her ending gets even worse... why, yes, let's go visit Arietta, that'll give Chris the mental patient closure. Yeah...)

I don't think you've read the true route though (Phorni).

Nope actually I haven't. It's the only route I haven't read yet. But

I'm pretty sure Phorni is an extension of Ari's consciousness. Also even if I'm wrong about that. The joke was that you could assume that the Ari on the poll was the fake (Torta) Ari.

OMG SR THREAD IS ALIVE!

Actually 

Torta is dominating in votes. Since Ari is essentially Torta you should add Ari's votes to Torta's.

Also in regards to Torta, I

Oh never mind. You haven't read the last route. But to answer.

Well you can also say that Phorni is leading since Ari votes should also go to her

About Fal

I love Fal as a character. I think her view of what the world is is fine, the only problem is that it was in quite of the negative side because of how she grew up and probably because of how Grave is.

About Torta

On Torta, I think it depends on how you look at the things she did. You might feel sympathy for her as she did a lot of things for Chris' sake. On the other hand, I hate her for doing them as I don't think that's the right way to handle things. Not telling the truth is fine IMO but even going as Arietta and making the whole thing last for three years it not really something I approve.

Oh and I think my favorite character is obvious.

I like her as Arietta and Phorni. Though there's not much Arietta as in Arietta in the visual novel, I kind of like her because of the short stories as well.

Oh and I think my favorite character is obvious.

I like her as Arietta and Phorni. Though there's not much Arietta as in Arietta in the visual novel, I kind of like her because of the short stories as well.

What short stories? Now I'm curious. I love Symphonic Rain so I'd probably enjoy the related things as well.

Make that 4 votes for Torta. She didn't really stand out for most of the game, And even her route was kind of boring

(as soon as they said his girlfriend was her faraway twin sister it was obvious what the drama would come from).

But Al Fine was more than enough to make up for it, and she ended up being my favorite.

Lise's route was the most emotional, though. She had the best route, in my opinion (since Al Fine wasn't really a heroine route), but her character was a little bland for me. She was cute, though.

What short stories? Now I'm curious. I love Symphonic Rain so I'd probably enjoy the related things as well.

http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Symphonic_Rain:Sidestories

They only translated the first three. Two of them is about Arietta and the other is a Fal/Lise.

The first one is about Arietta being a Fairy and her travel to Piova. The second one is a Fal/Lise story. The last one is why did Arietta become a fairy and why she can't fly. At the very least, that's the reference I think.

I don't know if the Fuwa version includes the Digital Picture Collection where my Avatar came from. If you want it, I can upload it.

Lise best girl. /thread

There's a manga, I think. 

Torta's drama is not that expected, I saw it coming after seeing the Christmas event, but I sure didn't expect that to actually happen.

There's a manga entitled End of Rain. Seeing the number of people who read SR, I don't think we'll ever see it translated. Heck I can't even find the raws.

About Torta

On Torta, I think it depends on how you look at the things she did. You might feel sympathy for her as she did a lot of things for Chris' sake. On the other hand, I hate her for doing them as I don't think that's the right way to handle things. Not telling the truth is fine IMO but even going as Arietta and making the whole thing last for three years it not really something I approve.

Torta is as much of a mental case as Chris. Pretending to be Ari for Chris's sake is just an excuse she uses to dress as Ari. Dressing as Ari in order to maintain a romantic competition with her sister is also not quite her true motivation. Dressing as Ari, and seeing Chris actually believe Ari is alive keeps Ari alive to Torta. I think in a rather twisted way, Torta is envious that Chris is unaware of Ari's coma. The reason Torta believes that Chris can't handle the truth is because if she was in Chris's position she wouldn't be able to accept the truth. Torta is unable to get over Ari, which is why she insists on keeping her alive, even if it's through deception. Poor Torta... Although I agree, I think keeping it secret from Chris was not only the wrong thing to do to him, but the wrong thing to do to herself.

Torta voter here. I think Torta might just be less of a standout as more of a subdued character; Fal is very divisive with the coldness (admittedly more or less as complicated as Torta, but still...) and Lise really plays to the cute factor. I think if you like Torta now, you'll continue to prefer her over any other character.

Yep.  I predicted the

Ari = Phorni

twist a while ago, even though I haven't played that route yet, so I can't imagine that my feelings are going to change.

Actually 

Also in regards to Torta, I agree with you, she is probably the most complex character and she certainly deserves more attention. The only problem is that I would have to reread both her route and Al Fine in order to fully understand her. In fact Torta may very well be the next character I do a character analysis of.

I would like to agree with you on that, except

Ari is a real character separate from Torta

, so I can't.

However, I would DEFINITELY love to read your character analysis of Torta, if your post above is anything to go by.  Please do analyze her.

OMG SR THREAD IS ALIVE!

You're welcome. :P

Make that 4 votes for Torta. She didn't really stand out for most of the game, And even her route was kind of boring

(as soon as they said his girlfriend was her faraway twin sister it was obvious what the drama would come from).

But Al Fine was more than enough to make up for it, and she ended up being my favorite.

Lise's route was the most emotional, though. She had the best route, in my opinion (since Al Fine wasn't really a heroine route), but her character was a little bland for me. She was cute, though.

Thank you for your vote!

You're right, the drama was definitely telegraphed, but the twist changed everything, to my mind.  Regarding Lise, she was cute, certainly, but not particularly interesting.  Her route was easily the most predictible (not that that is a dealbreaker or anything) and probably the least interesting, for me.  It did, however, serve to make me like Torta more, as her scenes in that route were simultaneously sweet and heartbreaking.  Honestly, I think every route made me like Torta more: the standard bad ending, Fal's route, Lise's route, both Torta routes... I wonder if Phorni's route will make me like her more.

Regarding Snowtsuku and Zalor's little discussion above...

What Torta did may have been "wrong", but what's important is what she

intended to do.  Her deception may have been the wrong way to do things, but it was born out of intense love and a desire to what was best.  You can't say that, with Chris' mental state being as fragile as it was, suffering from PTSD, that allowing him to believe Arietta was ok was the wrong thing to do.  It was definitely correct.  I have a friend whose brother has a mental condition that makes him believe he is perpetually in high school, despite being in his 60s.  The family makes sure there are no mirrors around, because when something takes him out of that illusion, he goes into shock.  It's dangerous for him.  This is what Torta (and heck, even the unseen parents) were originally trying to do for Chris.  And it was so beautiful.  Unfortunately, Torta lost herself in the deception and, after 3 years, saw no way out of it.  Everytime she wanted to reveal everything, she chickened out.  That was her only real mistake: allowing the deception to go on much longer than was necessary.  That led her to "testing" Chris and resulting in her "bad" ending.  But Ninna's wisdom is what allowed her to ultimately avoid that fate and come to the understanding that Chris had loved her all along.  Yeesh... getting emotional just typing this.  Zalor's portrayal of Torta as "a mental case" is really not too far off the mark, to my mind, even if she didn't start out that way.

I've seen people say that Lise is the best heroine because "she needed Chris more than any of the others."  That could not be more wrong.  What Lise needed was a friend.  Anyone, boy or girl, to care more aout her than their own ambition.  Anyone could have filled that role.

Torta, on the other hand, needed Chris, speciifically, and nobody else would ever do.  She needed him, everything about him: his unconditional love and concern, his affection, his thoughts, feelings, words, music, likes, dislikes, interests, and time.  There was a far greater need on her side than from any of the other characters, period.

*whew*

I feel better now.

-Arvis

Then we pretty much have the same opinion about her. The only difference we have is that you think she deserves him for the things she done. On the other hand, I think she's pretty much on the neutral side of things. I guess we value her good points and bad points differently.

On the last part, I don't think it matters how much she needed him. It still doesn't make me like her. For the same reason I also don't buy the Lise thing.

Then we pretty much have the same opinion about her. The only difference we have is that you think she deserves him for the things she done. On the other hand, I think she's pretty much on the neutral side of things. I guess we value her good points and bad points differently.

On the last part, I don't think it matters how much she needed him. It still doesn't make me like her. For the same reason I also don't buy the Lise thing.

That makes sense.  But I wouldn't say that I think she "deserves" Chris, as such.  Not any more than anyone "deserves" being with anyone else.  You either both love each other or you don't. There's no "deserve" about it.  Rather, I was expressing why I wanted her to be happy and to have her heart's desire.

Were Chris NOT in love with her and left her (like he did in the other routes, which are now horribly heartbreaking in my eyes), that would suck, but it would be worse if he forced a relationship to try and make her happy.

You're definitely right, though: it really doesn't matter how much someone needs a person.  But it definitely affects how much I can empathize with them, for sure.

-Arvis

So I read the short stories, the third one was pretty boring and underwhelming and had its pictures missing. Also I didn't find where your pic came from, Snowtsuku, so an upload/link of the pack would be appreciated.

I like it since it's an Arietta story though :/

When I read it the pictures were still there. IIRC these are the pictures

ZHiUHUo.jpg

G4qBd62.jpg

About my avatar, this one came from the digital picture collection. I'm currently uploading it, i'll add it when it's done. But it came from this picture.

pgShJFt.jpg

Edit: Apparently, there are 3 pictures in the short story 3. I did not have the last one but it's also a Fata picture. You can also check the Digital PIcture Collection. The Short  Stories were there but are not translated.

Behold the power of my memory

Regarding the Symphonic Rain soundtrack, I have a neatly tagged lossless version of the ripped (ok, renamed .wav, I the best) files from the game. Doesn't include the tracks you play (in that arrangement, at least) most of the time; they are played dynamically after all and you'd have to basically record autoplays of them to really get anything. Split archive because mediafire, 7z because 7z.

Tag info was actually taken from someone's tagged lowquality mp3 version of the soundtrack (and slavishly copied by hand using foobar2000 and whatever amount of CnP I could use tongue.gif).

EDIT: fixored link.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably /possible/, but in that case it's not in any of the BGM files and you;d need to check out actual tools and stuff.

I think. I should probably check the actual 38 files there are...

....yeah, the unofficial post thingy has all 38. I suppose the other thing would be to check the Song stuff, and possibly play voices to see if it's some bastardization of playing a voice or sfx file over the tune...

...or the version of SR you're using is different than the one I used I guess. I can't remember said song.