Culture and Tradition

Kurokusari

We steal other peoples traditions and claim them as our own.

So much truth...

People from all over the world immigrate to the United States and bring their traditions with them (or they used to, anyway). I'm not sure what you mean by 'we claim them as our own." Like, if our culture embraces a certain tradition? Is that a bad thing?

Two Words: Freedom Fries. 

Is that even a thing anymore? I'm pretty sure nobody is claiming that french fries originated in the US or anything like that. Even when people were calling them that, it was just a stupid protest in response to France doing something, I think, not us trying to claim french fries.

Is that even a thing anymore? I'm pretty sure nobody is claiming that french fries originated in the US or anything like that. Even when people were calling them that, it was just a stupid protest in response to France doing something, I think, not us trying to claim french fries.

"Freedom fries is a political euphemism for French fries in the United States. The term came to prominence in 2003 when the then Republican Chairman of the Committee on House Administration, Bob Ney, renamed the menu item in three Congressional cafeterias in response to France's opposition to the proposed invasion of Iraq. Although originally supported with several restaurants changing their menus as well, the term fell out of use due to declining support for the Iraq War. Following Ney's resignation as Chairman, it was quietly reverted."

Stupid protest is stupid.

But really, if you look at a lot of American culture and common pastimes, they're either taken directly from other cultures or we make a crappy knockoff and label it superior (baseball and American football :makina: ).  The term "American culture" is kind of a joke.

"Freedom fries is a political euphemism for French fries in the United States. The term came to prominence in 2003 when the then Republican Chairman of the Committee on House Administration, Bob Ney, renamed the menu item in three Congressional cafeterias in response to France's opposition to the proposed invasion of Iraq. Although originally supported with several restaurants changing their menus as well, the term fell out of use due to declining support for the Iraq War. Following Ney's resignation as Chairman, it was quietly reverted."

Stupid protest is stupid.

But really, if you look at a lot of American culture and common pastimes, they're either taken directly from other cultures or we make a crappy knockoff and label it superior (baseball and American football :makina: ).  The term "American culture" is kind of a joke.

It feels like some sort of childish competitiveness. No offense

Wanna hear something sad? Apparently Kraft Dinner is also considered one of our national foods.

7367689812_2c719e44c4_b.jpg

Glorious.

Glorious indeed~ but I went to Texas once, and their version of Kraft Dinner (Simply Macaroni and Cheese) tasted somewhat different than ours, and I think that could be an important factor to take account when it comes to discovering why a lot of us praise KD. It is sad indeed.

• 5 weeks later...

I could be wrong, but I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet. Technically America's traditional culture has been severely marginalized due to the dominance of European immigrants and their descendants a couple hundred years ago. Native American culture has had to bow its head to the power of Post-Colonist America. Everyone probably already knows this, but I felt like saying it regardless.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really feel like America (Post-colonist America to get technical) has much of a culture. As Clephas pointed out earlier, certain states have their quirks; but their isn't much of a national culture. American culture could probably be simplified for two notable aspects: 1) Staunch Individualism (ironically I'm a collectivist, but whatever) and 2) borrowing what we like from other cultures. The culture we have most borrowed from for obvious reasons is England, but we've taken a lot from all over the place.