[Spoilers] Angel Beats! -1st Beat- (Trial) Random Impressions

Nosebleed

So I just got done playing the Angel Beats trial and I felt like sharing my impressions on it and see what other people who have tried it out think, or enlighten those who have no clue what it's about.

Obviously there will be spoilers and I'll pretty much be covering the essential plot of the trial version.

This is by no means a formal review, just my random ramblings and impressions, it's probably not really that interesting or in depth, but I figured why not post something about it since the demo came out.

Another thing to note is that since the game is fairly recent, I could not get ITH to hook properly (kept grabbing broken text) so my understanding of it is also limited to my Japanese knowledge, although given my knowledge on Angel Beats I'm fairly confident I could grasp most of it and obviously I understood the overarching plot.

The first moments follow the anime's plot closely, there's obviously more description and dialogue than the anime, but overall the progress is the same.

You get your first choice literally 2 or 3 minutes into the game asking wether or not you trust Yuri, which you can then combine with a choice that appears 5 minutes later that lets you laugh in Yuri's face, this in turn led me to get killed by Kanade (great way to start I'd say).

Picking different choices earlier on really doesn't seem to affect anything aside from the dialogue but I would assume they will impact stuff when it's time to branch paths.

After Otonashi regains consciousness and meets some more members of the SSS, you get this absolutely brilliant choice to pick his nickname since he does not remember much at this point in time.

(Rough/Mediocre/Shitty) translation by me.

TBP1SMS.jpg

Perhaps Key is finally back on the right track. Too bad it's still reheated stuff, but I guess we can't demand much at the moment, judging from their current animu/game industry state.

That player choice is rad, tho!

Since they already have some source material to work with, I'd say the visual novel basically covers the holes the anime had and gives you a more fulfilling and better paced experience since there's no time slot constriction going on, at least that's the feeling I got from the trial. Even the missions themselves, despite not having any animation, had pretty good descriptions and visual representations of what was going on and it's just a whole different experience to be able to make different choices during those times, like not let TK die under that boulder or kissing Yuri.

You're not just going to go around on missions all the time though, you actually get to take a break and go about your day with whichever characters you want so it makes the whole flag process a little more interesting.

I feel like this was just a bit different from the usual Key and I quite enjoyed it, or maybe I'm just saying this because I haven't read anything by Key in a long time.

Wait you can have the cast call you Lolicon as a name? Well I'm sold, can't throw money at the screen fast enough. 

Yes, all characters call you Lolicon (or one of the other 7 available names if you have poor taste) after that, even during serious times (I'm assuming it will only be until Otonashi regains his memory), clearly this feature already classifies Angel Beats as a Kamige.

I'm looking at the script format, but I can't figure out what the last 3 tables do. From the header there's script, string list, strings, then a list of script blocks. After that there's 3 tables which I can't figure out what they're for. Anyone have any links to any explanation or description for Key's scripts? I can't find anything on the technical side of things.

EDIT: Lol, went all the way through, and failed on the first trap, skipped straight to day 3 and it ended. Ah well.

Alright, let there be hooks!

/HWN-1C*0@17D170:SiglusEngine.exe

Not even sure how you got your ITH to load with the game properly. My newest ITH keeps trying to put in a broken hook and crashes the game. Had to mod the profile DLL to stop it crashing. But ah well, that hook should work for you.

This really saved me. Anyway the trial was very short but worth it.

There's too many scene to explore, this is the first time I got this choice scene for day 2.

K9z8WWO.png