So I'm looking for an Android smartphone

Funyarinpa

Budget not considered...

I'm looking for an Android phone.

What I'm looking for is:

*Decent rear camera (+10-15 MP, anything better than my 5 MP Blackberry really), a front camera (any MP)

*Battery life that takes you through a day easily

*MicroSD support

*~4.6-4.8 inch screen (not S5 big, not iPhone 4 small)

*Sleek and durable (not necessarily water or dust resistant) exterior design 

*Good typing experience (especially with a single hand)

What phone would you recommend? Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is my primary target right now, which kind of fits all points (but apparently has an overheating issue). I'm also looking into Galaxy Alpha, but it has less specs and the price is very close anyway so Xperia Z3C seems way better.

Primary question: Which Android smartphone (preferably near-flasghip or flagship model) would be suitable for me?

Secondary question: Would Xperia Z3 Compact be a good fit for my tastes?

The Nexus 4 (yes, the old one) should fit the bill quite nicely, specs hold up to the current Iphone 6 and it's cheap and super neat and performant.

Definitely something I'd prefer over Sony's Android devices after the disaster that's my current phone, the Xperia S Black - loaded with crap, slow, shitty PC software. Never again.

The Nexus 4 (yes, the old one) should fit the bill quite nicely, specs hold up to the current Iphone 6 and it's cheap and super neat and performant.

Definitely something I'd prefer over Sony's Android devices after the disaster that's my current phone, the Xperia S Black - loaded with crap, slow, shitty PC software. Never again.

The thing that pisses me off about Sony is that they combine the ram and internal storage memory.. Instead of having one gig ram , u have a max of 500mb.

They do seem to heat up, actually. Is that really a deal breaker?

Not really but it should never be over looked. my Sony V is two years old and still works wonderfully. However it heats up almost all the time. lack of sufficient ram and CPU man! In the long term it will bother you.

even using Kik is too much for my phone to handle. And it's a great phone. unless you like holding a hot object lol I advise you choose something with a lesser tendency to overheat.

Also, I'm due a new phone this March. I've had my eyes set on the iPhone 6 but is it really worth it?

That depends on a lot of things. iOS is a constricted system, but a simple and convenient one. The price is sky-high. Third party support (apps, accessories) is off the charts. No SD card slot, and the price skyrockets with each size. It's stable and reliable, great especially if you have other Apple devices at home.

It definitely isn't for me though.

I actually have a Galaxy S4... with 5" it's too big for you. But it isn't that big anyway. Before that one I had a Nexus 4 which was no really much smaller. Despite the fact that I'm somehow no fan of Samsung. I really like that phone because it has everything I need an the Battery life is pretty good and I can change the battery. One thing I really like about the samsung phones is that they actually have "hardware" button the front which you can feel (so the screen isn't covered with screen buttons).

I also had a Z3 compact a few days. It felt really "valent" in the hand. Also i liked the placement of the buttons. Like you said it's really resistant to dust and water. The HW specs are also really great. And I like the android versioon on it. It's not that trashed with unnecessary apps. I think you can do nothing wrong with it.

I'm going to make you eat my Bold 9900, key by key.

:makina: Please, you have to get through my Gemini, Onyx, Q10, Z10 and 2 of my Porsche Design.

Blackberry is the best phone on the market. Fact. (overly fanatic blackberry fan)

On another note, they're remaking the old classics with the latest OS. You can get them if you're searching for a classic old but modern style phone.

....Or get a Z3 for a mere $100 in some of the third world country, hehehe....

:makina: Please, you have to get through my Gemini, Onyx, Q10, Z10 and 2 of my Porsche Design.

Blackberry is the best phone on the market. Fact. (overly fanatic blackberry fan)

On another note, they're remaking the old classics with the latest OS. You can get them if you're searching for a classic old but modern style phone.

....Or get a Z3 for a mere $100 in some of the third world country, hehehe....

Or just go to china and buy something for $50 or less

Apparently Galaxy Alpha is going out of production soon, which worries me. Maybe it won't worth buying at all then since I won't be able to find accessories and such.

Why is it that whenever I take interest in an electronic device its commercial value goes tumbling down? (I'm looking at you Blackberry, PS Vita)

Maybe I should buy the Z3 Compact, that one ain't being discontinued soon.

A question: Does a phone being discontinued make much difference? I've really taken a liking to the Alpha, it seems.