Folding@Home Team

Flutterz

sigimage.gif

So I've recently remembered that Folding@Home exists, and wanted to see how much better I'd do on my PC now as opposed to several years ago, and what better way to donate processing power to science than to do so in the name of Fuwanovel?

For those of you who don't know what F@H is, it's a project by Stanford University that uses the processing power of a bunch of volunteer computers from around the world to simulate protein folding and a bunch of other extremely calculation-intensive things, and a lot of the research goes towards understanding various diseases such as Alzheimer's and Huntington's. There is a bit of a competitive side to it, because for every work unit you complete you get a number of points based on how complicated it was, and those points go toward both your individual ranking and your team's ranking.

If anyone wants to join me, simply go here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Install it, and when it asks you for an identity pick a name you like and use 227716 as your team number.

Our team stats:

http://fah-web2.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=227716

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure as long as you've got sufficient cooling nothing should explode.

Of course it will have some negative effect in the form of just being used more, but that's to be expected. A CPU that you use from time to time will break faster than one you have hidden in a box somewhere.

Downloading this right now

edit: How does the 'on idle' function work? Does it start folding if you dont touch your computer for a certain length of time?

edit2: What power do you use? Is full advised?

About the idle function, I think that's how it works, but I'm not sure.

I use full, unless your cooling system is broken or something or you want to do other CPU/GPU intensive things while folding I don't see any reason to use anything other than full.