Opinions on Guys in VNs Aimed at Guys

Lambda

I dunno, I really got fed up with the flashbacks in Kaoru's route, so I wasn't able to appreciate the Kuki ones. Seemed like every character had one. When the freaking teacher had one, I just threw up my arms and put the game away for a while. 

I haven't seen Katou-sensei's flashback, so yeah.

I like flashbacks. It shows a thing of the past.

Well, that's just me.

I can't deny that Kuki's a strong character though.

Mmm... Kuki's full depth comes out in the last path and in the FD (he's downright awesome in the FD...).  Of course, what is coolest about him is that he is just... strong.  He doesn't have any special powers, just that which he gained through training.  He is a throwback to an age where man struggled against the youkai without the crutches of cannon, explosives, and firearms, lol.  If it were him and Kotarou while

Kuki was still human, rather than taken over by the akkiborn from his desire for revenge

Kuki would win.

Mmm... Kuki's full depth comes out in the last path and in the FD (he's downright awesome in the FD...).  Of course, what is coolest about him is that he is just... strong.  He doesn't have any special powers, just that which he gained through training.  He is a throwback to an age where man struggled against the youkai without the crutches of cannon, explosives, and firearms, lol.  If it were him and Kotarou while Kuki was still human, rather than taken over by the akkiborn from his desire for revenge Kuki would win.

Kuki is not only strong, his voice is godlike too and contributes to his great charisma. (same seiyuu as Archer but his acting is even better in Ayakashibito imo)

...Cementing my need to read the Suzu route. Although he was also pretty cool in Touko's route.

Kuki is not only strong, his voice is godlike too and contributes to his great charisma. (same seiyuu as Archer but his acting is even better in Ayakashibito imo)

Junichi Suwabe voices Kuki? Doki. Why couldn't I guess that...?

...Cementing my need to read the Suzu route. Although he was also pretty cool in Touko's route.

Junichi Suwabe voices Kuki? Doki. Why couldn't I guess that...?

It's he, but referring to this : http://www.tenshi.org.uk/sdb/pages/seiyuu/Suwabe_Junichi.html he did it under another name.

Not really surprising, Nasu once said that he loved Ayakashibito and has recommanded it,  I think that's why he chose Suwabe to dub Archer for the release of a first voiced version of FSN. (it's just a guess)

It's he, but referring to this : http://www.tenshi.org.uk/sdb/pages/seiyuu/Suwabe_Junichi.html he did it under another name.

Not really surprising, Nasu once said that he loved Ayakashibito and has recommended it,  I think that's why he chose Suwabe to dub Archer for the release of a first voiced version of FSN. (it's just a guess)

Nah, the order is FSN no voice -> Anime -> Realta Nua with voices. Nasu likely had next to no say. ....Kevin Spicy, tho.

Protagonist wise Yuuji is my fav. I don't really care about his combat ability, but his inner thoughts and conversations are just so funny and amazing by protagonist standards, which can be pretty low at times given Japan's love of shitty self-insert leads.

Side character wise Kenji from KS is an OG. I ended up on his "bad" end 3 times and didn't even care. Best character in the game.

Depends on the characters and the visual, there are times when i can like male characters just as much as the heroines like in hoshizora no memoria or rewrite, and there are times when i can like them more than the heroines like in A Profile, and there are time when i can like the main character the best like in steins;gates, my honest opinion i don't think it would be a very interesting visual novel story wise if it didn't have both good male and female characters.

Yes there are alot of vns I've read that have an amazing array of male characters. 

Lets start with Fate/Stay Night shall we?

Kotomine "REJOICE" Kirei is my favourite villian ever. He's pretty complicated for someone who inherently has a "evil for the lulz" outlook on life (and questions why he is like that). Not to mention his voice acting! 

Archer, Gilgamesh, Lancer, and Assassin are awesome too! 

Umineko! Umineko's male cast is interesting. Kinzo....is a horrible person, but he was entertaining nonetheless. All the umineko characters really are complicated and interesting (except the Siesta sisters, Erika/Dlanor who act more as mouthpieces for mystery tropes, etc). 

And yes as many have mentioned, I am GAR for Comyu's Gasai. The scenes between him and Akihito were just great.

@lambda i for one did not see clears appeal to me he just seemed like a bumbling idiot. where as noiz was unique and interesting.

I... actually agree with the point on Clear. But how was Noiz unique...? Would you be able to elaborate?

Yes there are alot of vns I've read that have an amazing array of male characters. 

Lets start with Fate/Stay Night shall we?

Kotomine "REJOICE" Kirei is my favourite villian ever. He's pretty complicated for someone who inherently has a "evil for the lulz" outlook on life (and questions why he is like that). Not to mention his voice acting! 

Archer, Gilgamesh, Lancer, and Assassin are awesome too! 

Umineko! Umineko's male cast is interesting. Kinzo....is a horrible person, but he was entertaining nonetheless. All the umineko characters really are complicated and interesting (except the Siesta sisters, Erika/Dlanor who act more as mouthpieces for mystery tropes, etc). 

And yes as many have mentioned, I am GAR for Comyu's Gasai. The scenes between him and Akihito were just great.

Yeah, yeah! The guys in Fate are amazing! The amount I want a Fate otome game - a fact that was only cemented when I saw Fate/Prototype art 'cause dang~.

Which was your favourite Umineko guy? I was fond of Battler myself, but I only finished up to episode 6, so... That bumbling idiot wins~

I think we can all agree: Gasai x Akihito 5ever into the sunset. Thank you. But yeah, he was an all-around cool guy. His determination was admirable. Pretty hot character design (what...? it matters. It does.). Megane, too. I was so giddy when I saw the glasses (there's a certain charm to seeing them on characters that don't normally wear them~)!

I... actually agree with the point on Clear. But how was Noiz unique...? Would you be able to elaborate?

Yeah, yeah! The guys in Fate are amazing! The amount I want a Fate otome game - a fact that was only cemented when I saw Fate/Prototype art 'cause dang~.

Which was your favourite Umineko guy? I was fond of Battler myself, but I only finished up to episode 6, so... That bumbling idiot wins~

I think we can all agree: Gasai x Akihito 5ever into the sunset. Thank you. But yeah, he was an all-around cool guy. His determination was admirable. Pretty hot character design (what...? it matters. It does.). Megane, too. I was so giddy when I saw the glasses (there's a certain charm to seeing them on characters that don't normally wear them~)!

I totally want a fandisc about this.

Gasai and Akihito debating about sweet and black coffees on that manly bridge . (men who drink sweet coffee have no right to live btw)

Just thinking about it... I don't like yaoi but damn, I could get into it in no time. I want to ship the best pairing ever.

1) Well I wouldn't care for a fate otome game personally, considering I am a straight male, but it'd be fun to see more bromance moments for sure.

2) Battler is of courses my favourite male Umineko character, but I thought this topic was about side characters and not the protag? However, parts me want to scream at Battler for what he did to the culprit of the game.    I guess you'll see what I mean when you finish the game.  

3) Comyu should  have just been Gasai and Akihito sitting on that bridge insulting each other with coffee in their hands.

@Lambda I think you'd probably like one of the side-characters in Bullet Butlers... he is basically a film noir style police detective who also happens to be a lizardman... and he does have an ending (though it is with one of the other side-character women).  He's downright awesome in his adopted daughter's path. 

I really like what Kajiri Kamui Kagura did with the reborn Wilhelm... he is basically central to the entire premise of what they are doing, and he is just generally awesome in the endgame...   Shirou from Dies Irae has an impressive half-antagonistic bromance thing going on with Ren, the protagonist...

Dmitri is probably the best male character in Evolimit other than the protag... he is... heartbreakingly awesome in Shizuku's path.

Houkago no Futekikakusha's protagonist is probably the best 'despairing protagonist' I've ever encountered...  I mean... even at the beginning of the story I have trouble seeing how he's even in the same general neighborhood as sanity.

Comic relief characters like Eiichi from G-senjou no Maou and Keijirou from Aayakashibito never fail to make me laugh. The OP made it seem as though they were looking for non-protag's that were romance-able by the wording, but everyone seems to be mentioning their favorite non-protag main characters... I also like Shouichi from Majikoi

@Lambda I think you'd probably like one of the side-characters in Bullet Butlers... he is basically a film noir style police detective who also happens to be a lizardman... and he does have an ending (though it is with one of the other side-character women).  He's downright awesome in his adopted daughter's path. 

I really like what Kajiri Kamui Kagura did with the reborn Wilhelm... he is basically central to the entire premise of what they are doing, and he is just generally awesome in the endgame...   Shirou from Dies Irae has an impressive half-antagonistic bromance thing going on with Ren, the protagonist...

Dmitri is probably the best male character in Evolimit other than the protag... he is... heartbreakingly awesome in Shizuku's path.

Houkago no Futekikakusha's protagonist is probably the best 'despairing protagonist' I've ever encountered...  I mean... even at the beginning of the story I have trouble seeing how he's even in the same general neighborhood as sanity.