An Introduction to Corpse Party

solidbatman

corpsepartybanner1_zpsb1673469.png

I wrote this for another forum as part of a series where I introduce new games that many of the members have never heard of in the hopes of raising awareness of the game and hopefully getting them into new genres or series they may have had no interest in before. Please feel free to give me feedback and constructive criticism. I'm always looking to improve my writing. Thanks for reading!

Corpse Party began as a humble indie RPG Maker survival horror game. It was first released for PC in 1996, before getting a remake titled Corpse Party: Blood Covered in 2008. In 2010, Corpse Party was re-released onto the PSP as Corpse Party: Blood Covered Repeated Fear. It quickly gained a cult following of gamers drawn to the incredible sound, dark, disturbing story, and of course, horrific death scenes. When XSeed brought it to America and Europe in 2011, western gamers finally got a taste of the twisted game. Demand was high enough for XSeed to bring over the sequel/side story, Corpse Party: Book of Shadows earlier this year as well.

Corpse Party follows a group of students attending Kisaragi Academy who are having a little farewell gathering for one of their classmates who is moving away. The students are telling ghost stories when they try a harmless ritual for fun that will supposedly allow them to remain friends forever.

CorpsePartyCharacters_zps66105611.jpg

Friends forever?

After preforming the ritual, a strange earthquake takes place and the students find themselves separated inside a strange rundown school called Heavenly Host Elementary School. The school houses various spirits and ghosts whom are hostile to the students, along with signs of grisly murders, piles of bones, and disturbing messages. The students attempt to meet back up and find a way out, only to find that there is no way out, and they are slowly losing their grip on sanity.

Child_spirits_and_Naomis_death_zps260e52e8.png

What is so interesting about Corpse Party is how it manages to take sprite based graphics, and turn it into something creepy. While the visuals may not inspire fear, the color usage gives the player a sense of despair. But the visuals are assisted in large part thanks to sound and gameplay.

corpse-party-screenshot_zpsc37796c8.jpg

This take place before a characters gropes particular body parts of the corpse... I'm not kidding.

On their own, the visuals can give a sense of creepiness, but cannot pull it off. With the 3D stereo sound, the player feels immersed despite the tiny PSP screen. I, more than once, found myself looking around myself when someone would be speaking. I thought at one point, someone was literally behind me whispering. The sound design is that good. As you hear the screams of a child dying, you will feel chills tingling down your back. You will get goosebumps from ghosts whispering in your mind. You will feel like flies are surrounding you. It's simply stunning what the developers managed to do with the sound.

As you navigate the halls of Heavenly Host, you will find various objects and notes that may or may not help you to escape. Death lurks everywhere in Corpse Party. Reading a note may end up killing you later. Uncovering a statue may anger a spirit who will brutally murder you. Picking a wrong dialogue choice, or forgetting to read a note could end in a Wrong End. Death is everywhere. Some players complained about this, but it adds so much to the suspense of the game. You need to explore to find a way out, but exploring can easily kill you. It certainly keeps the player on the edge of his seat. As for the Wrong Ends...

Seikos_Death_2_zps8152e9b0.jpg

There are plenty of graphic ways to die, and the game will spare no expense describing them to you. No one is immune either. The youngest character is an elementary school student, and she too can die in many graphic ways. And if you think the game has horrible death scenes, the comics are much, much worse. (Hidden in spoiler tag, it's gruesome)

tumblr_m4myy9ykZI1r4xqamo1_500_zps9fbc6175.jpg

Soon, the characters begin to piece together what happened to them, and why the school is trying to kill them. Speaking of characters, the cast is very balanced. Some characters keep their cool, while others break down. That being said, some characters are very, very, sick people. One characters gets a high from seeing death, especially the death of children. Another character, as I've stated gropes, and plays with the entrails of corpses while photographing them. On the flip side, we have some noble characters who realize their short comings, or try to help others, but they are overshadowed by the twisted reality that they are in.

Plenty of plot twists take place throughout the game and the ending, no matter what, is dark. Let that sink in.

There is no happy ending

If you want your stories and games to end on a happy note, do not play this game. The story in Corpse Party is a wonderfully twisted tale that pulls no punches. For the final two chapters, I was simply glued to my PSP. The story hooks you in, and drags you into a bloody, gore filled mess.

d2f5e666f5c478b609e46a18cab58312b87454b2jpg__620x355_q85_crop_upscale_zpsc6a82b42.jpeg

Corpse Party is one of the more memorable games I have played. Using incredible sound and bloody deaths, you will be hard pressed to make it out of Heavenly Host alive. With the upcoming sequel, Corpse Party: Blood Drive, as well as an anime series, it seems fans of the game will have many more death filled trips into the cursed halls of Heavenly Host.

• 1 month later...

THIS GAME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH //WEEPS

It's just so incredibly fun and glorious- I just can't put into words-

What a delicious combination of moe and terror //sobssobsobs

I was very very close to finishing the first game but like- I happened to make a fatal mistake in not picking up a certain item and couldn't progress through the true end because I didn't have a save point stored to get that item and didn't want to start at the very beginning so I could get chased by xxxxxx again //that part was really scary aah I hate chases

BUT FOR THE SECOND GAME! I managed to finish it and I loved it. IDK a lot of people complained that the change of gameplay was not as enjoyable but personally I didn't mind because the whole visual novel format was very refreshing huehuheuhe

Just downloaded Corpse Party Book of Shadows for the PSP. It is a lot better then the first one. About 3 hours into it and its really creepy. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

YES!! AAH Book of Shadows is just so good oh my gosh THE FIRST CHAPTER IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES JUST BECAUSE OF SEIKO AAAAAAAAH she's just so perf //help

I played the first one and enjoyed it a year or more ago. Gotta admit I got stuck in the nurse's room for a couple of hours though hahaha (darn alcohol) Was a very great game despite me being not interested in playing an 8 bit game at first. While I didn't get every bad ending I got the ones you needed for the extra files after I had finished it. It is definitely worth checking out if you like video games and horror.

Is Book of Shadows any good? I might get it for my VITA that is just collecting dust like every other video game system I seem to be hanging on to for no reason. I ask because I'd want significant extra content and not be just playing the same game again.

Btw most of the manga adaptions I read were an insult to the game.

I played the first one and enjoyed it a year or more ago. Gotta admit I got stuck in the nurse's room for a couple of hours though hahaha (darn alcohol) Was a very great game despite me being not interested in playing an 8 bit game at first. While I didn't get every bad ending I got the ones you needed for the extra files after I had finished it. It is definitely worth checking out if you like video games and horror.

Is Book of Shadows any good? I might get it for my VITA that is just collecting dust like every other video game system I seem to be hanging on to for no reason. I ask because I'd want significant extra content and not be just playing the same game again.

Btw most of the manga adaptions I read were an insult to the game.

Yes Book of Shadows is very good.

Played through the first Corpse Party on the Vita a few months ago and didn't find it scary at all. Its more like a thriller of sorts. I think the overall good-naturedness of the kids and their struggle works against the presumed "horror"-aspects.

So no need to disregard this based on not liking "horror"-stories. :)

• 1 month later...

Corpse Party 2 : Dead Patient, is looking frickin awesome! Check out these PVs :

I'm glad they went back to the overhead view IMO. I can't wait to play this! (Though it most likely won't be for a LONG time unfortunately.)

Also, that escalated quickly!

According to the Wikia, they are two different games, one for the Vita and the other for 3DS. http://corpseparty.wikia.com/wiki/Corpse_Party:_BloodDrive

It had me confused as well, I hadn't realise there were two separate sequels. They both seem to be set in a hospital with more or less the same cast from the previews I've seen though. I guess we'll know more once the games are released.

I was mistaken in assuming this was coming to 3DS and Vita, it seems Corpse Party has gone back to PC! Also it was coming out today on 05/29/2013! Here are a few related links :

Official website : http://grindh.web.fc2.com/cps2_index.html

http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=766978

http://vndb.org/v11906

older article : http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/16/corpse-party-2-dead-patient-will-make-hospitals-more-horrifying/

I'm hoping that it either gets picked up by XSeed or gets a fan TL. XD I would definitely import this if it got a patch.

Edited to make it clearer, my initial post was a mess. >_>;;

Edited by Forythos

• 1 month later...

About Book of Shadows... I'm yet to finish all endings and stuff, but in general, formula for it looks like this:

Prologue (hints to something new) + Seven chapters of fillers, flashbacks, alt stories + One chapter with new story (which is in fact prologue for the next supposedly real sequel) = Corpse Party 「Book of Shadows」

Chapter I liked the most was about Yui-sensei. For me this chapter alone worth reading the whole stuff.

Second one is a chapter about Naho-tan. Never expected that she may have such a personality...

The rest of the chapters was... meh. The story as a whole won't lose much without them.

They also didn't showed me new interesting character development or some progress in relationships between characters.

Though I liked the sound and artwork. It was pretty cool to see the school in more detail from 1st person perspective.

But Blood Drive prologue was seriously good! Also the only chapter that pushes the story forward.

Too bad I won't be able to read the rest of the Blood Drive when it will come out...

Luckily, there is still OAD's with "Birthday-toka-nantoka" that looks like fandisc and upcoming OVA's. <- actually they was released yesterday! Oo

P.S.

Anyone knows where to download DEAD PATIENT Chapter1? I knew one place, but it was on some filehost and not available anymore...

• 3 weeks later...

Played and Finished CP : Blood Covered Repeated Fear and i have to admit that i'm scared to shitless playing it in the mid of night in my room, no lights on with earphones on :P

Currently playing CP : Book of Shadows but haven't finish it yet, just only went through chapter 1, and

Saeko's head got cut off

really freaks the hell out of me, wasn't expecting it to come.

But i prefer the 1st one more, since you could move around but Book of Shadows is kinda like a slower gameplay. But will continue playing it for the greater fear :rolleyes:

solidbatman

wut, after seeing this thread for the 1st time I thought you already played all possible CP's ^^

Since this thread is active again, any news on DEAD PATIENT Chapter1? Where to get it?

I wish I had. I wrote this shortly after beating the first one.

And I'm assuming XSeed will localize DEAD PATIENT once all the chapters are out. The OVAs are also being subbed right now. I'll see if I can't find them.

I wish I had. I wrote this shortly after beating the first one.

And I'm assuming XSeed will localize DEAD PATIENT once all the chapters are out. The OVAs are also being subbed right now. I'll see if I can't find them.

B-but that chapter one is a standalone ~6-7gb game. Why would they wait for other chapters? That'll be years before they come out...

Besides this is a PC game. XSeed work with PC games? (I have no idea) But fan TL is very possible.