A new beginning to an old story (Steve leaving the staff)

Steve

I can't say I know the reason behind all this because I am just like you. I used Fuwanovel to download VNs all these past years. But I never really cared about the forum community except when I joined it 2 months ago. 

But you have my best regards for your work. I hope I can still see you around. You look like a nice persion to discuss things with. :)

Dear Steve,

Like I mentioned in our PM, all of this came at a difficult time for me, and I’m sorry it’s taken me this long to respond. I wanted to make sure I understood my feelings and could articulate my thoughts sufficiently well to give you the credit you deserve, and push back a little (because that’s what we do :P) (I shouldn’t have underestimated you, you sly devil ;)).

I’ll first respond as a friend. You have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into Fuwanovel. You are a man of many talents, and the work you produce is always top notch. You’re passionate, and, for better or worse (depending on whether or not you’re on my side in an argument ;)), you’re extremely principled. Steve – you always give 110% to projects you believe in, and I admire that in you. Very much so. I believe that Fuwanovel has benefitted much by your optimism, your enthusiasm, and the hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds!) of pages of text you’ve generated in replies and posts. Nobody writes a wall of text quite like Steve. (I mean, I like to think I do a pretty good job of it, but you’re a master. *Raises glass*)

On a more vulnerable note – I can think of at least four times when I went to you with self-doubt, self-criticism, or simply feeling low, and you were always supportive. Many people know you as the potentially-insane loli overlord – which you are! (the overlord part) (jury’s still out on the crazy bit) – but I’m grateful that our work together has shown me another side of you. I think you’re a fundamentally good human being who cares (sometimes too much) about people. Our friendship means a lot to me.

… Even if I keep blowing you off about D&D.

As a friend, I feel like this move is probably good for you. You’ve entered a new phase of life where you’re boldly exploring your Japanese skills, you’ve got a thumb on the pulse of translation projects, and you’re brainstorming/planning some other secret projects which have a lot of potential. I’m excited to see what your lazer-like enthusiasm and work will accomplish. Like I said before, you’re exceptionally skilled and your work is always top-notch. I know that your biggest projects and brightest days still lie in front of you.

On the flip side, the Tay-as-administrator part of me has to hand it to you. This post was cunning and clever ; ). I disagree with many of the points you raised and the picture you painted. But I'm not sure that it matters. This was your decision, and like I said, I think it was the right one for you. Not because you aren’t welcome on the staff (I will very much miss your help), but because I think you have new projects and horizons to explore.

So, in the end, I’ll raise a glass to you. As with most everything you do, you gave it your all. If anything I’m sad to hear the tones of struggle and defeat as you describe your experience. I hope that with time, you’ll look back at this chapter on the staff as positive. It wasn’t all defeats and clouds. We all have had our time in the sunshine.

You have bright days ahead. I’m looking forward to where they take you.

All the best. Truly.

- Tay