Suikoden II on PSN

Clephas

Yeah... we really need Suikoden VI... and not that pansy-ass shit they pulled with the DS knock-offs.  Suikoden games should be full of brutal empires, genocide, political struggles, and war... they shouldn't be 'save the world' stories.

Gotta be honest I still haven't beaten the 3rd game.  Other than the horrible pair fight system that made me want to skip combat altogether, this is probably because I always try to do them all in a row: Beat Suikoden 1, move on to 2, move on to 3... suffering from some fatigue at this point.  I know I've gotten near to the end, and reached a boss that was difficult and would have required some grinding... never came back to it.  Didn't even make it that far on the next attempt.  Next time, I'm just gonna start right into the 3rd game so I can move past it and try the others in the series.

Also, dropped series' still get picked up again sometimes.  SOMEONE still owns the rights out there... somewhere...

... grinding is nonexistent, in any real sense, in Suikoden as a series... five battles and you can level up your characters to about where they need to be to clear an area.  The real trick is picking runes that fit the characters and (in the case of 3 and above) picking the skills to increase.  The bosses aren't easy, but there are only a few in each game that seriously give you a run for your money if you haven't prepared.

My problem is I tend to skip over fighting whenever possible, which always leads to me being seriously underleveled.  This is true for most RPG's that I play.  I really have to make a conscious effort not to avoid battles at every opportunity.  I still remember so little of where I was in 3 that was giving me trouble, it was back when it first came out.

My biggest issue with Suikoden is the nonexistent personalities behind the many different characters, which I guess can't be avoided when there are SO many.  Not that it stops from being enjoyable, because it sure as hell was.  Loved watching the home base expand as I got further along...

With Suikoden, most of the characters are only there to provide laughs or a face to the conflict and the soldiers involved.  There is usually a core group of about thirteen characters who create the emotional basis for the player to be involved in most of the major actions in the game, with about half of them met during the prologue.  In addition, some characters like Luc or Jeane get formed over the course of multiple installments.  One of the protagonists' mother in 3 is also an antagonist in 2, for instance, as well as a major character in 3.  Jeane really only comes to life in V, where her backstory (and why she has been alive for thousands of years and is the runemaster in every main-series Suikoden game) is revealed.  Some of the characters own stories are only understood by playing them across multiple installments (one of the major characters in V is also a minor character known for his grim demeanor in the first game, and in V you get to find out why he is like that).  To be blunt... Suikoden games are meant to be played like one grand chronology and it shows.

Last, Suikoden regular battles are ridiculously easy if you keep your weapons upgraded and level up your characters.  In most cases, just pressing the auto-battle is enough.  In the first game, all that is needed is to use the protagonist's death magic, lol.  In the second, one or two AOE spells are usually enough to clear out a group of monsters... and if you play the loopholes of the game, even the third one can be made ridiculously easy by hitting hard areas early and obtaining certain characters early. 

Heck, in II, if you sit there repeating that one fight on the cliff's edge with auto-battle, it is quite possible to max your protagonist out early in the game, as well as netting you a nice bundle of cash (about level 15. you can switch from using the protagonist and Joey's unite tech to just auto-battling and win without taking damage, lol).  That will net you lots of healing magic from the protagonist, making it easy to power through some of the 'can lose' but 'winning is better' fights early in the game, haha.

Also... complaining about grinding in a normal jrpg makes sense, since lots of grinding is generally required.  However, with Suikoden's rapid leveling and 'let go' button that appears when your party is slightly more powerful than the enemies, you have no reason to even worry about it.  Once that button appears, you won't gain anything useful from the enemies there, in any case.  It is a 100% success run away function and probably the best idea that series creator had in terms of battle functionality. 

... grinding is nonexistent, in any real sense, in Suikoden as a series... five battles and you can level up your characters to about where they need to be to clear an area.  The real trick is picking runes that fit the characters and (in the case of 3 and above) picking the skills to increase.  The bosses aren't easy, but there are only a few in each game that seriously give you a run for your money if you haven't prepared.

Maybe it was just me, but during Thomas's section in Suikoden III It took a slight bit of grinding to be able to get certain characters ready to defend the castle and repel the invaders. Other than that though yeah there isn't much grinding needed at all.

I really hope this continues for all of the games in the series. It might seem dumb, but one of my favorite things to do in Suikoden 3 was to make the characters act in the theatre just to see what would happen. Unfortunately you needed save data from both the first games to even get all of the plays, and by the time the ps2 rolled around I had gotten rid of my old save data and traded my games with friends only to never see my copies again, so I never even got to see all of the wacky antics that the game had to offer. It really is amazing that an unused copy of Suikoden 2 actually sells for more than a brand new PS4.

I have vague memories of this game.

I think I was 11 when the game came out.

Played until some street performer joined the party.

Not sure why I stopped playing.

Will likely play again, though that will be through emulation for dat higher internal res.