Koiiro Chu! Lips - A denwatls translation.

Wait was the patch released yesterday or when you made this thread? I'm confused. (Wanted to write a post on our facebook page)

Patch released yesterday, I reused the current thread for the announcement. Full patch expected in June based on current TL progress, but as always take with a grain of salt.

What's This VN Is It Good? :)

Depends on what you call 'good' of course, but I'd definitely say it's not bad.  If you're looking for something that is the essence of generic mid-2000s moege, look no further than Koiiro.

Not really, we've saved every DP we've run into but for the most part they're not too important.  IIRC, the ones which influence girl choice in common are:

1) where you buy lunch on the first day

2) whether you call out to Mirai or not on the final common day.

Also, an interesting topic that we could use some feedback on:  
   There's a complete bad-end left in Nagisa's path that PeasSoft commented out for their release.  It's fully voiced, written, and everything.  From the comments in file (and all the sample pictures on their site that don't show up anywhere in the game) it appears that they were planning a much larger VN but had to cut it back, and they felt they didn't have enough decision points to warrant actually including the bad end.  Having seen what it's based on, I'd agree it'd feel very arbitrary, and you'd also have to go a ways back to correct it.  That said, it's still complete.

So, should we include it in the game, or leave it out like it was originally (It's not included in the current patch)?

I feel like it's always best to respect the creators' vision. Maybe as a side bonus through the extra menu if that would be at all possible but tampering with the game too much would be going too far. They didn't include that in the final version for a reason, so it's best to respect that.

Mutch obliged; I recently updated the VNDB summary to be... better (closer to what was posted in VNTS as the game description).  It might be worthwhile to update the wording on fuwa to match, if possible.

And thanks for the thoughts on Nagisa, we'll continue to collect more input before making a decision.  As a side note, it'll be tricky to make a flag option or similar.  While we -have- introduced various fixes into the game (adding the BGM to the save files so the correct music plays on resumption, replacing missing voice files that were in the game, editing out other voice files that were missing and caused crashes, correcting when characters were referred to by the wrong name, at least one misspelling of a heroine's name...), we don't want to introduce a flag or the like.  I'm currently mulling over having a 'game+' patch which has the Nagisa bad end included, but nothing definitive yet.

^ changing summary done with the help of Steve and the mighty ts3 platform.

I think anything that gives us the opportunity to read the bad end is interesting. I don't really care how, though for future-proofing youd want to host it somewhere safe for a long time, which is more likely for a torrent than something on mega or w/e (well, I suppose even Fuwanovel's seedboxes might die and torrents go unseeded but...) Just look at the tweaking higurashi wiki with its many broken links, lol.

Theres this quote from 4chan that's presumably gone now and I cba to find it. Tl;dr he's doing something meh now, perhaps to prepare hismelf for nonmeh later as nobody will rage if he fucks this one up. Maybe. God, maybe that was just another person speculating, I can't remember things.

I guess in a scene where translators are really averse towards retranslating games unless the existing translation is extremely bad, it's really intimidating to pick a popular title to start your TL career on.  You don't want to screw up the only translation anyone will ever see for a game everyone wants to play. Nor do you want to commit yourself to a 100k+ line epic if you don't know you're going to follow through, while preventing other TLers from picking it up for the next year or two in the process. Honestly, I wish more translation groups carried your philosophy of starting out small. There are way too many stalled translation projects for high demand games right now but nobody else is picking up because every six months someone says "we're not dead! (but no progress)" (*cough* akatsuki no goei *cough*) I guess I suddenly turned this into an off-topic rant post, sorry. :P

There are way too many stalled translation projects for high demand games right now but nobody else is picking up because every six months someone says "we're not dead! (but no progress)"

You could say that was another motivating factor to denwatls forming, the TL has a specific game in mind that never seems to get transalted, despite being announced several times.  I agree that it'd be nice to see more groups take this approach, but I suppose each has their own motivations.

Thanks for replying, I can see were you guys are going with this thing and all the work it'll take to finish. I wish you guys the best of luck on this project.

You guys are insane, and I love you for it.

Thanks!  To be honest, a motivating for us is to simply have people read, enjoy, and discuss the game we translated, so if you like moege/school life comedies definitely give the final release a look when it's out.

The fandom perspective doesn't bother me personally, it's something one really only gets a good feel for once they've done (or tried to do) it.  The hard part is conveying why things are 'slow' to the fanbase, which is why I like to use books as a reference.  It also serves to help weed out any not-truly-committed offers for help and people looking to join a TL for recognition rather than doing a quality job; which is what we're aiming for.  For example, we have a position open for a dedicated Editor, if you've read the partial patch you'll likely notice several typos and some awkward wording which an Editor would've caught.  Some of the paths have had multiple pairs of eyes on them, but Nagisa and Mirai in particular have been Edited and Reviewed by the TL alone, and catching all the mistakes while proofreading your own work is demonstrably difficult.  But even so, we wouldn't want someone who's not committed to going through the ~13k lines (counting Misaki, making ~250 lines/day at present), they risk doing a poor job and at that point the TL might as well do it themselves (especially with the announced final release planned for the end of June).  So putting that out first lets us bring up the topic in a way that emphasizes the amount of work to a potential Editor.  Unfortunately good, dedicated Editors are almost as tough a find as good, dedicated TLs, and the additional requirement of obfuscating the group's composition and future plans makes it all the more difficult.