VN adaptations or Anime adaptations?

Otaku1612

Just felt like asking a quick question of all of you.

Which do you prefer, anime adapted from VNs or VNs adapted from anime?

I simply ask this because both could be seen to have their merits and downsides.

Nice to see a VN get some animation and more character, but can be a pain if the final choice of heroine isn't the one you picked. Likewise, it can be nice to have a chance to pick the heroine that you wanted from an anime. What's your opinion? As the great Jeremyjahns says, comment below, let me know!

hmm, VN adapted from anime. i guess this is the right one since i like picking myself the right heroine for me. I hate it when my heroine isn't picked in a animation but that is understandable. Besides, VN tend to have much more story than an anime adaption. A lot of animation have cliffhangers at the end.

Anime adapted from a VN tends to be really bad in most cases due to several factors like the unability of picking a single heroine or route per say and then the story suffers greatly from it.  Examples: 11eyes, Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity, Little Busters, and the list goes on and on.

Unless the VN is a kinetic novel like Higurashi or doesn't have many routes like School Days it will almost certainily fail due to the fact that it's impossible to cover all the ground the VN offers and that's where the main issue lies. There are very few good VN adaptations.

There aren't really many VNs adapted from anime because VNs tends to be the source/original material and also anime itself is already an adaptation of a manga/novel for most cases so, unless the VN is a totally new piece of content with a different setting/story based off the anime, an adaptation of an adaptation is kind of meh.

But ignoring these facts, VNs adapted from any other source material generally tend to be better because they offer something the anime (or other medium) didn't have and that's usually good no matter how you look at it. Has anyone ever complained about having extra content? I didn't. Most of the times it even offers a different story and setting which surpasses the original in many ways and offers you a much wider range of experiences and make you feel better regarding the franchise than the anime did. Examples: Oreimo, Toradora Portable

That is why i do prefer a VN that's adapted from an anime as opposed to an anime adapted from a VN

Unless the VN the anime was adapted from is a kinetic novel or has a very linear plot then it will most likely fail as an anime unless you put it in an omnibus format like Amagami did which was great by the way and more shows need to start doing that for romance adaptations of VNs instead of giving us a crappy "harem" end.

I would assume that in general a VN adapted from an anime would be better because it's a more versatile medium, but the only such VN I've played is ToraDora, which I liked but only played a few hours of so far. On the other hand we have Clannad - my favourite anime adapted from my favourite VN, so as of right now I like anime adapted from VNs more. :P

Let the imagination run wild. I think that an Visual Novel adapted from an anime gives one the thoughts of "how this should have ended" or "how this could have happened". The adaption would either let peoples dreams come true, or completely crush them as that person isn't a choice. I assume that most people would dislike having their favourite heroine not be chosen, but to hate an entire Visual Novel over it would be barbaric (unless there was some SERIOUS flaws with the novel). All to their own, I just like having the option of choosing the girl I fell for in the anime rather then letting a writer or producer choose it for me.