Need help selecting next VN's

ChaosWraith

I just finished Muv-Luv Alternative and now I'm depressed as all hell...

Fuck that ending, basically saying "go play the fandisc if you want closure/happiness". I would if it was translated, but it isn't.... So I'm screwed... After playing through Extra and Unlimited just to end that way on Alternative pissed me off so much, especially when they just started chain-killing off all the characters....

I need an extreme dose of happiness filled VN's... No Nakige please, normally I'd jump on them but I need cheering up sooner rather than later, so if you know any good purely lighthearted VN's please let me know. Preferences wise: H-Scenes prefered but not required, Breasts > Loli.

My VNDB list shows what I've played already: http://vndb.org/u50382/list

Translated only stuff please.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone, so I just finished Monster Girl Quest part 3 and have realized that I have nothing planned to read after it... I'm hoping I can get some assistance with the matter.

So I only started reading VN's early this year and I've already read what I'd consider quite a considerable amount. Me and 3 of my friends decided to finally take the plunge and start reading the VN's we all heard about so much but never bothered trying, we started simple with Katawa Shoujo and all 4 of us got hooked.

Since then we have all been reading VN's pretty much back to back and we would recommend titles to one another based on what we knew about the others tastes, the only problem being with myself - I read too fast (I've been told I have an average read speed of around 350 words per minute) and I've unfortunately left all my friends in the dust, they now have quite a large list of recommendations from myself but now I can no longer get recommendations from them.

So I turn to the internet in hopes of seeking aid.

I added a list of my played VN's on my VNDB here, but beyond that I can say that my favourite VN is Majikoi, followed closely by Grisaia no Kajitsu, G-senjou no Maou and Katawa Shoujo.

Preferences wise: I love breasts and am not a huge fan of loli's (Monshiro being the only loli I've ever truely liked), so please nothing with an all loli cast and I prefer VN's with sexual content over non, but if it's still good enough without needing H I will still read it (Little Busters and Rewrite for example) - I just feel like I need to see the relationship between the characters reach its peak and if they don't "seal the deal" so-to-speak then I feel somewhat disappointed.

Also please don't recommend something that isn't translated, I've tried using machine-translation methods before and I just couldn't stand it (I tried reading the untranslated routes in Majikoi, Majikoi S and Majikoi A).

Thank you all very much, I hope I can get started reading again ASAP.

One of my personal favorites is Yume Miru Kusuri. You should check that out if you haven't.

Scratch that, I just missed your VNDB link.

In that case what about Heart de Roommate? It's charming and once you get over the awkward translation it's pretty entertaining.

Yeah, I've read Yume Miru Kusuri (and loved it despite Mizuki's bad ending crushing my heart, I avoided the other 2 bad endings purposefully after witnessing that).

It appears one of my friends has downloaded Heart de Roommate ahead of time (it's in our collaborated download box), seems short and sweet I'll definitely give it a look.

Since you rank G-senjou no Maou amongst your favorites, I think you might enjoy Sharin no Kuni.

Looks very interesting, I'll be grabbing that ASAP. I see it also has a fandisc too, is that any good?

That's a nice list, even if a lot of it is Sono Hanabira. :P

But you're missing a lot of great VNs:

Ever17 and Steins;Gate are must-reads, if you like Key stuff (Little Busters and Rewrite) you should try their other VNs: Clannad, Kanon, Air and Planetarian; Symphonic Rain is similar to Key stuff, but is not made by them. If you want something short try True Remembrance or Saya no Uta, although the latter isn't everyone's cup of tea. Finally if you want some mystery, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni are great.

A lot of this stuff doesn't have H-scenes though, with the exception of Kanon, Air and Saya no Uta, but skipping them for that reason would be silly in my opinion.

Edit: Oh, and how could I forget the Muv-Luv trilogy. It has both H-scenes and a great story once Alternative starts. Extra and Unlimited are worse but generally considered required to get the full experience from Alternative.

It's worth grabbing for the Houzuki chapter. The others, from what I recall, is mostly ero stuff.

If its got at least one good chapter then I'll definitely grab it, the fanservice ero can be great for downtime before I pickup the next title.

That's a nice list, even if a lot of it is Sono Hanabira. :P

But you're missing a lot of great VNs:

Ever17 and Steins;Gate are must-reads, if you like Key stuff (Little Busters and Rewrite) you should try their other VNs: Clannad, Kanon, Air and Planetarian; Symphonic Rain is similar to Key stuff, but is not made by them. If you want something short try True Remembrance or Saya no Uta, although the latter isn't everyone's cup of tea. Finally if you want some mystery, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni are great.

A lot of this stuff doesn't have H-scenes though, with the exception of Kanon, Air and Saya no Uta, but skipping them for that reason would be silly in my opinion.

Edit: Oh, and how could I forget the Muv-Luv trilogy. It has both H-scenes and a great story once Alternative starts. Extra and Unlimited are worse but generally considered required to get the full experience from Alternative.

If I remember correctly I was like "I want to try a Yuri VN" then I got recommended Sono Hanabira and I read the 8 translated ones in one weekend. It was way overboard with the constant sex scenes but I enjoyed it for what its worth, it was short and sweet though I wouldn't recommend them to anyone expecting a story.

I'll be sure to add the recommendations to my list of things to grab, I actually grabbed Air last night after reading Kaguya's thread.

I've actually had Muv-Luv sitting waiting to be installed for awhile now... I've just been cautious because everyone tells me "Alternative is absolutely amazing" but the only thing good I've heard about the others is that "they are required to read Alternative" :\ It's kind of like being told "this book gets really good once you get to chapter 9". Is everyone overexagerating? If its the truth I guess I'll have to man up and grind through the others to get to Alternative.

If its got at least one good chapter then I'll definitely grab it, the fanservice ero can be great for downtime before I pickup the next title.

If I remember correctly I was like "I want to try a Yuri VN" then I got recommended Sono Hanabira and I read the 8 translated ones in one weekend. It was way overboard with the constant sex scenes but I enjoyed it for what its worth, it was short and sweet though I wouldn't recommend them to anyone expecting a story.

I'll be sure to add the recommendations to my list of things to grab, I actually grabbed Air last night after reading Kaguya's thread.

I've actually had Muv-Luv sitting waiting to be installed for awhile now... I've just been cautious because everyone tells me "Alternative is absolutely amazing" but the only thing good I've heard about the others is that "they are required to read Alternative" :\ It's kind of like being told "this book gets really good once you get to chapter 9". Is everyone overexagerating? If its the truth I guess I'll have to man up and grind through the others to get to Alternative.

Oh Sono Hanabira isn't bad, it's just made for something other than story. ;)

It really depends on how much you can tolerate absolutely mediocre slice-of-life. I can tolerate it, so the first two games weren't too bad for me, and then I was completely blown away by Alternative. 

Oh Sono Hanabira isn't bad, it's just made for something other than story. ;)

It really depends on how much you can tolerate absolutely mediocre slice-of-life. I can tolerate it, so the first two games weren't too bad for me, and then I was completely blown away by Alternative.

Yep... Definitely not for the story. If you know of any Yuri VN's that actually have story, let me know!

I'll grind through it eventually then, if its worth it in the end than I should survive

Well, you *don't* need to read extra, not really. It might help with context, but you'll get the necessary info from flashbacks and dialogue in MLU and MLA anyway. MLU, however, is not bad at all and it's required to read Alternative.

Extra isn't that bad, if you know what you're getting into (generic romcom harem). Unlimited is actually pretty good, even though it's not even close to Alternative.

It's not the case for absolutely everyone, but MLA might be one of the best VNs you'll ever read. It'd be a shame to not get full experience out of it, just to avoid playing a meh game for 10 hours. People who try to skip Extra most often regret it and end up going back to it before it's too late.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Muv-Luv Alternative and now I'm depressed as all hell...

Fuck that ending, basically saying "go play the fandisc if you want closure/happiness". I would if it was translated, but it isn't.... So I'm screwed... After playing through Extra and Unlimited just to end that way on Alternative pissed me off so much, especially when they just started chain-killing off all the characters....

I need an extreme dose of happiness filled VN's... No Nakige please, normally I'd jump on them but I need cheering up sooner rather than later, so if you know any good purely lighthearted VN's please let me know. Preferences wise: H-Scenes prefered but not required, Breasts > Loli.

My VNDB list shows what I've played already: http://vndb.org/u50382/list

Translated only stuff please.

I'll back some of these up with reviews by yours truly:

The Da Capo games are lighthearted enough.

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/games-for-adults-da-capo.html

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/games-for-adults-da-capo-2.html

If you don't mind gameplay then Princess Waltz is definitely worth playing though I should point out the story is 99.9% linear.

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/games-for-adults-princes-waltz.html

Another one worth playing if you don't mind gameplay is Koihime Musou, though the gameplay isn't really complicated or difficult.

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/games-for-adults-koihime-musou-heart.html

Moero Downhill Night 1 and 2 are pretty good, though the second game is alot better than the first:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/games-for-adults-moero-downhill-night.html

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/games-for-adults-moero-downhill-night-2.html

Come See Me Tonight 2 is pretty good, better than the first game which is just okay.