What is your motivation?

Cali

But games still have actual gameplay which, if fun enough, can make one overlook a mediocre story (DMC series and a million other things come to mind). Aside from occasional choices, both VNs and anime are pure storytelling, hence why I made the connection. VNs may have killed my interest in anime but I doubt they will ever replace games for me.

your right i was thinking more of the atmosphere that some games can convey ^_^

But games still have actual gameplay which, if fun enough, can make one overlook a mediocre story

That really depends from person to person. I for example can't play games that don't have good story no matter what the gameplay is like. Without good story there is just nothing that drives me to continue to play it, and the gameplay it self bores me pretty quick if there is no story behind it. That is why these days only games I play are those like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Starcraft II... Witch have great stories and interesting characters.

That really depends from person to person. I for example can't play games that don't have good story no matter what the gameplay is like. Without good story there is just nothing that drives me to continue to play it, and the gameplay it self bores me pretty quick if there is no story behind it. That is why these days only games I play are those like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Starcraft II... Witch have great stories and interesting characters.

That's definitely true, I was only referring to myself. I can understand why some people wouldn't like games without good, engaging stories.

You don't like any kind of multiplayer games then? or is starcraft 2 an exception?

I like that vn's because they have pictures, music and auto scrolling text or button pressing. Takes alot of the effort out of the reading. I don't need to visualise much, I don't need to move at all. It's a long and artful anime  I can choose the reading speed of.

There are few things better than laying down in my sofa after a days work, drinking a cold drink. I don't even notice the hours pass by haha. It's my little eden.

You don't like any kind of multiplayer games then? or is starcraft 2 an exception?

Nope, no multiplayer games for me, I was referring to Starcraft 2 singleplayer canpain. Well sometimes in the future they might make some multiplayer game that I will like but I don't see that happening any times soon.

I like that vn's because they have pictures, music and auto scrolling text or button pressing. Takes alot of the effort out of the reading. I don't need to visualise much, I don't need to move at all. It's a long and artful anime  I can choose the reading speed of.

Yea i think thats why i don't read normal books. My own fantasy and visual interpretation is nonexistent <_<

It's interesting to see how everyone has plenty of different reasons and yet they can all be together in one big community that is the anime community.

As far as myself i don't want to get too emotional or share some deep personal story so to summarize it.

I've pretty much been non sociable in the 3D world for as long as i can remember, even communicating with my parents is a hassle. After  discovering the internet around the age of 13 (I didn't have a computer or laptop before that) i sort of had my own place where i could look for stuff i liked and enjoy myself to some degree without much effort. However i never really had what some people would consider a hobby, sure you can consider being on the computer one but to me it wasn't since everyday there was something different to do and nothing really made me feel fullfilled. Around the age of 17 (It was early march 2012) i was browsing through my TV (Mind you the cable providers here don't have any channels dedicated to anime or anything of the sort) and found a service with a bunch of fanmade channels and a lot of them were anime related. Me having nothing to do and being a hormonal teenager started looking at the ecchi ones. Needless to say i enjoyed them thoroughly at the time and i kept looking around for more. This was the turning point where i started becoming interested in anime. Soon enough instead of using the TV i started browsing anime on my computer and found a lot of shows that would possibly interest me, even non ecchi and eventually i starting growing my own personal tastes in genres. I got very into romance anime and other bright themed shows. For me anime became my personal hobby, it became something i can watch wether i'm bored or just want to relax, the variety and amount of genres is infinite, there's so much to watch and i always find some time to watch some and for as long as i can remember it has kept me entertained and happier than the 3D world has where nothing really goes well for me. It's been over a year now and i've seen over 300 anime and i'll keep doing so until the day i die.

As far as visual novel goes they are an extension of me being interested in the anime culture. I got very interested in Little Busters after watching the first season of the anime and i was in love with Kud (Yes i was already a lolicon at the time) and that made me want to download the novel so i could see an ending i would find befitting which would be one with Rikki and Kud and after playing the entire novel i realised how great of a work it was, how beautifully designed it was and how entertaining it was. I realised that reading the novels instead of watching the anime can still be a fullfilling experiment that i wasn't aware of since i was never the reader type. After that i became interested in more novels like Little Busters that share the same qualities and depth and here i am today enjoying anime and reading visual novels in my spare time.

No matter the reasons we all have the most important thing is how we can all share likes for the same things, that's why i never regretted becoming into the anime culture or the japan culture even, i feel like other people with the same tastes understand me more than most people in the 3D world would and i don't think that is any sort of a failure.

It's interesting to see how everyone has plenty of different reasons and yet they can all be together in one big community that is the anime community.

As far as myself i don't want to get too emotional or share some deep personal story so to summarize it.

I've pretty much been non sociable in the 3D world for as long as i can remember, even communicating with my parents is a hassle. After  discovering the internet around the age of 13 (I didn't have a computer or laptop before that) i sort of had my own place where i could look for stuff i liked and enjoy myself to some degree without much effort. However i never really had what some people would consider a hobby, sure you can consider being on the computer one but to me it wasn't since everyday there was something different to do and nothing really made me feel fullfilled. Around the age of 17 (It was early march 2012) i was browsing through my TV (Mind you the cable providers here don't have any channels dedicated to anime or anything of the sort) and found a service with a bunch of fanmade channels and a lot of them were anime related. Me having nothing to do and being a hormonal teenager started looking at the ecchi ones. Needless to say i enjoyed them thoroughly at the time and i kept looking around for more. This was the turning point where i started becoming interested in anime. Soon enough instead of using the TV i started browsing anime on my computer and found a lot of shows that would possibly interest me, even non ecchi and eventually i starting growing my own personal tastes in genres. I got very into romance anime and other bright themed shows. For me anime became my personal hobby, it became something i can watch wether i'm bored or just want to relax, the variety and amount of genres is infinite, there's so much to watch and i always find some time to watch some and for as long as i can remember it has kept me entertained and happier than the 3D world has where nothing really goes well for me. It's been over a year now and i've seen over 300 anime and i'll keep doing so until the day i die.

As far as visual novel goes they are an extension of me being interested in the anime culture. I got very interested in Little Busters after watching the first season of the anime and i was in love with Kud (Yes i was already a lolicon at the time) and that made me want to download the novel so i could see an ending i would find befitting which would be one with Rikki and Kud and after playing the entire novel i realised how great of a work it was, how beautifully designed it was and how entertaining it was. I realised that reading the novels instead of watching the anime can still be a fullfilling experiment that i wasn't aware of since i was never the reader type. After that i became interested in more novels like Little Busters that share the same qualities and depth and here i am today enjoying anime and reading visual novels in my spare time.

No matter the reasons we all have the most important thing is how we can all share likes for the same things, that's why i never regretted becoming into the anime culture or the japan culture even, i feel like other people with the same tastes understand me more than most people in the 3D world would and i don't think that is any sort of a failure.

I totaly get wath are you saying and i agree in moust of it. The one part that I disagree is "important thing is how we can all share likes for the same things" . I thing that insted of "likes" you should said "pasion" as just liking anime and/or VNs is not inaf to be "together in one big community that is the anime community" . And the proof for this should be forums like MAL, even if evrybady there likes watching anime at leat a litle bit moust of them aren't realy pasion about it and the resulut is that people there not just aren't together in one big anime community but it could be said that they created comuniti full of hate and troling that is directed toward piple who don't like but love watching anime. If you think that I am exaggerate things you obviusly didn't hang around MAL forum.

I totaly get wath are you saying and i agree in moust of it. The one part that I disagree is "important thing is how we can all share likes for the same things" . I thing that insted of "likes" you should said "pasion" as just liking anime and/or VNs is not inaf to be "together in one big community that is the anime community" . And the proof for this should be forums like MAL, even if evrybady there likes watching anime at leat a litle bit moust of them aren't realy pasion about it and the resulut is that people there not just aren't together in one big anime community but it could be said that they created comuniti full of hate and troling that is directed toward piple who don't like but love watching anime. If you think that I am exaggerate things you obviusly didn't hang around MAL forum.

Well i guess passion would be a more broad word for it, I understand what you're saying and i am a user on MAL so i see your point, but i think the overall idea of what i wrote was conveyed well enough.When i said the word likes i was referring to certain genres and other things within anime itself. I don't like every single anime just like everyone has their personal tastes, that's why i said likes instead of passion. I'm passionate about the anime genres i like and enjoy.

Basically what i tried to say was I'm happy i ever got into anime and was able to meet more people that are accepting of it and are as passionate as i am about it. 

Okay, I'll be the first to say it: my motivation is fap.

I read plot-heavy VNs for a good story and a good fap. I read moege for tons of moe and a fap. I read nakige to satisfy my hunger for emotions and to fap. And I read nukige solely for fap. You can clearly see the reason that goes for all VN genres, so it means I read VNs for fap. :rolleyes:

Not convincing? Well, for me too. Wouldn't go for the trouble of learning moon for such a trivial reason, but still it's true to some extent.

Okay, I'll be the first to say it: my motivation is fap.

I read plot-heavy VNs for a good story and a good fap. I read moege for tons of moe and a fap. I read nakige to satisfy my hunger for emotions and to fap. And I read nukige solely for fap. You can clearly see the reason that goes for all VN genres, so it means I read VNs for fap. :rolleyes:

Not convincing? Well, for me too. Wouldn't go for the trouble of learning moon for such a trivial reason, but still it's true to some extent.

Well that was surprisingly blunt. I praise you for your honesty.

I love good stories. At first, I thought video games could tell great stories like no other medium. Then I got into anime and found even more stories that I loved. One day I came across a review for Ever17 and read a bit. I found that I loved that. And now, here I am, solely based off my love of a great story. 

Yea i think thats why i don't read normal books. My own fantasy and visual interpretation is nonexistent <_<

I actually have a fairly good imagination. Some people wish they had a really good imagination, but it's not all that it's cut out to be. A lot of times, I can get these really good images in my head of what I want to show and tell to others, but since I have absolutely no creativity, there is no way for me to get that image across to other people and that can get really frustrating in itself. And another problem for me is that with just a mention of a word, my mind can basically explode with so many different images and other things that I can get completely off topic of whatever it is that I was doing.

I started watching anime a long time ago when Toonami was airing (I think it is now?) but didn't pay much attention to specific TV shows at the time.  Later my brother introduced me to ones that were airing in japan and being subbed like One Piece and the original Naruto.  One Piece got me hooked and that's when I started to branch out to find new anime to watch.  I eventually also got hooked playing ordinary online games where I met more people who enjoyed anime and even got introduced to more.  After watching an absurd amount (in my opinion) in a row I eventually came to the point where I wanted to find something new again, and that's when I was introduced into Visual Novels, with my first being Clannad, and to this day I'm thankful for it.  To put it bluntly, I enjoy anime and visual novels, and rarely manga as well, I can't describe it any better.

I actually have a fairly good imagination. Some people wish they had a really good imagination, but it's not all that it's cut out to be. A lot of times, I can get these really good images in my head of what I want to show and tell to others, but since I have absolutely no creativity, there is no way for me to get that image across to other people and that can get really frustrating in itself. And another problem for me is that with just a mention of a word, my mind can basically explode with so many different images and other things that I can get completely off topic of whatever it is that I was doing.

Stanley you make me feel like an empty shell when you say it like that haha  :lol: I donno if its because im weird but i couldn't in a million years try to imagine something from a book clearly enough to make sense. Let alone try and explain it with stickmen ^_^ 

Reminds me of my school days where we had to do write a small reference/resume (donno the correct english term) of a book. I think i put together 2 lines of text and drew a fat stickcat on the bottom. I couldn't figure out the book because to me it looked like endless lines of words with no context. i just read the words not the sentences and it felt like pure torture, still have nightmares about it....

Stanley you make me feel like an empty shell when you say it like that haha  :lol: I donno if its because im weird but i couldn't in a million years try to imagine something from a book clearly enough to make sense. Let alone try and explain it with stickmen ^_^

Reminds me of my school days where we had to do write a small reference/resume (donno the correct english term) of a book. I think i put together 2 lines of text and drew a fat stickcat on the bottom. I couldn't figure out the book because to me it looked like endless lines of words with no context. i just read the words not the sentences and it felt like pure torture, still have nightmares about it....

Hmm, I guess I don't really know what it's like to not be able to imagine. But like I said, just like with any other thing, it has it's ups and downs. And I think the word you were looking for was summary.

Cali you might just not trying hard enough to imagine as even for VNs you need imagination, I mean in VNs you get visual on places where things are occurring and on characters looks but you still need to imagine their movements. So it might be that you just didn't read books that interest you enough to try to imagine.

Cali you might just not trying hard enough to imagine as even for VNs you need imagination, I mean in VNs you get visual on places where things are occurring and on characters looks but you still need to imagine their movements. So it might be that you just didn't read books that interest you enough to try to imagine.

I think that might make more sense yea. As stupid as it sound's i don't think i would enjoy reading anything if i can't get any visual clues from pictures or even front cover.

Even if it get's described where and when in the book it takes place i would keep losing focus on that since there is no transistance between the "areas". I guess that's probably the best i way i can describe it.