Wondering about a complete list of licensed VNs

bakauchuujin

So far I haven't really found any orderly list of VNs officially released in the west. The only thing I found was a list that included official as well as fan translated VNs that was last updated back in 2015. As of late there has been an increase in both the amount of new localization companies as well as how many VNs some of the older ones release. Because of this I think it has become more difficult to find out which VNs that are worth considering to buy. Simply put, the more VNs there are the harder it is to keep track of everything of value that has released. One thing I wondered about is if it would be good to first have the VNs by company and then put them in different rankings based on amounts of votes on VNDB and then have them sorted by score and have additional info such as lenght and possibly things like if it is censored or not.

I gues it would look something like this ( I went with Frontwing because I didn't bother doing one with many releases. If I end up making the list I will try to add all noteworthy companies)

Frontwing

5000+ votes (would be removed since none is within this range)

2000-5000 votes (would be removed since none is within this range)

1000-2000 votes 

Subarashiki Hibi score 8.75 lenght 30 - 50 hours

500-1000 votes (would be removed since none is within this range)

200-500 votes 

Corona Blossom score 6.74 lenght 10-30 hours

50-200 votes

Island score 8.07 lenght 30-50 hours (not yet released in the west)

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger score 7.30 lenght unknown

1-50 votes (would be removed since none is within this range)

Not yet released

Momoiro Closet

So I am wondering whether people think this would be a nice type of list or if it is unnecesary/harmfull and if people have any other way they would do such a list or improvement to the list (additional info or change the order of things)

Edited by bakauchuujin

2 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Yeah, it gets harder and harder to keep track of what's getting released. :sleep:

I actually would like some kind of filter on VNDB that only lists VN's with English translations, regardless if fan translated or official.

It's not that perfect, since it also lists ongoing projects and future releases, but in your search choose English in the Language tab and Japanese in the Original Language tab.

One problem with making such a list is that it will be really large in size since both Mangagamer and Sekai Project have over 100 titles, so I am kind of wondering if that would even work, atleast on fuwanovel forums. Anyone know a way to fix this problem?

Edited by bakauchuujin

53 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

It's not that perfect, since it also lists ongoing projects and future releases, but in your search choose English in the Language tab and Japanese in the Original Language tab.

That's actually a pretty cool hint. Didn't know about the language filter.

However, the big problem I have now, is that every semi decent VN is buried in 20 - 30 garbage OELVN's. Mother of god, I wasn't aware what rubbish gets released on a daily base. And people are complaining about Sakura games. :o

On second thought, I think I should remove the filter or even change it to Japanese only. My eyes did start to bleed - I fear for my health. :nokia:

Edit: Oh, I missed the second part with original language Japanese. Much better now!!!

Edited by ChaosRaven

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

I actually would like some kind of filter on VNDB that only lists VN's with English translations, regardless if fan translated or official.

You can get decent list on VNDB if you can figure out how to use filters. Use this one for instance: https://vndb.org/v/all?q=&fil=&rfil=type-complete.doujin-0.released-1.lang-en.plat-win&s=title&o=a

It will list VNs where at least one release has the following: full commercial release in English for windows.

Here is another: https://vndb.org/v/all?q=&fil=&rfil=type-complete.patch-1.freeware-1.released-1.lang-en.plat-win&s=title&o=a

This time it's full releases of freeware patches.

You can adjust the filters as needed, but I think this is the closest you can get for a complete list. Some things can be filtered on both VNs and releases, in which case you will likely want to filter releases. Doing it on VNs mean if you filter for English releases for windows, it will hit English in one release and Japanese release for windows in another, but not English release for windows. VN filters are still useful for some tasks, such as filtering for tags.