Very Complicated VN Request for excited VN Fan

boringsoul

Hey guys.

I know my request may sound weird, but can you recommend a visual novel without literally any school related topics? I guess it's too unclear.

I have played everything. VNs with school (yume miru kissuru(masterpiece), katawa shoujo(masterpiece+), muv luv, blablabla), different rpg types (Rance(all of them), Eushfully(most of them), Bible Black, A LOT more), crazy stuff (euphoria, saya no uta(masterpiece), etc). Most of Nukiges as well, even though they are really boring, but Boob Wars was really hillarious. Well, you get the idea.

So to cut it short. Interesting topics shown and discussed through VN, excluding social awkwardness, relationships, such things. I am saying that they shouldn't be the focus of VN.

Thanks, save me from boredom. There were good times, when before going to bed I could enjoy something touching that made me think before I close my eyes. (:

PS: achieved every ending in School Days without guides... I have a life, it's just that, oh wait, (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

5 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Have you read Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer yet?  There's no school, everyone is an adult, and it's written by the same guy that wrote Saya no Uta, Gen Urobuchi.  It's also quite dark, and has an interesting setting, IMO.  Reminds me quite a bit of Blade Runner.

I did, recently actually. It is very short though. Took me like 2 hours, I learned to read quite fast. It was ok, though the character development is weak and it is hard to start liking them with such small time

Togainu no Chi: Dystopian, no school.

DSAF: Parody of the FNAF franchise, if you can get over that is "Fnaf", you may find it to be pretty decent.

The Bottom of the Well: It's a interesting...a combination of some RPG elements in a darker "Alice in Wonderland" kinda thing...

Some of the Nasuverse vn's also have nothing to do with school...

2 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Togainu no Chi: Dystopian, no school.

DSAF: Parody of the FNAF franchise, if you can get over that is "Fnaf", you may find it to be pretty decent.

The Bottom of the Well: It's a interesting...a combination of some RPG elements in a darker "Alice in Wonderland" kinda thing...

Some of the Nasuverse vn's also have nothing to do with school...

Some underground, lol. Thanks

First one looks fun, will try it

Second one, no comment :D

Last one is probably like (Choosing door A), (Got Raped), reload (Door B) (Memed to Death), reload, etc.

1 minute ago, boringsoul said:

Some underground, lol. Thanks

First one looks fun, will try it

Second one, no comment :D

Last one is probably like (Choosing door A), (Got Raped), reload (Door B) (Memed to Death), reload, etc.

Also I forgot to mention DRAMAtical Murder...

I'm happy that I could help.

Are you only asking for translated games, or can you read untranslated ones? If you can, I strongly recommend checking out Ryuukishi Bloody Saga. One of my favorite games from last year. It's a fantasy VN with absolutely no school related stuff, it has a good protagonist and great writing. Good stuff.

It would definitely help recommenders if you had a VNDB page, since it seems like you've played quite a lot. At any rate, here's a suspiciously alphabetical (according to VNDB title) list of games which either I really liked or other people really liked but weren't quite for me, and which seem particularly well suited to your request.

Funbag Fantasy is a better story than you'd expect from either the name or the premise, and it's a hilarious nukige (not quite as silly as Boob Wars, but definitely in that ballpark at times).

I have pretty mixed feelings about Memory's Dogma, but it might fit the bill. No school. Very interesting intro, though I think it gets confused in the middle and ends up writing a lot of checks it can't cash. Great soundtrack and art.

Most of the Steampunk Series would probably work. Gahkthun is technically at a school, I guess, but it doesn't feel like a school VN at all, and you'd probably really like Inganock (it's pretty well-thought-of generally, and I personally love it), which is not even remotely school-ish. Note that while I called this a "series" there's not really any need to read them all or to read them in any particular order; they're basically independent stories in a shared universe.

Played Swan Song? It was looking to be a bit heavy for me so I dropped it, but from what you say you enjoy, I suspect it'd be right up your alley.

VA-11 HALL-A is atypical, quirky, and excellent.

World End Economica is quite good, especially after the characters grow up a bit (they can be kind of grating at times in episode 1). I still need to read episode 3... need to get to that soon. I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes 1 and 2. It's by the author of Spice and Wolf, so expect a whole lot of economics infodumping and discussion.

Deus Machina Demonbane is a hilarious fusion of giant robot shounen and vaguely Lovecraftian influence and themes. Demonbane is one of those rare games that I look back on more fondly the more time passes. I'll definitely be going back to play it again some day (though only Al's endings, since they're far and away the best).

@boringsoul Hello! just a suggestion, it'll be good if you put your vndb up when asking for suggestions. Have you read Steins Gate? if you haven't, go read Steins gate!

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Most of the Steampunk Series would probably work. Gahkthun is technically at a school, I guess, but it doesn't feel like a school VN at all, and you'd probably really like Inganock (it's pretty well-thought-of generally, and I personally love it), which is not even remotely school-ish. Note that while I called this a "series" there's not really any need to read them all or to read them in any particular order; they're basically independent stories in a shared universe.

Also I second this ^ , well written stories with a vast and variety of topics discussed throughout. The school bits are very minimal. That includes Tokyo Babel, the characters and developments are primarily focused on climbing the levels of this structure. The characters are amazing, well throughout out story and progression, dramatic events and interesting banter. The fight scenes are some of the best among the translated Vn's currently out there. The characters use the school to mainly rest and organise themselves.

https://vndb.org/v12260 I haven't read it but i've heard good things about it. I think @Dergonu read it, so you can ask him about the translation quality and story. 

Have fun mate! :sachi:

Edited by DharmaFreedom

2 hours ago, DharmaFreedom said:

https://vndb.org/v12260 I haven't read it but i've heard good things about it. I think @Dergonu read it, so you can ask him about the translation quality and story. 

I have indeed. It is my favorite VN of all time, actually. :P That being said, the translation for the game is sadly absolutely terrible, and it also cuts out all the 18+ content. Would not recommend reading the localized version. I personally read the original JP version, though that isn't the easiest for beginners. The game has a lot of rather complicated Japanese, + tons of refrences to Japanese history that is pretty hard to understand without the right knowledge.

10 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Are you only asking for translated games, or can you read untranslated ones? If you can, I strongly recommend checking out Ryuukishi Bloody Saga. One of my favorite games from last year. It's a fantasy VN with absolutely no school related stuff, it has a good protagonist and great writing. Good stuff.

I mastered VNReader, so it's fine. Will check it out, though it looks generic from pictures

10 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

It would definitely help recommenders if you had a VNDB page, since it seems like you've played quite a lot. At any rate, here's a suspiciously alphabetical (according to VNDB title) list of games which either I really liked or other people really liked but weren't quite for me, and which seem particularly well suited to your request.

Funbag Fantasy is a better story than you'd expect from either the name or the premise, and it's a hilarious nukige (not quite as silly as Boob Wars, but definitely in that ballpark at times).

I have pretty mixed feelings about Memory's Dogma, but it might fit the bill. No school. Very interesting intro, though I think it gets confused in the middle and ends up writing a lot of checks it can't cash. Great soundtrack and art.

Played Swan Song? It was looking to be a bit heavy for me so I dropped it, but from what you say you enjoy, I suspect it'd be right up your alley.

VA-11 HALL-A is atypical, quirky, and excellent.

World End Economica is quite good, especially after the characters grow up a bit (they can be kind of grating at times in episode 1). I still need to read episode 3... need to get to that soon. I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes 1 and 2. It's by the author of Spice and Wolf, so expect a whole lot of economics infodumping and discussion.

Deus Machina Demonbane is a hilarious fusion of giant robot shounen and vaguely Lovecraftian influence and themes. Demonbane is one of those rare games that I look back on more fondly the more time passes. I'll definitely be going back to play it again some day (though only Al's endings, since they're far and away the best).

Thanks, this list looks awesome. I played almost all of them though, but Dogma and VA-11 HALL-A look exciting.

8 hours ago, DharmaFreedom said:

@boringsoul Hello! just a suggestion, it'll be good if you put your vndb up when asking for suggestions. Have you read Steins Gate? if you haven't, go read Steins gate!

Also I second this ^ , well written stories with a vast and variety of topics discussed throughout. The school bits are very minimal. That includes Tokyo Babel, the characters and developments are primarily focused on climbing the levels of this structure. The characters are amazing, well throughout out story and progression, dramatic events and interesting banter. The fight scenes are some of the best among the translated Vn's currently out there. The characters use the school to mainly rest and organise themselves.

Have fun mate! :sachi:

I watched and read Steins many times.

These steampunk games look kinda generic, but ill give them a chance I think.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Dergonu said:

I have indeed. It is my favorite VN of all time, actually. :P That being said, the translation for the game is sadly absolutely terrible, and it also cuts out all the 18+ content. Would not recommend reading the localized version. I personally read the original JP version, though that isn't the easiest for beginners. The game has a lot of rather complicated Japanese, + tons of refrences to Japanese history that is pretty hard to understand without the right knowledge.

From pictures looks like a type "Oni-chan, where are my panties?" Next one to play then! Hope Atlas will not be too terrible)

51 minutes ago, boringsoul said:

From pictures looks like a type "Oni-chan, where are my panties?" Next one to play then! Hope Atlas will not be too terrible)

You can give it a go and see how it works, but it might be a bit too hard for Atlas. The game uses lots of old-timed samurai speech from the Edo-period. Not sure how well Atlas deals with that. (Also, know that the game is long. Like, really, really long. Probably one of the longest visual novels out there. )

If someone cares, made a list of what I will play from suggestions. In playing order, cant be bbothered to add titles.

https://vndb.org/v434

https://vndb.org/v12260

https://vndb.org/v17655

https://vndb.org/v18872

https://vndb.org/v5916

https://vndb.org/v20047

Seems like this list has a lot of gay sex. Well, I hope at least boys will be cute, without too much brutality, otherwise it's too gay.

Thanks guys