Rewrite, Is it a good or bad game?

Shikitohno

I just finished the first route which is Kotori's I have to say I am less then pleased with the outcome. The give you all the build up and depressing stuff and then thrown in a shitting as fucking ending. I mean...damn what the hell this one of the most depressing visual novels I have every read.

He loses all his friends because they all work for the bad guy and then they do not even tell you what happened to Kotori in the end.

I like the balance of comedy and action in the first part of the store is nothing but depressing mixed with a dash of fucking sorrow. I am not lucking forward to reading the other story line but I once I start I visual novel I finish it they I may have to play child movies in the back ground in attempt to prevent myself from getting depressed while reading them. Oh, and on a further note I wrote this after stay up twenty four hours to read this. So as you an can guess the my mood while writing this is terrible and I could kill kittens and puppy's right now. I just had to express how depressing the story was to me....just ugh.

I think it is hard to discuss without spoilers, but I 'll try my best. Personally I thought Rewrite was intelligent and well written. Also very enjoyable to read in general. The contrast from the common route to the routes and beyond is quite the contrast. You can tell by the themes that it was a Romeo Tanaka work.

I think it is hard to discuss without spoilers, but I 'll try my best. Personally I thought Rewrite was intelligent and well written. Also very enjoyable to read in general. The contrast from the common route to the routes and beyond is quite the contrast. You can tell by the themes that it was a Romeo Tanaka work.

I agree with you somewhat but a parts I would just get to depressing for me. I loved all the character and the story I think it was well thought out and creative, but I just do not like how depressing it got out of nowhere. I do not understand why key loves to throw depressing stories into the mix, Clanned, and Kanon being good examples of this. I love both of these VN but they get rather depressing quickly. Though in Clanned most depressing situations were resolved eventually in the store line. I guess you can say I like my visual novel to have more positive ending then what I saw from the first route.

Rewrite is a depressing story pretty much in every route. Especially the main ending.

Kotoris ending is basically a lead in for Kotoris after story in the fan-disc Harvest Festa, in which:

They end up becoming a couple and getting married. It's highly fluffy and cute.

Rewrites ending is also rather complicated and fairly depressing in the end. Rewrite is a basic fantasy setting that turns into a deep philosophy about human exceptionalism and exploration. It's not something you should read if you want it to be fun after the common route.

Personally, I think it's a good one. Most (If not all) of the story will get serious after the common route, and that's a good aspect IMO after all the 'fun' times during the common route. Depressing? In some way, yes. In my view, however, Kotori's route is somewhat the most "depressing" for me, and not to mention one of the heroine's routes which I won't mention in order not to ruin your experience. Still, I don't think the other routes are as depressing as Kotori's and a certain someone's. Though I wouldn't call those exactly depressing...Maybe bittersweet? Overall, I think Rewrite's an amazing read.

(if you've read this far in the thread, you're probably spoiled to this level anyway)

I personally liked Kotori's route precisely because of the feeling of powerlessness, futility and general depression it invokes. I assumed kotarou ended up with the girl at the end due to bishoujo-ge logic, so that was not a problem to me.

Also, I personally disagree that Terra is depressing, but maybe that's just me.

(if you've read this far in the thread, you're probably spoiled to this level anyway)

I personally liked Kotori's route precisely because of the feeling of powerlessness, futility and general depression it invokes. I assumed kotarou ended up with the girl at the end due to bishoujo-ge logic, so that was not a problem to me.

Also, I personally disagree that Terra is depressing, but maybe that's just me.

Again, I'd probably say that Rewrite being a depressing is a bit well... Let's just say, "not really". I mean the story has a fairly tight ending, sure some bad or sad things happen along the way. However, I would classify it as more of a bittersweet ending than anything. Not to mention it really isn't quite as depressing as some points in Little Busters!, Clannad, or even in Kanon.

Pros about Rewrite:

Varied routes- different sides of a coin, so to speak, but with some overlying purposes

Deeper than average, coherent plot

Ryukishi07's Lucia route- this guy wrote Higurashi, and of course, Lucia's route. I wish he would write more stuff. His writing is pretty engaging and eloquent.

Not much Key PTSD, although Romeo Tanaka's true route is definitely not something Jun Maeda would come up with nowadays.

Jun Maeda writes more fulfilling endings, usually, but the Tera route was extremely hit or miss for some people, and was generally less than well received.

Amazing soundtrack- this VN packs nearly 70 OST songs that are varied and of high quality. There are some unique songs for each of the route, and they feel natural and great to listen to. It's probably one of Key's best OSTs.

Cons:

If you're looking for a nakige, you might not get exactly what.

The drama is good, but dubious in the feels department.

It's a relatively long read. The routes are longer than normal Key routes, but compared to Grisaia... they're actually not that long actually. There's some fairly good development. It was a bit hard to follow back when I read it, though.

Varied writers = varied quality.

I personally thought Lucia's route far exceeded some of the other routes overall, and was better than the true route.

Most multi-route VNs suffer from this problem, though.

Chihaya's was a shouneny route that some people didn't like, for example, in Rewrite, although others (myself included) found it enjoyable.

Lack of romance: I didn't see much romance in this VN aside from Lucia's route and some scenes in other routes. It was more about the story and drama.

There's some somewhat similar story buildup in each route, and restarting and being re-told about information can become pretty tedious, moreso than something (for example) Fate/Stay Night's routes that leave out some of the basic info about the Holy Grail War in the later routes.

I wanted more of an impactful and climactic story. Terra fight fairly anticlimactic.

Yoshimune Kouki's Muv-Luv Alternative did a much better job of doing what Romeo Tanaka was against doing with his true route: combining elements of the previous routes without breaking the character attachment bonds with the reader, but rather, strengthening them.

Romeo Tanaka I think emphasizes subtlety in his writing, but at the cost of servicing his fans as much. He's a great and eloquent writer, but he's kind of a hard guy to figure out. His tendency to stray away from the norm in his execution and endings makes him stand out, but at the same time, I think he gets a lot of hate from more casual readers.

I agree that some depressing stuff does help make the story I little better, I was just thrown off on how fast this game got depressing.

One minute they are all happy all of them chilling in the club room, then the next all of them are running away because they are secretly part of evil organization leaving main character alone.

Also they way it of course they are going to make a fan disc to answer after this iffy of a ending. I have yet to read the other routes yet I am giving my self time to get ready before I continue reading otherwise I will end up getting angry at how the store goes again. I general like this VN so far just dissatisfied with how it has gone those far. I kind of had the same feeling for Akiha's route in Tsukihime the give you ending that I did not like to much. But...

After reading Kagetsu Tohya I was a little more satisfied with how it end since they tell you Shiki lives and will come back soon.

Um, for those who have read this through and through are there any routes where it the good end one of the heroines dies? if there is I would like to avoid those routes or at least fast forward through these parts.

From the top of my memory no route on the branching part of the story where the heroine dies

From the top of my memory no route on the branching part of the story where the heroine dies

Thank you, I can read without having my finger on fast forward button. I minor characters die I really do not care all that much but he they kill of one of the main I just pisses me off. The game VN Wind A Breath of Heart being one of those games if you have read it.

Maybe... Although not reading a story because someone dies is a bit...

Eh, I just one of my quirks I can read stories were some important dies but I prefer not to. Usually when I read VN I or any form of media I tend to get attached to main characters, so if they go and kill them off simply it tends to tick me off. example is...

in Kanon Makoto route it ends so bad but it still like the story.

Oh, and the whole environmental thing it did not like to I am not even close to being a environmentalist so this part aggravated me a little, but the way they tied it into the story more or less cancelled the dislike for the those parts at least.

Oh, and the whole environmental thing it did not like to I am not even close to being a environmentalist so this part aggravated me a little, but the way they tied it into the story more or less cancelled the dislike for the those parts at least.

On the surface, it's about environmentalism. If you can get to the other routes (particularly Terra), there's a deeper and the intended message of the vn.

I suggest you to push on decide whether to drop or continue reading this after you read one or two more character routes. I have to admit that reading one or two character routes before deciding to drop isn't a good choice though. Akane, Moon, and Terra have much different tone than the rest of the routes so if you like dark stories, just push through it.

On the surface, it's about environmentalism. If you can get to the other routes (particularly Terra), there's a deeper and the intended message of the vn.

I suggest you to push on decide whether to drop or continue reading this after you read one or two more character routes. I have to admit that reading one or two character routes before deciding to drop isn't a good choice though. Akane, Moon, and Terra have much different tone than the rest of the routes so if you like dark stories, just push through it.

Not to mention each route builds very fundamentally onto Moon and Terra. If you don't have the foundation, it won't be the same experience.

Eh, I just one of my quirks I can read stories were some important dies but I prefer not to. Usually when I read VN I or any form of media I tend to get attached to main characters, so if they go and kill them off simply it tends to tick me off. example is...

in Kanon Makoto route it ends so bad but it still like the story.

Environmentalism starts off as a small surface value theme in Rewrite but I'd argue it deconstructs it more so than it enforces it.

I am continue I started Chihaya's route yesterday after speeding through the common route. So far I like hers a little better then Kotori's route more action and it goes more into his abilities. Though there is one thing I noticed is that all the individual groups in this in some way are not...bad in what the are trying to do.

Gaia is trying to help fix the world and the Guardians are just trying to protect everything.

Though they do mention they there are corrupt parts of the groups.

Just finished Chihaya's route and I believe it was way better then Kotori's route. The I was confused on what happened to Lucia but I guess that will be answered in her route. Oh, and is someone translating the fan Disc yet?

Yes, but not yet. It is planned to be TLed by Amaterasu as their next project.

Thank you for the information. oh, just started Lucia route and I am kind of confused since it is not following the same line as the first two that I read. I assume that it will tie into her back story later...but...

Here power is both cool and scary everything she touch dies.

I do not know why I quoted myself.