[SPOILER] Will there be Euphoria's sequel?

lanphung

I don't know but... The ending of the game and epilogue implicate that potentials for the next game is not entirely nonexistent. As we knew the status quo in the game wasn't significantly shaken: companies A, B, C still operational; "paradise"  is pretty much still active as the original sleeping beauty was not declared retired at all... Rinne still alive... In the end Nemu was shown not remember about MC but it implied she would eventually.... MC became involved with mafia/ hitman world with badass level greatly evolved. And he got his girl.

So, has Clock Up made any statements regarding a sequel, spinoff, ... anything?I know it's been 8 years since its release, but a nukige with this good plot shouldn't die out.  

I don't think Euphoria is a nukige... it's a fetish-fueled eroge, to be sure, plus like has been said before, Clockup is a strange company.

I also don't know how the story could continue. The main antagonist dies in the game itself. Pretty much everything is solved with the ending, so it's a "happily ever after" of sorts.

I think even Clockup categorize this as a nukige.  I also disagree.  It's very close to the line, but I don't think it quite manages to cross it.

As for the story itself, I liked it quite a bit, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth.  I did not think the true end was handled well at all.  Too much that happened in the end was glossed over.  They played a little too loose with the sci-fi.  Characters behaved in foolish ways without any real motivation, because if they didn't there was no way the writers could get out of the corner they'd written themselves into.  And their attempts to make Nemu sympathetic largely didn't work for me.

That said, I don't think Euphoria would be good sequel material.  A fandisc to resolve some of the plot, maybe.  But a full-on sequel?  No, I don't think so.  The threads that were left open aren't very good sequel material.  There are interesting stories that could be told, but those stories would be very in different genres.  Imagine a James Bond sequel, done in the style of a John Grisham movie involving complex legal wrangling over Bond's prior escapades, in which Bond appears for only a few minutes and doesn't even pull his gun.  That might be interesting, but it's too different from what came before.  It's a hard sell.

The core story is over.  Trying to add to it isn't really going to work, because all that's left is the plot about the evil corporations and a sleazy cabal of the rich and powerful.  The thing is, that was always background material.  The game avoided it as much as possible.  And whenever it had no choice but to talk about that, they glossed over as much of it as possible and handwaved the rest away with "don't even think about messing with them, count your blessings they let you walk away."  The heart and twisted soul of the story lay elsewhere, and those things wrapped up in the game. 

So you're left with two bad choices.  One, a sequel about the side plots (the conspiracy and evil tech companies), and that likely works about as well as trying to make a Kara no Shoujo spinoff about Moon World (the cafe).  The other, a lame rehash, 'look what the bad guys are up to again', where basically the same plot happens again, only the school has a different name and the characters are a bit different.  Neither one of these works terribly well.

Edited by Nandemonai

I seriously doubt a full on sequel could work, a game taking place in the same universe maybe but the only character that I can think of with any story potential to show up in other games would be Natsuki. Though about the only thing I can think of that could be sequel-ish would be a crossover with NO, THANK YOU!! where the organization Haru hales from is that same one from euphoria, but even then all you get from that is a sequel to NTY where a character from euphoria cameos or has a semi-major role and that's ignoring that you're crossing over two very different genres of eroge which in all likelihood wouldn't work for either fanbase.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:38 AM, Okarin said:

I don't think Euphoria is a nukige... it's a fetish-fueled eroge, to be sure, plus like has been said before, Clockup is a strange company.

I also don't know how the story could continue. The main antagonist dies in the game itself. Pretty much everything is solved with the ending, so it's a "happily ever after" of sorts.

I personally categorize euphoria as nukige... balanced by heavy plot. People seeking sexual images as well as ones who enjoying both erotic scenes and good writing can both get something from it. Like I said, though the story had its closure, pretty much could still be exploited (the evil corps, "paradise", cult ...), that is assuming the company(and the fan) agree to have sequel at large portion. 

On 3/15/2017 at 11:24 PM, Nandemonai said:

I think even Clockup categorize this as a nukige.  I also disagree.  It's very close to the line, but I don't think it quite manages to cross it.

As for the story itself, I liked it quite a bit, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth.  I did not think the true end was handled well at all.  Too much that happened in the end was glossed over.  They played a little too loose with the sci-fi.  Characters behaved in foolish ways without any real motivation, because if they didn't there was no way the writers could get out of the corner they'd written themselves into.  And their attempts to make Nemu sympathetic largely didn't work for me.

That said, I don't think Euphoria would be good sequel material.  A fandisc to resolve some of the plot, maybe.  But a full-on sequel?  No, I don't think so.  The threads that were left open aren't very good sequel material.  There are interesting stories that could be told, but those stories would be very in different genres.  Imagine a James Bond sequel, done in the style of a John Grisham movie involving complex legal wrangling over Bond's prior escapades, in which Bond appears for only a few minutes and doesn't even pull his gun.  That might be interesting, but it's too different from what came before.  It's a hard sell.

The core story is over.  Trying to add to it isn't really going to work, because all that's left is the plot about the evil corporations and a sleazy cabal of the rich and powerful.  The thing is, that was always background material.  The game avoided it as much as possible.  And whenever it had no choice but to talk about that, they glossed over as much of it as possible and handwaved the rest away with "don't even think about messing with them, count your blessings they let you walk away."  The heart and twisted soul of the story lay elsewhere, and those things wrapped up in the game. 

So you're left with two bad choices.  One, a sequel about the side plots (the conspiracy and evil tech companies), and that likely works about as well as trying to make a Kara no Shoujo spinoff about Moon World (the cafe).  The other, a lame rehash, 'look what the bad guys are up to again', where basically the same plot happens again, only the school has a different name and the characters are a bit different.  Neither one of these works terribly well.

omg I loved this answer. You're right on spot. I think the devs initially intended Euproria to be fetish-fuled hardcore eroge and the plot was only added to boost the atmosphere. Turned out it was good enough to shine over the counterpart (sometimes making those 18+ scene redundant). I also agreed that they concluded nemu's story too fast after cultivating her evil image throughout the whole game. The conspiracy and evil corps experimenting was glossed over too fast, evidenced by the way they talked as little as while making us ponder about them every seconds. That said if they can somehow get any more from it I still get my eyes on it.
Talking about KnS, damn how much time we have to way for the next game? I freakin' need closure for the story and it absolutely happens! KnS 3 better be on development.

23 hours ago, BookwormOtaku said:

I seriously doubt a full on sequel could work, a game taking place in the same universe maybe but the only character that I can think of with any story potential to show up in other games would be Natsuki. Though about the only thing I can think of that could be sequel-ish would be a crossover with NO, THANK YOU!! where the organization Haru hales from is that same one from euphoria, but even then all you get from that is a sequel to NTY where a character from euphoria cameos or has a semi-major role and that's ignoring that you're crossing over two very different genres of eroge which in all likelihood wouldn't work for either fanbase.

Yeah. The characters in Euphoria couldn't make me too excited if they appear as cameos. It's the case with many darked-theme VN where the bonds with characters are almost minimal.