Has anyone else noticed a huge price inflation for anime on dvd or blu-ray?

xGreyHound

24 minutes ago, xGreyHound said:

Example: Sentai sells the Blu-Ray for Fate/ Stay Night the complete collection EP:1-EP:24 for $100 on their website and the DVD version for $70. If you go on eBay the DVD copy is $15 new and the Blu-Ray is $35. 

Same as always, used vs new. Everything's overpriced due to raising production costs and market inflation.

Edited by Narcosis

New vs. used is valid, but you also shouldn't buy directly from Sentai. Buy from a retailer instead. I personally always buy stuff from RACS. Amazon is fine too, and weirdly, in this instance, they're apparently a storefront for RACS and even so it's some $10 cheaper to buy through Amazon? Who knows why. I guess I like supporting the little guy with the passion project though, and RACS's prices are usually better than anyone except Amazon and occasionally RightStuf, who I don't care for since I believe literally everything I've ever bought from them arrived damaged in some way.

2 hours ago, xGreyHound said:

Example: Sentai sells the Blu-Ray for Fate/ Stay Night the complete collection EP:1-EP:24 for $100 on their website and the DVD version for $70. If you go on eBay the DVD copy is $15 new and the Blu-Ray is $35. 

Sentai is having a sale. The Blu-Ray version of Fate/Stay Night is currently cheaper on Sentai than your Ebay seller ... thingy -   https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/fatestay-night-complete-collection

9 hours ago, sarkasmus said:

What's with those prices?

Haha, yeah as soon as I saw your comment I knew you were going to be from Germany, Germany anime release model is basically the same as Japan, you get 3 episodes per Blu-ray. While in the US that release model has been scrapped for releasing a serie either in 2 parts or as complete collections.

9 minutes ago, Nier said:

Haha, yeah as soon as I saw your comment I knew you were going to be from Germany, Germany anime release model is basically the same as Japan, you get 3 episodes per Blu-ray. While in the US that release model has been scrapped for releasing a serie either in 2 parts or as complete collections.

Mostly true, but not entirely. Sentai and Funimation work that way, and probably some smaller licensers I'm not aware of, but Aniplex and Pony Canyon license a lot of the most popular anime for US release, and they roughly follow the Japanese pricing as well. Want Madoka on blu ray? Sword Art Online? Sound! Euphonium? Expect to pay between $10 and $20 per episode. Aniplex was the only one doing this until Pony Canyon entered the game a year or two ago, and it was depressing to see them go the same route Aniplex does, rather than the really quite reasonable prices Funi and Sentai charge.

22 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Sentai is having a sale. The Blu-Ray version of Fate/Stay Night is currently cheaper on Sentai than your Ebay seller ... thingy -   https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/fatestay-night-complete-collection

That's why I brought it up I noticed that and then looked at the original prices. lol

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Mostly true, but not entirely. Sentai and Funimation work that way, and probably some smaller licensers I'm not aware of, but Aniplex and Pony Canyon license a lot of the most popular anime for US release, and they roughly follow the Japanese pricing as well. Want Madoka on blu ray? Sword Art Online? Sound! Euphonium? Expect to pay between $10 and $20 per episode. Aniplex was the only one doing this until Pony Canyon entered the game a year or two ago, and it was depressing to see them go the same route Aniplex does, rather than the really quite reasonable prices Funi and Sentai charge.

Yeah I was aware of Aniplex, but Aniplex don't have a big release library unlike Funimation and Sentai, no? Dunno about Pony Canyon (haven't followed anime releases recently).

On 11/25/2016 at 11:48 AM, Nier said:

Yeah I was aware of Aniplex, but Aniplex don't have a big release library unlike Funimation and Sentai, no? Dunno about Pony Canyon (haven't followed anime releases recently).

Aniplex doesn't have as large a library as those two, no, but like I said, they have a tendency to pick up the biggest titles. I mean, start with the list I had above, then add Fate/Zero, Fate UBW, Magi, Monogatari, Nisekoi, Gurren Lagann, ... The list of anime you really want but that'll cost you an arm and a leg to own gets depressing, fast.

Pony Canyon just started and has a really small library, but likewise, there's stuff there I really want but have a hard time justifying at the price: Sound! Euphonium and Rokka no Yuusha both stand out, in particular.