Name this VN

lostn

I met a girl at a party who happened to like VNs and she told me about one she really liked, but I forgot the title, and sadly I didn't ask her phone number.

She says it's about an agreement your guy made with a girl as children to marry when they meet again, just before you leave town. Years later when you return to town to marry her, you find she is missing, and then a series of mysteries begin. She might have mentioned some doppleganger that looks like the girl you're trying to find, but that might have been my imagination or I got mixed up with some other story I've heard about.

That might sound a bit vague but hopefully you guys are experienced enough to have played it and know what it is.

Thanks.

Perhaps Hoshizora no Memoria. https://vndb.org/v1474

Not all of the details are accurate. There isn't a specific marriage promise and he doesn't return to marry her. She was a friend he met as a child, love briefly bloomed before he was forced to move away, and upon his return he sets out to search for her, and in her place he finds a mysterious girl who looked just like she did all those years ago. 

edit: VNDB has the childhood promise tag so maybe I forgot a marriage promise or something.

Yes I think you're right. Thanks for the quick response. Is it good?

I just looked at the VNDB page you linked to, and apparently an official release is coming?

Should I wait for that, or play the fan translation? I don't mind waiting because I have a backlog of other VNs and video games to play in the meantime. It's just a question of whether the official release will be better or improved in some way. Official release does not say if it will be 18+ or neutered.

10 minutes ago, lostn said:

Yes I think you're right. Thanks for the quick response.

I just looked at the VNDB page you linked to, and apparently an official release is coming?

Should I wait for that, or play the fan translation? I don't mind waiting because I have a backlog of other VNs and video games to play in the meantime. It's just a question of whether the official release will be better or improved in some way.

I haven't read this, so I can't comment on the TL quality of the fan translation, but seeing as the official release is going to be by Sekai Project, it will have to be a judgement call on your end.

If we look at previous releases from Sekai Project, they do tend to re-use fan translations, (like in G-senjou no maou; I literally found one singular line that was changed, that's it.) Though they do bring some other improvements for certain titles, like HD upscaling, (though they did also crop the CG in that case.)

When they released Clannad they did improve the translation somewhat, so the chance of it happening for this is there, but seeing as the ETA is 2016 for this title, they wont really give themselves too much time, so I would imagine this will simply be an official release of the fan translation.

Also, Sekai Project tends to release all ages versions of eroge, so there is also a chance of this simply having the 18+ content cut out.

Of course, it could be that I am mistaken. Again, comes down to a judgement call on your end to be honest.

(By the way, don't take this as a comment bashing on SP, I am simply stating some facts here, I do not at all have anything against SP as a company.)

But... but... you've gotta ask for their phone numbers! Cherish your collection of girls' numbers!

PS: I'm reading Hoshimemo at the moment, and yes there is something like a marriage promise on the little girl's end. Obviously hardly anybody marries while in high school, but that promise spurs the protag to meet her again. After all, it's the love of his life.

6 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

It's decent enough. 

OK, I think I'll wait for Sekai..

Translation is a tough job. Something's always lost in translation. Cultural references unique to one language, idioms, puns, jokes, etc.. these things get converted into something that makes sense in the new language. So when you translate from a second translated language instead of the original language it will be even less pure as more things will have been lost. This would be like chinese whispers or photocopying a photocopy.

Hopefully Sekai is basing the translation off the original Japanese.

But... but... you've gotta ask for their phone numbers! Cherish your collection of girls' numbers!

I got too caught up in our conversation. And then she had to leave and it too got awkward to ask.

PS: I'm reading Hoshimemo at the moment, and yes there is something like a marriage promise on the little girl's end. Obviously hardly anybody marries while in high school, but that promise spurs the protag to meet her again. After all, it's the love of his life.

How are you finding it? Does it start off slow like a lot of VNs?

1 hour ago, lostn said:

How are you finding it? Does it start off slow like a lot of VNs?

Well, since it has to do some explaining of the protag's background, it spends some time on it, then moves on to present the heroines, then choices begin and you select your route.

Pretty standard setup but slower than other titles I've played, IMO.

17 minutes ago, Personb5 said:

I read Hoshizora no Memoria and i really enjoyed it. The translation was pretty good, at least I understood it well enough to get what there talking about.

Staircase's translation of Hoshimemo was pretty good albeit with some issues here and there and some text problems aswell. That being said I'm glad Sekai project is doing a proper release of it.

I like Hoshimemo aswell :sacchan: