Need a volunteer to add a line in Troubleshoot Suggestions

Guest Aaeru

hey we noticed that, windows have been secretly making people's game files set to read-only all on its own which is causing problems for downloaders.

i was wondering if anyone could spare half an hour and add a line to the troubleshoot suggestions field (aka notes field):

<li>Make sure none of your files are set to read-only. Select all files > Right click > Properties > Untick Read-Only. (you may have to do this for individual folders) For some reason windows started making things read-only all on its own.<br/></li>

^ that exact line, just slap it at the bottom of the Notes field (but before the end </div>, ill show u how).

note that u dont have to do this for upcoming games, only uploaded games

sry i know it's a boring job but it frees me up to do other things. like translations. any1?

much thx

We, the IRC, have created a bat file that will, when run as administrator, very likely remove the read-only flag from all folders / files inside the folder it's currently in. Place it in the directory of the VN that's giving your problems and run it as admin, and it might fix your issue. Can be downloaded here: https://docs.google....HkzVExmYW8/edit (sorry if you're in china).

You could do this in a few seconds with search+replace... but it is likely not the real source of the problems they are experiencing.

Most if not all VN engines will not modify any files and for some of them the entire game can be run from the CD/DVD/mounted .ISO.

The exception is savedata/configuration/NVRAM and it is only an issue if the engine writes to the installation directory --- many save somewhere else, such as the default application data directory (%APPDATA%).

(Of course if you are applying a translation patch then read-only is an issue! But if the files are RO because a torrent client is seeding them, you should NOT do so as it will cause you to seed wrong data --- copy the files somewhere else first, or stop seeding.)

perhaps that must be why sometimes people having problems with file corruption, because people continue to play the game and continue to seed....?

I feel it's more of an issue of the direct link to other people who are seeding and leeching off that same torrent, which is where I believe the corruption happens--seeding in and of itself USUALLY doesn't have any repercussions besides leeching your internet speed. Although there have been some instances where my files have changed, albeit only a little, while I'm seeding them--but not actually messing with them. I always passed this off as the original .torrent provider (or even another seeder) was just screwing with the files, and my own reacted in kind because of that direct link. I have noticed that seeding while changing the torrent itself drastically can lead to some widespread corruption. So yeah, when you stop seeding, you get the entire file just as it is, with nearly no chance of corruption due to the incompetence of the others who were using that same file. I've even gone as far as completely separating the file I took from the torrent client simply by moving the files to a new place and changing just a few properties--that way, my VN is no longer connected to anybody else's whatsoever.

Anywho, I'll post the message on the troubleshoots if you would like? Unless you guys are on the verge of another solution?

wait... does that mean if u ask utorrent to stop seeding, it will revert back from RO?

It should.

This "trying to play a VN while it's seeding" (or even worse, trying to patch it) might be responsible for the majority of the "it doesn't work" issues... normally if one process has a file open in exclusive mode it won't let others even read it, and in that case you might get a helpful file in use warning when trying to start, but as torrent clients may be seeding hundreds of files or more they don't want to keep them all open so they just mark them as read-only when they're not opened, leading to these issues.

The solution is to either stop seeding or make a copy.