History of Fuwanovel from 2013, also My 1000th Post

Zalor

5 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Looks like I'd a little sensitive, but I think I see your point @sanahtlig in regard of fan translator and attention seeker. Hell, I could make confession here that I was one of attention seeker too. But I think while what you said was true, I think there is also fan translation who work based on altruism, although those people maybe rare though. Neverthless, we must thank all of fan translator regardless of their motive if only because we could enjoy translated VN (And only if they manage to release it), just my opinion.

I would be the last to criticize the efforts of fan translators.  On the contrary, I think it's important to recognize that fan translators are often driven by the desire for attention and belonging.  If we recognize that all efforts on our behalf have a price--whether it be monetary or otherwise--then we can strive to ensure that benevolent actors get paid so they'll continue doing what they do.  The pervasive Internet culture of apathy is the enemy of progress.  That's actually one of the founding reasons Fuwanovel was established, and that Fuwanovel is now a hub for VN community projects.

• 3 months later...
On 7/9/2016 at 6:41 PM, DharmaFreedom said:

Thanks for this post, it was very enlightening. I was wondering who started the site and basically the history of how this site came about. It was an interesting read. 

Glad you found it interesting ^_^

13 hours ago, bigfatround0 said:

Aaeru was crazy as shit. I still remember that fit she threw when MG and Circus sent her the C&D letter. Did she ever give a reason why she left the VN community?

No, to this day nobody knows what has happened to her. I've contacted a few people about it, including Tay, and none of them know. As far as the internet is concerned, the username Aaeru is dead. My speculation is that all the drama she was causing and drawing to herself was too much for her, and she just wanted to escape from it all. So as a result she just abandoned the entire VN community. There are 4 possibilities that I see happened to her.

1) She abandoned the user name Aaeru, and is still involved in the VN community, but under a completely different username with no connections to her old one. In other words she made a clean slate for herself. Honestly though, I think this is fairly unlikely. Since there is no way she would be able to keep silent over all the bullshit that is going on in the VN community these days. 

2) She completely abandoned VN and has moved on from the medium. This along with number 3 are the two options that I find most likely.

3) She still reads VNs, but doesn't pay any attention to the community anymore.

4) She legit died. This is by far the least likely option, but still entirely possible. 

Last I heard Aaeru was sick.  It's likely she had a nervous breakdown at some point due to the bullying.  It had definitely affected her personality.  One also has to consider that she spent a massive amount of time on this site and it probably caught up with her.

I imagine that to put her life in order, Aaeru moved on from the Internet community.

• 2 months later...
On 10.7.2016. at 6:42 PM, sanahtlig said:

Last I heard Aaeru was sick.  It's likely she had a nervous breakdown at some point due to the bullying.  It had definitely affected her personality.  One also has to consider that she spent a massive amount of time on this site and it probably caught up with her.

I imagine that to put her life in order, Aaeru moved on from the Internet community.

:( That kind of makes me sad, I never heard of that ... Last thing I heard was "that she's okay and alive" (somebody posted that on this forum as an answer to somebody that asked) ...

Anyway, thanks @littleshogun to pointing to this thread, and thank you @Zalor for this entertaining class of history ^_^ One can feel the true nostalgia from your words :D