Goodbye Konami

Nosebleed

All he was saying is that they're doing this because the games didn't sell. Sometimes a beloved series that has lots of fans can still sell like crap and be unprofitable. Just look at Mega Man. There is quite seriously no other reason for Konami to shut down AAA game development other than lackluster sales so I don't know why you're contesting this.

An "update" on this story, according to someone on Reddit, Konami is denying these reports, and also talking about how they're not abandoning MGS.

This comes slightly before Konami announced their new DLC for MGSV

“I can promise you that we’re definitely not leaving Metal Gear behind or anything like that," the alleged reply from Konami reads.

"I know some blogs were claiming that online this morning, but I’m not really sure where they’d be getting that from.

"We’re still definitely working on console games and franchises such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, PES and all the rest.

"Those teams are definitely working on designing and programming great games."

A few months ago they also said that they would continue the metal gear franchise. I don't think anyone believes them at this point. 

The biggest shame about this is how incredibly good the Fox Engine is and how it seems unlikely that it will ever be used for anything other than PES ever again.

Konami isn't folding or going out of business, they're just shifting their business away from AAA console games. That's a pretty big difference. But I guess for our purposes it's functionally the same. 

All he was saying is that they're doing this because the games didn't sell. Sometimes a beloved series that has lots of fans can still sell like crap and be unprofitable. Just look at Mega Man. There is quite seriously no other reason for Konami to shut down AAA game development other than lackluster sales so I don't know why you're contesting this.

I wasn't contesting that it was due to the sales (and if I were I take that back) but that it was because their games were bad- many Konami games in recent years have been critically acclaimed.