Interesting Difference Between Eroge and Nukige

Eurobeatz

There's always been something that has confused me about how eroge and nukige deal with sex scenes.

In nukige, it isn't rare for you to hear the characters say the names of the sexual positions/techniques they engage in. However, you hardly ever see this in eroge, which tends to show what is going on, rather than telling. Also, in such situations, nukige tends to use more informal slang words, while eroge leans towards more sophisticated words. For example, a nukige would use 'blowjob' when an eroge would use 'fellatio'.

For these reasons, it seems like the games that focus more on storyline than ero scenes put more effort into ero scenes than the games centered around ero scenes, while you would think that this would be the other way around. Seriously, most nukige I've read have ero scenes on-par with your typical fanfiction sex scenes, and for those of you who are not familiar with those, most are VERY, VERY bad. Does anyone know why this might be?

I've seen many good nukiges. Try out Bishoujo Mangekyou or Kanojo x Kanojo x Kanojo, h-scenes there are really great. MangaGamer's Goshujin-sama Daisuki is quite good too, I love some of Kuu scenes there.

As for eroges — my experience here is completely other way — in most of them h-scenes are seem to be forced and out-of-place, and writing style rarely matches non-h material.

I've never noticed any differences, really. It seems that the choice of words depends entirely on the writer, though a lot of nukige end up being more verbally vulgar in order to build up a "naughty" atmosphere. Then again, lots of non-nukige do that, like Yuzu-soft games.

The Sonohana games can also use some pretty explicit language despite the pure and innocent idea behind it.

Just like everything else in the world, there are good and bad nukiges, just like there are good and bad VN. The point is: there are actually some good story-centered nukiges, whereas they'd normally be character centered (for the "plot")

I guess quality of H-scenes varies from game to game.

I've never noticed any differences, really. It seems that the choice of words depends entirely on the writer, though a lot of nukige end up being more verbally vulgar in order to build up a "naughty" atmosphere. Then again, lots of non-nukige do that, like Yuzu-soft games.

The Sonohana games can also use some pretty explicit language despite the pure and innocent idea behind it.

That's true, I suppose word choice does play a part in creating atmosphere.

I totally forgot about the SonoHana series when making this post, the games just... seem to cute to be nukige for me, not to mention that they also put a lot of effort into storytelling, which is very rare for nukige.

I also neglected to mention that there are many eroge with terrible sex scenes as well, Key games being the best example I have encountered.

I guess quality of H-scenes varies from game to game.

That's true, I suppose word choice does play a part in creating atmosphere.

I totally forgot about the SonoHana series when making this post, the games just... seem to cute to be nukige for me, not to mention that they also put a lot of effort into storytelling, which is very rare for nukige.

I also neglected to mention that there are many eroge with terrible sex scenes as well, Key games being the best example I have encountered.

Isn't that because they are Yuri? So they feel a lot more lovey lovey. I find the series awesome though :D

Isn't that because they are Yuri? So they feel a lot more lovey lovey. I find the series awesome though :D/>

That's definitely true, but I also feel that the SonoHana series puts much more effort into developing its characters than your average nukige.