The Witcher Series

kyrt

I find it very odd that searching through the the forums for Witcher yielded no main topic results (that or I'm really bad at searching). I aim to rectify this. 

Who here has played any of the Witcher games? Witcher 3 has been out since May and while I started playing it in July (decided to play 1 and 2 first) many people haven't even come close to finishing it yet...and that's to say nothing of the the 16 pieces of free dlc (one of which is new game+) and the two upcoming expansions; the first of which has an awesome trailer for fans who have played the game.

I spent way too long in the prologue for Witcher 3 exploring everything marked and unmarked alike. A lot of people do not realize that there are more areas than just what is seen on the map as an icon. I've found numerous extra chests and a few extra battles from wondering off the beaten path and following the map like it is an actual map. Chances are if there is something on the map even if it's just jagged rocks chances are it will lead to something. Exploring the world like it's an actual map changes the way you might play the game.

I only just finished the first Act of Witcher 3 and am over 90 hours into the game and even then I haven't explored everything. One of my favorite things to do in the game is challenge myself. I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty and I try and kill everything I come across regardless of level. I spent nearly an hour trying to kill an earth elemental that was double my level...and I managed to win that fight. If you play the game well and take your time you can win basically any fight it might just take a very long while to chip away at an enemy.

I could have started playing Witcher 3 immediately at its release but I decided to playthrough the entire series and read a few of the novels before diving into Witcher 3. The books for the Witcher are very similar to the games and is one of the first successful book to game world adaptations that I can remember. The books really give Geralt and the world even further character. It's especially interesting to see how important figures in the games came to be and Geralt's first interactions with some of these people. If you haven't yet and want to learn more about the world of the Witcher I highly recommend the books and the first two games in the series.

I'm sure there are other people who have played this game and while I'm going to request spoilers be spoiler'd feel free to share comments and what have you about the series.

For those interested in participating I have a few questions for people who have played it...if spoilers please spoiler tag it; (feel free to answer any of the following that you may wish?)

1. What is your favorite location in the game? (not just region but try and narrow it down a bit more)

2. What was your favorite sidequest?

3. Who were your favorite characters in the game?

4. Which enemy did you hate fighting the most?

5. How long did it take you to beat the game the first time through?

6. Favorite Boss-ish Battle (spoiler this one for sure)

7. Any particular location or event with the best music?

8. How did you fight with Geralt (what abilities, magic, skills, etc... did you use most).

9. Favorite Overall thing about the game?

10. One thing you wish the game would have done differently.

11. Any other comments you have about characters, gameplay, story, etc?

Seeing as I've yet to complete the game I'm going to hold off on answering the questions for the moment but definitely will once I finish the game...however long that may take.

Edited by kyrt

Damn, if I were to write all I have to say about this franchise, I'd write my own book :D

Anyway, I'll be brief and answer the questions for now (assuming these are all for TW3). I'll put them all in spoilers since most will have them.

1. Kaer Morhen when all your former comrades are there.

2. Yennefer's "The Last Wish"

3. Geralt, Letho, Ciri, Triss.

4. A swarm of nekkers or drowners when you are underleveld. Wraiths with their OP damage.

5.75 hours with every quest done, but I didn't search for Points of Interest that much.

6.If it counts, the siege during "The Battle of Kaer Morhen".

7. In 3, I'd say the music that plays when you meet characters from the previous game. It plays when you meet Roche and Letho and isn't in the OST.

8. First time around, mostly Sword combat with crits and Quen for healing and oils.

9.The rewards of helping others in this game, the facial animations.

10. How it treated your decisions from Witcher 2 and the shitty way in which the ending was decided.

I remember thinking about doing a Witcher thread around the time Witcher 3 released, but never went through with the idea.

Witcher is one of my favorite video game series and the books are one of my favorite books, so yeah I'm a quite huge Witcher fan.

Loved every single one of the games, but I would say 2 is still my favorite. 3 is just too damn big, I always get intimidated a little when I start playing. I also didn't like how they dumbed down character progression and alchemy. (I think I still have a unpublished rant sitting around somewhere about that topic.  :P) The other combat improvements are awesome though.

Here are some answers

2. This answer might be a little cheating, but the quest chain about who succeeds the right to rule Skellige.   

3. Outside of the main characters, Cerys. 

4. Fucking Wraiths and their spinning attacks

5. 90ish hours, but I skipped quite a bunch of minor sidequests and witcher contracts.

8. I went with sword/potion build, which was pretty lackluster. And I spammed lots of Quen as well.

9. Skellige, that place is just too awesome. I love riding around the mountains.

10. I wanted the witcher 2 alchemy system back

I still need to complete my second playthrough with different choices and do the quests I previously skipped, and I'm pretty hyped for the expansions.

Oh, and one last thing.

Triss best girl

Played Witcher 1 and 2 several times over, long ago. Pre-ordered Witcher 3 but still haven't even installed it, probably won't touch it until next summer.

I get awfully addicted to these games and considering Witcher 3's expected length it will no doubt completely destroy my lifestyle. I've still got important stuff to do, after all.

I've played it on the PS4, because my PC is a electronic brick only fit for tying someone down at the bottom of a river.
Loved though, and thanks for reminding me to get the expansion, can't wait until the next one, which is said to be big.

As for the questions you asked.

1. What is your favorite location in the game? 
A hard question, but I'd have to go with the tower at Undvik, otherwise all of the mountains of Skellige are great!

2. What was your favorite sidequest?
Skellige's most wanted, but last time I played, the ending was bugged.

4. Which enemy did you hate fighting the most?
Alghouls and their damn stupid back spikes!

5. How long did it take you to beat the game the first time through?
18 hours or so, I definitely destroyed time. 

7. Any particular location or event with the best music?
Just the general fighting music, it gets me immersed into the world, but it doesn't last long. :(

10. One thing you wish the game would have done differently.
Be an arse to Yen on her "Last Wish" quest, because I completely skipped it.
That was a joke, I would have liked to experience it though.

• 6 months later...

CDPR recently released the cover artwork for the next expansion pack Blood and Wine. It seems a lot of people's guesses are going to be right on the money. I've been holding off on continuing Witcher 3 until some news about the expansion was being mentioned seems like a good time to get back to it. Definitely seems the June 7th release date (May trailer rumors) is right on the money. Got to admit the artwork looks pretty badass.

Spoiler

Cf_-cGsXEAElmLV.jpg:large