Fuwacast Revival

OriginalRen

One thing I've noticed about VNs as a genre is that there are extremely few fantasy novels. 

A fantasy setting is very common in VNs with gameplay, which happen to be somewhat rare in English.

Also, the premise of a self-insert character/wish-fufillment oddly, seems to be uniquely a LN feature.

Actually, NTR games tend to have self-insert characters.  As for wish fulfillment...well...

A fantasy setting is very common in VNs with gameplay, which happen to be somewhat rare in English.

Actually, NTR games tend to have self-insert characters.  As for wish fulfillment...well...

Hmm, indeed there are a lot of gameplay VN's in the fantasy setting. How many are heavily-story focused though?

For wish fufillment, I meant like LN's with a powerful protagonist who just is cool and wins, like SAO, or a lot of others. Not the romantic or sexual aspect of wish fulfillment.

RE: NTR: Ah, I see. That makes sense, kinda.

Hmm, indeed there are a lot of gameplay VN's in the fantasy setting. How many are heavily-story focused though?

What's your bar for "heavily story-focused"?  I'd say many of the gameplay VNs I've played are "heavily story-focused": the Ikusa Megami series (Eushully), the Venus Blood series (Ninetail / Dualtail), Aselia the Eternal (Xuse)... should I keep going?  Most of the gameplay VNs worth playing have good stories, IMO. 

The podcast just finished recording.  Expect it to go live soon .

Edit: Now live!

Fuwacast! Episode 12 - Introducing a Genre: How to Attract Newcomers to the VN World

Members featured include:

I am deeply sorry for the inconvenient. I did not wish for anything to go wrong, but in the end it did and even though I'm the newcomer who didn't have much to say, it still hurt the overall quality of the podcast... So much for returning in glory. I hate myself, and once again I apoligise from the bottom of my soul for what happened... This frustrates me to no end....

I am deeply sorry for the inconvenient. I did not wish for anything to go wrong, but in the end it did and even though I'm the newcomer who didn't have much to say, it still hurt the overall quality of the podcast... So much for returning in glory. I hate myself, and once again I apoligise from the bottom of my soul for what happened... This frustrates me to no end....

There is nothing to feel sorry for. I listened to some of it. It's completely understandable if a VN newcomer whose native language isn't even English can't be as good as some other veterans.

He's apologizing for disconnecting in the middle of the podcast (in the midst of a comment, even).

He's apologizing for disconnecting in the middle of the podcast (in the midst of a comment, even).

Oh then I'm really sorry I thought it had something to do with the "the newcomer who didn't have much to say" so I assumed he felt bad for not saying much (and about that native language thing I thought he didn't find just the right words for what he wanted to say). I should really have listened to all of the podcast before posting anything. I'm really sorry if this hurt you InvictusCobra.

No problem, after what happened today I don't think my pride can go any lower. Plus, even though it pains me quite a bit to admit that I was the "ignorant beginner", in the end I have to just face things for what they are and admit I'm not the brightest of the bunch when it comes to these topics and VNs in general... Sigh, it's just that I've wanted to do something like this for years now and when I get a chance to do it, Lady Luck decides to spit on my face and kick me in my nether regions (worst part is it probably put a lot of strain on the others who were already nervous)... I hate myself right now...

No problem, after what happened today I don't think my pride can go any lower. Plus, even though it pains me quite a bit to admit that I was the "ignorant beginner", in the end I have to just face things for what they are and admit I'm not the brightest of the bunch when it comes to these topics and VNs in general... Sigh, it's just that I've wanted to do something like this for years now and when I get a chance to do it, Lady Luck decides to spit on my face and kick me in my nether regions (worst part is it probably put a lot of strain on the others who were already nervous)... I hate myself right now...

I think you did pretty well while your internet was working, actually! I think everyone had some interesting things to say.