VG Club: Limbo Discussion

solidbatman

Played about an hour so far.

I kinda felt bad for the spider when you kill it. I mean as you went along you used bear traps on it's legs, squashed it multiple times, and in the end ripped off it's legs and kill it on a hole with spikes so you can get on the other side.

Limbo have sat in my game library for years, I used dismiss it as some generic indie platformer.

I played for a hour or so, but had to stop because the film grain and flickering started to cause eye strain.

I reached the hotel. The fucked up atmosphere is kind of great, like using a drowning body as a platform. The mind control bugs are really annoying though.  

Limbo have sat in my game library for years, I used dismiss it as some generic indie platformer.

I played for a hour or so, but had to stop because the film grain and flickering started to cause eye strain.

I reached the hotel. The fucked up atmosphere is kind of great, like using a drowning body as a platform. The mind control bugs are really annoying though.  

Fuck those mind control worms, they made me rage so hard.  I remember that once I figured out exactly how to beat that section, and the worm killed me right before I got there.

I really like the contrast between the environment and the protagonist.  Most games this disturbing wouldn't have a child protagonist simply because it, well, doesn't fit too well in theory, but they make the unnamed protag just as creepy as the environment around him.  I also appreciate the difficulty, since a lot of games think they need to hold your hand to keep you playing.  Admittedly, so far I've rage-quit a handful of times, but I call that par for the course.  I'm not much of a puzzle guy, so I'm easily frustrated when I get set against one I just can't solve myself.

I recently finished it. I have to point that the art style is probably the highlight of the game. It reminds me of a world fleshed out of Tim Burton's mind.

Now concerning the game:

I have to admit that I was stuck a few times, to the point where I had to look online for ways to progress.

I had trouble in the first gravity manipulation section and then the roof part.

The game may have been linear, but the good visuals made me think I was watching a movie.

It was a fun little game that I wouldn't probably have played beforehand if it wasn't for the game thread~

I'll maybe start playing the Retro game tomorrow.

I just finished and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Sometimes it's nice to play something short and fairly simple.

My favorite part was the moment when you first see the girl. But then the mind control bug takes over you and when finally get back she's gone and the level continues. That was such clever move. Give false hope and then remind the player of cruelty and hopelessness of the situation.

The dark and rotating room with single light source to guide you was the most impressive puzzle to me. It wasn't too difficult, but the way timed the light made it really tense.  

This game was really something back then when it came out; it's aesthetics and design made it a pinnacle of the rising indie scene. It isn't anymore, though as you look at it in the same way we all use to look at Pacman or Donkey Kong. The highly limited and minimalist approach to the gameplay reminds me to treat Limbo more as an experiment, than actual game but it was a darn beautiful, captivating experience and I don't regret that hour or so I spent playing it.

As of now, Limbo might actually fade into obscurity, but it's design inspired countless other developers to strive into reaching a better consensus between art and digital entertainment.

I'd wish they made a proper sequel, which would be more of a real lengthy game, rather than a short and shiny tech demo.