Nintendo GBA Official Thread

Funyarinpa

A thread for GBA games, systems, mods, romhacks, etc.

No link to ROM's please they are easy enough to find

To set us off, I'd like to post these two pics (I dream of having both one day, I'll buy one hopefully after I've gotten all I can out of my Vita, PC and 3DS)

GBA SP NES Limited Edition

spn0.jpg

and EZ Flash IV Micro SD Edition

EZ4-3-3.jpg

Also, my favorite GBA game:

1212.jpg

The reason I made this thread is because the GBA is my favorite system (though I no longer have one), only Vita comes close

The GBA really was an amazing little system. I remember buying one on launch day with a copy of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (which, as launch titles go, was probably one of the best ones to come out in the last few generations). I popped the game in and was instantly blown away by the quality of the music. One of the first things I did in the game was throw a knife and watch as it was actually animated hitting a wall and spinning away. Then I  hit a bat with one and there was a little splash of blood from the bat. Forget being better than the GB or GBC, the system was like having a Super Nintendo in my hands.

One of my favorite things about it was the proliferation of niche titles. Japanese strategy RPGs were still pretty rare in America at the time, but the GBA had an absolute glut of them, and all of them were solid. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis, Onimusha Tactics, and then from far out of left field we actually got Super Robot Wars Original Generations 1 and 2. AND we finally got Fire Emblem!

But the one game you just cannot miss on the system is Mother 3. If you have not played it, seek out a translated rom ASAP. It will seriously make you feel the feels forever.

The GBA is my absolute favorite gaming system. As you can tell by that previous sentence, I'm not much of a gamer. :P

Aside from VNs (which I don't count as games anyway), I only play retro games. (At this point I count GBA as retro). 

Ah, Super Mario bros 3. My first ever video game, and damn did I play the hell out of that game. I beat that game countless times. In fact, I played it so much as a kid that I can't even look at it anymore, lol.

I love so many GBA games that it is hard to pick; so I'll just list my favorite franchises: Final Fantasy gba remakes, Megaman Zero, Megaman Battle Network, Pokemon, Castlevania, Sonic Advance, Earthbound (Mother), and Fire Emblem. 

Other franchises I like but don't love: Klonoa, Super Mario, Naruto Ninja Council.

Franchises I still need to play: Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Zelda, Super Robot Wars, Sword of Mana, Tactics Ogre, and Yggdra Union!!!

My favorite games not in a franchise: Rivera the Promised land and Tetris Worlds. 

Edited by Zalor

Actually all of those are in a franchise. Sword of Mana is the first game in the Mana series, which went on to SNES with Secret of Mana (1 and 2 AKA Seiken Densetsu 3), PS1 with Legend of Mana and PS2 with a bunch of crap no one cares about. Tactics Ogre is part of the Ogre Battle series with games on the SNES, N64, PS1 and PSP (of those I recommend the SNES Ogre Battle and PSP Tactics Ogre) and Yggdra Union has 2 sequels on the PSP (along with a remake of Yggdra Union itself). All of these are really amazing franchises you should check out.

Currently got myself into Yggdra Union. I heard the gba version was way harder than the PSP version, oh well. I'm not willing to spend the money on a psp just for one or two games. 

Edit: WTF! I just discovered that Morale doesn't recover after you finish a map! Does this mean I have to rely on items to heal myself throughout the whole game?!?

My boyfriend just dug up his old GBA for me along with Pokémon Ruby and a harvest moon and kingdom hearts game. I feel so lucky now. I wasn't a gamergirl when the GBA was around so there's a lot of games I have to play nowadays to make up for it hahaha. I plan to get him more GBA games as a thank you since it's something we can both enjoy. My favorite series are fire emblem and final fantasy and his favorite series are civilization and xcom . Is there any game I could pick up that we can both enjoy?

My boyfriend just dug up his old GBA for me along with Pokémon Ruby and a harvest moon and kingdom hearts game. I feel so lucky now. I wasn't a gamergirl when the GBA was around so there's a lot of games I have to play nowadays to make up for it hahaha. I plan to get him more GBA games as a thank you since it's something we can both enjoy. My favorite series are fire emblem and final fantasy and his favorite series are civilization and xcom . Is there any game I could pick up that we can both enjoy?

Try out Super Robot Wars/Taisen Original Generations 1 and 2. It combines challenging strategic combat a la Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics with mecha min-maxing that will probably interest anyone who's into Western strategy games and a plot that is ALL the mecha tropes forever.

If he needs convincing show him this video and skip to about the 1 minute mark. Yeah... that's another one of the selling points of the Super Robot Wars series. They have absolutely jaw-dropping combat animations.

Edit: Ah, the video is for the Japanese version but there are English versions of both 1 and 2 available that were released officially in the US.

Try out Super Robot Wars/Taisen Original Generations 1 and 2. It combines challenging strategic combat a la Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics with mecha min-maxing that will probably interest anyone who's into Western strategy games and a plot that is ALL the mecha tropes forever.

If he needs convincing show him this video and skip to about the 1 minute mark. Yeah... that's another one of the selling points of the Super Robot Wars series. They have absolutely jaw-dropping combat animations.

Edit: Ah, the video is for the Japanese version but there are English versions of both 1 and 2 available that were released officially in the US.

I do have to admit that those games look awesome!