mahjong

zoom909

Mahjong is that game they played in the anime Saki ?

It looks like this:

T-16702G_10,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-10-Idol-Maajan-Final-Romance-2-JPN.jpg

and has anime cutscenes like this:

Taisen%20Mahjong%20FinalRomance%20R.png

Or if you have a PS3 or 360 maybe it looks more like this:

full.jpg

Of course you can also play "real" mahjong online. I played for a bit some years back, before I started doing translations and stuff.

Japanese is not required to play, but it helps. Especially if you've memorized the kanji for #'s 1 thru 9 that will help a lot.

I played a couple of demo games at a con, and was immediately busted when I tried to put my chow in the corner of the table, which is a japanese use, and we played the chinese way <_<

I noticed that the numbers are so stylized/archaic I had a hard time recognizing them even though I knew the kanjis for them ^^ Same goes for the winds.

I played a couple of demo games at a con, and was immediately busted when I tried to put my chow in the corner of the table, which is a japanese use, and we played the chinese way <_</>/>

I noticed that the numbers are so stylized/archaic I had a hard time recognizing them even though I knew the kanjis for them ^^ Same goes for the winds.

Oops. Yeah they vary quite a bit from country to country. I think the Japanese rules have the highest strategy-to-luck ratio. Whereas American rules are almost all luck. Which maybe is why no one cares about mahjong in America outside of anime fans.

The kanji do look a little old style, but playing video game mahjong helped me get past the kanji recognition problem. If you play mahjong in MAME, you can pause it to study the tiles so your timer doesn't run out. If you play mahjong in Dream Club, girls will complain if you take too long, but you can disregard it, because the outcome is unaffected. Now, I can recognize them immediately.

my mum plays it every weekend

btw the images arent showing for me for some reason

Well this ain't your mom's mahjong...or maybe it actually is, if they are playing by the Japanese rules...

The images look ok to me in firefox. Maybe you can view them manually by right clicking to get image info, and paste the URL into the browser's address bar.

my mum plays it every weekend

btw the images arent showing for me for some reason

there plenty of different types

Chinese

Hong Kong

Taiwanese

Japanese (Riichi)

American (has some fucking random Joker tiles wtf)

taiwanese has more tiles

chinese (idk if hongkong) has season tiles

I think there's a korean one but idr much about it lol

i love Riichi mahjong

One day was playing on my psp -Saki- Portable....

and Senou scored with a kokushi shiisan yaochuu(or kokushi musou, whatever) plus, she did a sextuple...

[if you don't know, this multiplier is when you have all ends of each tile]

i've stopped to play for 3 days after that lol was the rarest hand that i ever saw in my life...

Too bad that mahjong is so complex to remember the multipliers... inclusiely because most winning and sequence hands are valid only closed.

Is good to play online? never tried, only used to play on video games.

if anyone have a psp there are good games like:

ひぐらしの哭く頃に 雀 (Versus)

萌える麻雀入門 もえじゃん! (Full-table)

咲 portable (Full-table)

アイドル雀士スーチーパイ Ⅳ (Versus) [Janshi has for MAME also originaly as strip mahjong]

ah if i don't remember this pic with a girl licking an ice cream is from Janshi franchise

One day was playing on my psp -Saki- Portable....

and Senou scored with a kokushi shiisan yaochuu(or kokushi musou, whatever) plus, she did a sextuple...

[if you don't know, this multiplier is when you have all ends of each tile]

i've stopped to play for 3 days after that lol was the rarest hand that i ever saw in my life...

Too bad that mahjong is so complex to remember the multipliers... inclusiely because most winning and sequence hands are valid only closed.

Wow that is rare. I know the one you mean, but I don't think I've seen anyone get it yet. Certainly I never got it myself. And to get 6x I think you have to have all unique tiles in tenpai, and match one of those on the last draw.

My feeling is, remember all the 1x and 2x multipliers first--they're the ones you normally have a chance of getting.

And combined with reach and dora, you can still win.

You've probably noticed that some games let tanyao be open, others make it be closed...

My favorite ones right now seem to be toi-toi or chi-toi-itsu. Or fanpai if nothing else.

I did get a rare hand once in Final Romance I think...it was dai-san-gen.

Is good to play online? never tried, only used to play on video games.

Both are good; online and video games. For online, I used tenhou.net; I wanted a no-nonsense site that would not make me download a client, made registration easy, and had snappy performance, rather than slower 3d graphics. (There are other sites you can use if you want 3d graphics.)

I'll tell you one thing: real players

-do sneak attacks

-won't discard things they think you need

-take instant advantage of things you discard

Whereas the 2d girls aren't programmed to do that. The computer just gives them better and better probability of good tiles as the game goes on, it seems.

It's also a lot harder to track the moves of 3 other players instead of one. But it's fun.

if anyone have a psp there are good games like:

ひぐらしの哭く頃に 雀 (Versus)

萌える麻雀入門 もえじゃん! (Full-table)

咲 portable (Full-table)

アイドル雀士スーチーパイ Ⅳ (Versus) [Janshi has for MAME also originaly as strip mahjong]

ah if i don't remember this pic with a girl licking an ice cream is from Janshi franchise

Yeah, I got もえじゃん(MoeJong), it was fun for a while. Never got around to getting Saki. But for full table, Dream Club just blows them away, I think it's the coolest full table game ever.

The ice cream pic is from Final Romance R. Final Romance R and Final Romance 4 are my favorites in MAME. My 2nd favorite is Jan-Jan Shimashou.

Wow that is rare. I know the one you mean, but I don't think I've seen anyone get it yet. Certainly I never got it myself. And to get 6x I think you have to have all unique tiles in tenpai, and match one of those on the last draw.

My feeling is, remember all the 1x and 2x multipliers first--they're the ones you normally have a chance of getting.

And combined with reach and dora, you can still win.

You've probably noticed that some games let tanyao be open, others make it be closed...

My favorite ones right now seem to be toi-toi or chi-toi-itsu. Or fanpai if nothing else.

I did get a rare hand once in Final Romance I think...it was dai-san-gen.

Huuuh i always wanted to do any hard multiplier with winds and elements... Never had luck... only captured fanpai as usual.

about the tanyao yes. but way risky; not my type of gamming. I only capture a discard if im veeery certain about it, or if is after my round(when there is 15 or less tiles in game), to discard +1 round ahead others.

hmmm my favorites are Iipeko, Chanta and Sanankou. But usually i only make "dirty" suits...

My rarest hand in a normal(without powerups etc..) game was an open Chiniisoo if i don't remember.

Now in Saki for example lol things like Rinjan Kaihoo or Suu kantsu are more or less normal for example because their specials.(special hands are still veeeery rare anyways)

Both are good; online and video games. For online, I used tenhou.net; I wanted a no-nonsense site that would not make me download a client, made registration easy, and had snappy performance, rather than slower 3d graphics. (There are other sites you can use if you want 3d graphics.)

I'll tell you one thing: real players

-do sneak attacks

-won't discard things they think you need

-take instant advantage of things you discard

Whereas the 2d girls aren't programmed to do that. The computer just gives them better and better probability of good tiles as the game goes on, it seems.

It's also a lot harder to track the moves of 3 other players instead of one. But it's fun.

Yeah, I got もえじゃん(MoeJong), it was fun for a while. Never got around to getting Saki. But for full table, Dream Club just blows them away, I think it's the coolest full table game ever.

The ice cream pic is from Final Romance R. Final Romance R and Final Romance 4 are my favorites in MAME. My 2nd favorite is Jan-Jan Shimashou.

huuh yes.... 3 players is veery hard, most of times doesn't work at all by "guessing". and Nah Lol Saki is the best imo, the "specialities" makes a lot of fun to play, each character have more probabilities for an especific multiplier, and you can activate special to make more and more rare hands. (detail: specials activates by a situtation, not with you activating)

Examples:

Saki=only activates when you make a Kan, for Riijan Kaihou

Yuuki=Only at first round (and isn't too good her special)

Mako=When is losing, her chances to get wan is like 73%

Hisa=only when you need to win with Infernal tiles (loolz play as bad/random possible here)

I guess i'll give a shot for test online

and ahhh final romance... i've played it already on mame; didn't remember at all, bad mistake;;

Huuuh i always wanted to do any hard multiplier with winds and elements... Never had luck... only captured fanpai as usual.

about the tanyao yes. but way risky; not my type of gamming. I only capture a discard if im veeery certain about it, or if is after my round(when there is 15 or less tiles in game), to discard +1 round ahead others.

hmmm my favorites are Iipeko, Chanta and Sanankou. But usually i only make "dirty" suits...

My rarest hand in a normal(without powerups etc..) game was an open Chiniisoo if i don't remember.

Now in Saki for example lol things like Rinjan Kaihoo or Suu kantsu are more or less normal for example because their specials.(special hands are still veeeery rare anyways)

huuh yes.... 3 players is veery hard, most of times doesn't work at all by "guessing". and Nah Lol Saki is the best imo, the "specialities" makes a lot of fun to play, each character have more probabilities for an especific multiplier, and you can activate special to make more and more rare hands. (detail: specials activates by a situtation, not with you activating)

Examples:

Saki=only activates when you make a Kan, for Riijan Kaihou

Yuuki=Only at first round (and isn't too good her special)

Mako=When is losing, her chances to get wan is like 73%

Hisa=only when you need to win with Infernal tiles (loolz play as bad/random possible here)

I guess i'll give a shot for test online

and ahhh final romance... i've played it already on mame; didn't remember at all, bad mistake;;

Saki Portable...

they actually programmed the game with the special abilities of the players in the manga/anime

such as saki WILL ACTUALLY WIN OFF RINSHAN KAIHOU (immediate win off kan)

whereas real games, people dont actually have these imba powers.

Saki Portable...

they actually programmed the game with the special abilities of the players in the manga/anime

such as saki WILL ACTUALLY WIN OFF RINSHAN KAIHOU (immediate win off kan)

whereas real games, people dont actually have these imba powers.

Yep

actually is when the winning tile is your extra draw after you make a kan.

Because that is fun to play Saki. But still is pretty hard to do any multiplier with 4+. Rinjan for example only works like 1/20 more or less.

And most players are cheated lolzz makes even harder to win or making ron for example

• 3 weeks later...

Mahjong is that game they played in the anime Saki

Why is Saki always the anime mentioned on the topic of Mahjong, but not the superior anime Akagi, (at least in my opinion it's superior).

1336249308908.jpg

Anyway, I tried playing a single player version and play against bots. I usually get my ass kicked, but I have improved a bit. But I haven't played it in over half a year now. I would much rather watch Akagi do some crazy ass shit in Mahjong, than I would play it.

I play both the Japanese and Taiwanese variants.

Funny that you make the post, I just got back from a game.

I don't know how to count non yakuman points in Japanese (usually Tenho does it for me), also bad at telling when I'm furiten.

I don't know how to count points either in the Taiwanese variant, usually other people do that for me. (16 tiles, easy to win)

Believe me, Saki makes yakuman look easy to get.

I've gotten a 嶺上開花 around 5 times, 十三不塔 Once, Seven pairs many times, and I've never gotten a 国士無双 (Though I've been tenpai 4 times).

I play both the Japanese and Taiwanese variants.

Funny that you make the post, I just got back from a game.

I don't know how to count non yakuman points in Japanese (usually Tenho does it for me), also bad at telling when I'm furiten.

I don't know how to count points either in the Taiwanese variant, usually other people do that for me. (16 tiles, easy to win)

Believe me, Saki makes yakuman look easy to get.

I've gotten a 嶺上開花 around 5 times, 十三不塔 Once, Seven pairs many times, and I've never gotten a 国士無双 (Though I've been tenpai 4 times).

I don't really keep track of scoring at all rofl

I play the one my parents play + Japanese/Riichi

yes saki makes yakuman look easy, given that they all have imba powers.

I've got chiitoitsu/7 pairs quite a bit, kokushi musou and rinshan kaihou like once on http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html vs some bots

Yep

actually is when the winning tile is your extra draw after you make a kan.

Because that is fun to play Saki. But still is pretty hard to do any multiplier with 4+. Rinjan for example only works like 1/20 more or less.

And most players are cheated lolzz makes even harder to win or making ron for example

I know, that's winning how you win off of a kan is.. >>

Why is Saki always the anime mentioned on the topic of Mahjong, but not the superior anime Akagi, (at least in my opinion it's superior).

1336249308908.jpg

Anyway, I tried playing a single player version and play against bots. I usually get my ass kicked, but I have improved a bit. But I haven't played it in over half a year now. I would much rather watch Akagi do some crazy ass shit in Mahjong, than I would play it.

because Saki has girls

also saki powers > Akagi

also in terms of that, read The Legend of Koizumi, that shit's even more wtf

because Saki has girls

You got me there. I honestly can say that I don't think their was one girl in the whole Akagi anime, and probably the manga series as well. Although, I didn't really mind because I was to distracted by Akagi mentally raping people to really care if their were girls or not.

also saki powers > Akagi

That is where I call Bullshit. Now I admit I dropped Saki after only 2 episodes, but Akagi is the physical embodiment of Gambling itself. That is why he is so enigmatic, and that is why he never loses. Now Saki may be a really good player, but Akagi will still mentally troll, and rape her like he did with

Washizo Iwao.

This is what will happen to Saki if she faces Akagi:

also in terms of that, read The Legend of Koizumi, that shit's even more wtf

I looked it up just now and it seems awesome, thanks for the suggestion. :)/>/>

Because saki plays Mahjong like a pro~ lol.

n5uaNpx.jpg

Believe me, they are just playing Mahjong ~:)/>/>

That is pretty hot. NO! I mustn't get distracted by cuteness, and suggestive material! Akagi is still the ultimate Mahjong anime! Even if it doesn't have cute girls.

You got me there. I honestly can say that I don't think their was one girl in the whole Akagi anime, and probably the manga series as well. Although, I didn't really mind because I was to distracted by Akagi mentally raping people to really care if their were girls or not.

l0l

That is where I call Bullshit. Now I admit I dropped Saki after only 2 episodes, but Akagi is the physical embodiment of Gambling itself. That is why he is so enigmatic, and that is why he never loses. Now Saki may be a really good player, but Akagi will still mentally troll, and rape her like he did with

Washizo Iwao.

This is what will happen to Saki if she faces Akagi:

ok, so I'm not sure how you think pure gambling abilities do anything when your opponent is able to always double-riichi, and everyone else is stuck with shit hands that are so far from winning when she starts in tenpai, always getting a direct hit on anyone, can just manipulate her score anyways, can predict and see future draws/hands/discards, and etc, unless you have the power to nullify other's power.

Sure you can slight of hand your way out of a ton of shit, but it's not gonna do anything vs people with supernatural powers.

although I should say everything - your comments, my comments, etc are all opinions.

I should add that inter-anime powerlevel comparison have never been a good idea. Especially between anime that much different.

It's like asking if Shiki can kill Beatrice. (Run out of the thread --->[])

You're probably right, but Akagi The Genius Who Descended Into Darkness is number 6 on my top ten anime list because of Akagi as a character. I couldn't consider myself a fan if I didn't defend his bad assness. This is a question of Loyalty, not Rationality! :P

ok, so I'm not sure how you think pure gambling abilities do anything when your opponent is able to always double-riichi, and everyone else is stuck with shit hands that are so far from winning when she starts in tenpai, always getting a direct hit on anyone, can just manipulate her score anyways, can predict and see future draws/hands/discards, and etc, unless you have the power to nullify other's power.

Sure you can slight of hand your way out of a ton of shit, but it's not gonna do anything vs people with supernatural powers.

although I should say everything - your comments, my comments, etc are all opinions.

I might actually have to watch Saki to further debate with you, but I'll try my best for now :P. Anyway, you said so yourself the one thing that could help you win is if you can nullify other people's powers, and Akagi would be able to do that. I'm not sure if you watched Akagi, but it is often questioned whether Akagi is the devil incarnate. Akagi has devil like luck, along with always knowing what people will do. Akagi will psychologically deconstruct Saki, or any other character that he plays Mahjong with, and will not only read their movements but will manipulate them as well. Also as I mentioned previously Akagi's hands usually, "look like he made a pact with the devil" so he already has luck on his side. I'm not sure how high stakes Saki got, but Akagi won't even play against someone unless they are essentially betting their life. No body who plays against Akagi comes back the same person.

On a side note: I would be really interested in Saki if they did gamble with incredibly high stakes, the reason Saki turned me off was because the art and the atmosphere of the show didn't strike me as serious enough.

I might actually have to watch Saki to further debate with you, but I'll try my best for now :P/>/>/>. Anyway, you said so yourself the one thing that could help you win is if you can nullify other people's powers, and Akagi would be able to do that. I'm not sure if you watched Akagi, but it is often questioned whether Akagi is the devil incarnate. Akagi has devil like luck, along with always knowing what people will do. Akagi will psychologically deconstruct Saki, or any other character that he plays Mahjong with, and will not only read their movements but will manipulate them as well. Also as I mentioned previously Akagi's hands usually, "look like he made a pact with the devil" so he already has luck on his side. I'm not sure how high stakes Saki got, but Akagi won't even play against someone unless they are essentially betting their life. No body who plays against Akagi comes back the same person.

@nullify other people's powers, she can only do that during edges of the mahjong wall, if they start in the middle of the sides of the mahjong wall, then they still autowin.

unless you played a digital version style mahjong such as Nodoka or Touka. where you ignore presence of other people (so turning invisible does jack shit for you)

@ betting their life: lol no, you might want to check on what kinds of manga you're looking at and what mangas we're comparing before you make comparisons like that.

On a side note: I would be really interested in Saki if they did gamble with incredibly high stakes, the reason Saki turned me off was because the art and the atmosphere of the show didn't strike me as serious enough.

then Saki does not appeal to you, but I don't think there's really a point in comparing mahjong anime/manga either, also there's just so few of these manga in comparison to say... normal sport manga

also if you take a look at the genres

Genres: drama, action/sport, comedy, romance

Themes: mahjong, school life, tournament, bishoujo, fanservice, yuri, supernatural, moe, camp (style), slice of life

Demographics: seinen

Yeah.

Also I'm not arguing with you if Akagi is badass or not, you're just saying he, a normal human, can beat people with supernatural powers that just literally give you the game unless you have a similar power to counteract it, which if you've ever ACTUALLY EVEN played mahjong you'll think that's... kinda silly.

Backstories!

Somewhat undeveloped, but there are reasons for why they all play. It isn't for money, but for personal reasons.

Also I'm not arguing with you if Akagi is badass or not, you're just saying he, a normal human, can beat people with supernatural powers that just literally give you the game unless you have a similar power to counteract it, which if you've ever ACTUALLY EVEN played mahjong you'll think that's... kinda silly.

Well I'm glad you don't disagree that Akagi is badass. In all honesty the only reason why I brought Akagi up in the first place was because I don't understand how an anime that takes a very dark and realistic approach to life and death gambling, can be less popular than a show that is lighthearted and not nearly as serious. I didn't really mean to debate about who would win in a game, I just don't understand why Saki is more popular.

Well I'm glad you don't disagree that Akagi is badass. In all honesty the only reason why I brought Akagi up in the first place was because I don't understand how an anime that takes a very dark and realistic approach to life and death gambling, can be less popular than a show that is lighthearted and not serious. I didn't really mean to debate about who would win in a game, I just don't understand why Saki is more popular.

that would be the :girls: and the :moe: factor

also yuri

I don't understand how an anime that takes a very dark and realistic approach to life and death gambling, can be less popular than a show that is lighthearted and not nearly as serious

Welcome to any storytelling media ever? It's always been the case and probably always be for anime, manga, movies, and even books. (We're talking in terms of popularity here of course)

(I don't intend to be mean at all in case it's not clear, too much time on the internet makes me bitter :P)

Welcome to any storytelling media ever? It's always been the case and probably always be for anime, manga, movies, and even books. (We're talking in terms of popularity here of course)

(I don't intend to be mean at all in case it's not clear, too much time on the internet makes me bitter :P)

Lol, I already was painfully aware of the answer before I even asked it. I was just hoping that maybe I was wrong, (unfortunately it turns out I was right).