Herp Derp Awards

Snowtsuku

I thought of having something like an awarding for some VNs and the vote will come from here. I was thinking of naming it sa Fuwa Awards and having it on the main page as a community recommendation but since not everyone might agree, I did not put a name yet. Anyway, I'll post this on tumblr if people at least support it.

Anyway, this is not yet a voting thread. This is more like a conception thread. If people won't care then I won't continue with this one xD

The Categories I was able to come up with are the following

Best Visual Novel

Best Long Length Visual Novel

Best Medium Length Visual Novel

Best Short Length Visual Novel

Best Visual Novel Producer

Best Visual Novel Protagonist

Best Visual Novel Heroine

Best Visual Novel Side Character

Best Visual Novel Art
Aside from the categories, I would also like to use a 5 point voting format. Each of us has 5 points in each category which we can distribute to several choices. For example, you can vote for Clannad as the best visual novel giving it 5 points. You can also vote for clannad with 3 points and 2 points for LB or have 5 visual novels with 1 point each. What do you guys think xD Suggestions atm:
VN vs VN voting (May be a bracket or a round robin)

Crack Awards

That works, but very difficult because most people haven't played that many.

ppl end up voting the one of the few they have played like katawa shoujo, so it becomes a popularity contest more so than a quality contest.

There was someone doing something similar on gamefaqs they put up VN1 vs VN2, and only people who have played both can vote for either one.

And then it's round robin, whichever VN wins gets to proceed to the next round. About 16 different VNs were picked based on their popularity.

yep what Aaeru said, you could use this forum for nominations, nominate the ones that are most often mentioned between people.

But then you would need people to actually play all of them to decide which is the best in each category xD

Many of the best game awards like spike and crap like that is popularity contest or even worse it is decided by people who never played all of the games. And therefore you see CoD and craps like that win every year xD

Making VN awards would be even harder as there are some that are like 200 hours long...

Also its worth mentioning that VNs are mostly subjective just as are games or books depending on genre so having award for the best VN is like having award for the best game ever or best book ever (and its stupid). It cannot be done. People who like horror will vote horror, people who like moe will vote moe.

Its like voting on what music genre is the best.

I'll come right out and promise not to push my Katawa Shoujo agenda on everybody else. Just want to put that out there. (Steve's the exception)

Now, more to the topic: I've thought about making a topic like this, but for the reasons mentioned decided that it would be hard to do. Maybe what we could do is make a head-to-head competition, where we choose two games, let people play them, and then have votes on favorite characters, plot points, jokes, etc.

That would lessen the entrance play-time, and would still be awesome. : )

The closest thing I can come up with for that kind of thing would be adding a 'review' section in the website or the forum.

Something that would allow members to post a constructed review of a VN with a /10 (or /whatever) rating.

By doing this, if at least one person here read a certain VN he can tell everyone what he thinks about it, and other people can then decide based on the review(s) if they want to read it or not.

Imposing the review to be constructed in order to give a mark would avoid the brainless rating and the 'binary rating' inconsistencies (I liked this VN i'll give it 10/10, didn't like this one read 3 lines i'll give it 0/10...).

Of course we still can't rank/award VNs if there are not enough reviews, 3 seems like a bare minimum... But that would still serve the recommendation part.

The closest thing I can come up with for that kind of thing would be adding a 'review' section in the website or the forum.

Something that would allow members to post a constructed review of a VN with a /10 (or /whatever) rating.

By doing this, if at least one person here read a certain VN he can tell everyone what he thinks about it, and other people can then decide based on the review(s) if they want to read it or not.

Imposing the review to be constructed in order to give a mark would avoid the brainless rating and the 'binary rating' inconsistencies (I liked this VN i'll give it 10/10, didn't like this one read 3 lines i'll give it 0/10...).

Of course we still can't rank/award VNs if there are not enough reviews, 3 seems like a bare minimum... But that would still serve the recommendation part.

well review is nice and all... but there is too much spoiler in them if you are not professional reviewer.

Especially when talking about something that is purely story driven, often times not experienced reviewers use specific examples to explain what they mean.

Ofc good reviewer will imply the feeling of the subject without spoiling the plot but there is really few people who can do that, whether it is in movie, game or book industry. That's why I usually have specific people to let review stuff for me (Angry Joe for games for example) Because I know what to expect from them and I can expect quality. I was never fan of user reviews for these kind of media. Sure you find user review for a phone or tv or CPU you are buying but that is a lot different from unprofessional movie or book or game or vn reviews.

So that said reviewing is a profession you need to have skill for, its not like everyone can write a review. Everyone can write their opinion on stuff and his rating.. but thats what we already do in the specific game topics here on fuwan, I have for example posted on why I like hosimemo in the respective topic, but it wasn't a review smile.gif

Hm, we do not seem to be talking about the same thing here, I might have used the wrong word. What I meant by 'review' was really just telling what did you like/dislike and why. Doesn't have to be very long and convoluted and professional, just more elaborate than a few lines hastily thrown without argument, enough to support the mark you give. I see it done and do it myself for animes all the time and everything works fine.

The advantage of having a specific place to write it is that when you post on the topic, everything is scattered all around and lost between conversations, it's really about doing something synthetic about what people think.

And of course, it's spoiler-free.

I like Tay's idea of having two VNs and letting read through them then vote, but like someone else mentioned, we should we wait until we have a lot more active members.

On a less serious note, I'd like to suggest "Crack Awards," for stuff that's just so over-the-top/bizarre that it deserves an award :D

That works, but very difficult because most people haven't played that many.

ppl end up voting the one of the few they have played like katawa shoujo, so it becomes a popularity contest more so than a quality contest.

There was someone doing something similar on gamefaqs they put up VN1 vs VN2, and only people who have played both can vote for either one.

And then it's round robin, whichever VN wins gets to proceed to the next round. About 16 different VNs were picked based on their popularity.

I was also thinking about it since even I was only able to read around 25+ VNs so I can only mention a few. Since we are talking about what we want other people to read, I don't think this one being a popularity contest is that bad. People may argue with me but I think that quality itself is subjective. As long as people enjoyed what they read, I think they have the right to suggest it.

yep what Aaeru said, you could use this forum for nominations, nominate the ones that are most often mentioned between people.

But then you would need people to actually play all of them to decide which is the best in each category xD

Many of the best game awards like spike and crap like that is popularity contest or even worse it is decided by people who never played all of the games. And therefore you see CoD and craps like that win every year xD

Making VN awards would be even harder as there are some that are like 200 hours long...

Also its worth mentioning that VNs are mostly subjective just as are games or books depending on genre so having award for the best VN is like having award for the best game ever or best book ever (and its stupid). It cannot be done. People who like horror will vote horror, people who like moe will vote moe.

I also want to add some awards by genre but even I was not able to name a genre that can contain a lot of VNs. This is why I am looking for suggestions. If you have thought of any where at least 5 or more VNs fit in, feel free to suggest.

I'll come right out and promise not to push my Katawa Shoujo agenda on everybody else. Just want to put that out there. (Steve's the exception)

Now, more to the topic: I've thought about making a topic like this, but for the reasons mentioned decided that it would be hard to do. Maybe what we could do is make a head-to-head competition, where we choose two games, let people play them, and then have votes on favorite characters, plot points, jokes, etc.

That would lessen the entrance play-time, and would still be awesome. : )

That suggestion would work if we are only looking for the best. However, the second and the third place might not deserve their spot as some of the VNs might get knocked down earlier. We can however modify it as a round robin and decide base on the match up scores. Thanks for the idea btw.

I think this is something we should do when we have more active members.

I think this event, or whatever you want to call it can also attract new members who wanted to vote for their favorite VNs. The number of guests I see everyday in the forum can somehow make this one a success, if they join.

This sounds cool. I agree with everyone though, most people might not have a huge collection of completed VNs.

Great idea though im sure we can figure something out.

If you have thought of something feel free to suggest.

We already gave a review in the download pages, though every one can edit it.

I like Tay's idea of having two VNs and letting read through them then vote, but like someone else mentioned, we should we wait until we have a lot more active members.

On a less serious note, I'd like to suggest "Crack Awards," for stuff that's just so over-the-top/bizarre that it deserves an award biggrin.gif

If you can give me several VNs that you think will be able to fit in, then I'll be adding it.

I would also like to explain why I chose the 5 point system tentatively. The advantage of the 5 point system is that the number of points to give depends on someone. Also, since one it not required to use all the 5 points, someone who played a single VN can also participate voting but may still be objective in his vote. For example, if he thinks that the VN he only read is a masterpiece then he can give it a perfect 5 or 4. If he thinks the VN is just average, he can just give it a 3 or 2 and If he thinks the VN is just fine he can give it a 1 or not vote for it at all. This kind of voting IMO makes the poll flexible enough to be able to cover up what we lackf or now.

Very true. There will also be variance on what people consider a VN, is Corpse Party a VN? or Get Raped by Beta: The Game?

then could we split this up into genres? Like best horror, best romance, and then best overall?

On a less serious note, I'd like to suggest "Crack Awards," for stuff that's just so over-the-top/bizarre that it deserves an award :D/>

+1

Some of the dialogue in G線上の魔王 would be great for this award

Very true. There will also be variance on what people consider a VN, is Corpse Party a VN? or Get Raped by Beta: The Game?

then could we split this up into genres? Like best horror, best romance, and then best overall?

I would like to add the genre but I do not know what I should add since I think adding too much genre won't be nice.