Getting my avatar back

SanadaShadow

Alright, so a short while before I was banned for a second time, it came to my attention that several people were complaining that my avatar was "too distracting". I then removed it and switched to a picture of a yellow square. People apparently also complained about said square, because I was banned directly afterwards.

I have since been going with the default pic for quite a while now, but I feel too much like I'm being... Not me. Reasons aside, This topic is just to ask if a certain avatar is okay or not. It would be especially appreciated if those who complained may offer feedback on the matter. I shall post the pic in the next post.

Alright, so a short while before I was banned for a second time, it came to my attention that several people were complaining that my avatar was "too distracting".

Too distracting... yeah, that's not a problem with your avatar. Also if the mods have a problem with .gifs being used as an avatar, a post in the forum rules section would be very helpful.

Were there really complaints over a yellow square? Ahaha.

Look Sanada, just change your avatar already. If you get banned for it, and I don’t think you will, then take it up with Tay. Distracting avatars are not ban-worthy offences, nor are they grounds for requesting a user change their avatar. If .gifs are not to be used, an amendment to the forum rules is necessary.

If Steve took the matter up with you because users found it ‘distracting’, then he was abusing his power. But he is no longer an admin (thank God) and so you can feel free to ignore his concerns.

When I said he was abusing his power, he said that the majority wins over the minority. When I asked who was complaining, he ignored the question. WTF.

From the messages: 

Steve: Also please don't animated avatars.

Me: I don't think there was a rule like that. I've seen about four other people using it. Why are you targeting me?

S: People are complaining about it being too excessive.

Me: Too excessive? How?

S: It is unpleasant to read static text when there is an animated avatar or signature moving on the screen.

Especially when its flashing and quickly moving like the gif you were using.

So please respect other people's eyes.

Me: Uh-huh. Well, I think that's their problem rather than mine. Also, I believe you're simply targeting me for the hell of it. I can choose to have a GIF avatar, and I don't need to take it down unless it's unanimously agreed or it's ruled by the majority to become a rule. You want me to take it down? Debate it instead of simply ordering me, because otherwise it's abuse of power. (Maybe I was wrong here? I don't fucking know.)

S: Sadly for you, that is not how it works. If several valuable members of our community complain about your avatar being too unpleasant for them, it is our responsibility as staff to ensure its change to something more fitting a text based forum.

So yes, it is their problem, but you are the cause of the problem. And since fuwanovel is a friendly community, we try to solve problems of our members, often by eradicating the source of it - your avatar in this case.

And lastly, this is nothing personal as you might think (and have expressed your dissatisfaction about on the forums).

I didn't care much about your posts earlier since they weren't in the topic I follow, but every day I receive complaints about them and so I decided to be the staff member who will try to help you adapt to fuwanovel community and its policies.

It could have as well been Kaguya or Nosebleed or any other active moderator doing it, I just happened to have time so I said I will do it.

Decision of a staff member is the decision of the whole staff team.

And if you think a decision of the whole staff team is abuse of power, you will have to deal with it or go somewhere else.

Me: Seriously- help me understand why people complain about my avatar being "distracting". It makes no sense to me.

S: well then ill just copy some text from classic web design articles

Animations are distracting.  How can anyone concentrate on reading what's in the topic when there are things moving around the page?  It's like trying to read a newspaper when someone's poking you in the shoulder repeatedly.

If you still don't understand it, I recommend reading some articles on web design with animated gifs, the principle is the same.

Me: That's not what I was asking about. I want to know why my GIF alone is so distracting. 

S: That is the same as asking why water is wet or fire is hot. I'm sure someone could give you a scientific explanation to all of those but it's not gonna be me, you can look it up.

But the point is: It just is distracting and you have to accept it.

And the same way you should reconsider your behavior on the forums, if there are people reporting your posts and complaining about you, you are probably doing something wrong to fit the community.

And as we have it here, we are willing to sacrifice one person in order to satisfy many others, so if that's what it takes, we might need to part our ways soon.

So try your best figuring out what you're doing wrong, before you are forced to leave to learn in other parts of the internet what is and isn't acceptable.

We give everyone equal chance, but if they refuse to take it, it is their decision only.

And that's the gist of it.

Ah, I read this earlier on your feed. Yeah, I'm a stalker of all people on fuwanovel.

In my opinion, why should you change your profile picture because it's distracting?

There's a large amount of distracting stuff in this world, and those two images you showed me simply didn't make the cut.

The forum isn't a democracy, and it's Tay's forum. Not Steve's.

This is entirely true. We don't own or run the forums, and so our opinion doesn't nesscarily effect the descriptions made. Fuwanovel isn't earning anything from maintains these forums every month, thus we cannot expect too much. As for why Tay ignored you, he might have been busy, since he always seems so.

Ooh, a word I didn't know. Yet another thing to add to my vocabulary.

There's a large amount of distracting stuff in this world, and those two images you showed me simply didn't make the cut.

Is this one distracting, though?

mario_jackson_dance_smiley_emoticon.gif

It's the original one that Steve warned me about.

*The reason you were banned wasn't because of your avatar.

*I'll add to the rules that .gif avatars and banners aren't allowed, if it really causes trouble. Scratch that. Unless someone convinces me or another staff members that light .gif are a bother, we'll leave it this way.

*This aside, put whatever you want as your avatar as long as it's within the rules.

*People need to cut Steve some slack already. And as he mentioned, if he hadn't been the one coming up to discuss and/or hand out a warning, another staff members would have done the same.

*I'll add to the rules that .gif avatars and banners aren't allowed, if it really causes trouble.

*This aside, put whatever you want as your avatar as long as it's within the rules.

*People need to cut Steve some slack already. And as he mentioned, if he hadn't been the one coming up to discuss and/or hand out a warning, another staff members would have done the same.

Okay, so this thread is at an end, but just to clarify, at this point, GIFs are still allowed, right?

Also, what was I banned for, then? I remember being extra-careful around the forums after the warning.

...What I meant wasn't that Steve specifically was targeting me, but that a moderator was targeting me when there were others with GIF avatars.

Then like Sanada said before, the reason behind a banning should be expressed clearly. Because reading Steve's post, the majority of it was dealing with Sanada's inappropriate avatar... with a couple of sentences down the bottom dealing with inappropriate behaviour. Also, a staff member shouldn't be threatening Sanada with regard to his avatar in the first place. 

Maybe another staff member would have dealt with the pertinent matters at hand. 

And no, Steve gets no slack-cutting from me.

Then like Sanada said before, the reason behind a banning should be expressed clearly. Because reading Steve's post, the majority of it was dealing with Sanada's inappropriate avatar... with a couple of sentences down the bottom dealing with inappropriate behaviour. Also, a staff member shouldn't be threatening Sanada with regard to his avatar in the first place. 

I agree that it should be expressed more clearly, but he did say something on the matter...

S: On behalf of Topic Creators I have to ask to you stop derailing their topics and commenting with posts unrelated to the discussion.

If you have nothing to say on the topic of a thread, do not reply.

ummm, this forum seems to take the rules very seriously, so I dont get why we cant get a straight answer on why he was banned. Since when is there a need to argue about why he was banned, shouldnt that be recorded or sent to him in a direct message or something? What's this about "probably the gif"?

I agree that it should be expressed more clearly, but he did say something on the matter...

S: On behalf of Topic Creators I have to ask to you stop derailing their topics and commenting with posts unrelated to the discussion.

Did he make the reason you were banned clear? 

And I'm familiar with their inconsistent application of the derailing rule. I had received a few complaints that people were warned for derailing via PM, and yet there was this giant topic in the fan-translation forum...

Did he make the reason you were banned clear? 

ummm, this forum seems to take the rules very seriously, so I dont get why we cant get a straight answer on why he was banned.

I think this is clear enough of a warning:

The log say he was warned several times, which resulted in a ban.

The avatar thing is just a minor side affair, whether his conversation with Steve was pages long or not.

I would personally consider gifs being force-changed to go under a blanket "don't be a dick" rule, given how annoying it is - this isn't really power abuse. The mario posted is annoying as fuck. There are a few people (one?) who have very subtly animated signatures, which could be an exception. There's this other guy who also has a signature with a lot of movement, and yes I would like to see this removed as well.

The static image you posted should be ok, I would stay away from the mario one.

Edit: avatar to signature

Edited by Zakamutt

Well, now I know one person who complained.

The avatar thing is just a minor side affair, whether his conversation with Steve was pages long or not.

I was warned once. It doesn't help that I wasn't told why I was being warned.

Yea, I didnt read closely enough. That said, it could probably be stated a little more clearly, because he tells Sanada off, but he also tells him off for the animated gif. It's not as clear as it should be (evidenced by the fact that this thread exists...).

Considering he was warned for his behaviour AND his avatar... no. It's not. It's obviously resulted in much confusion.

It doesn't come off as a minor side affair. Not everyone has access to the staff forum where these things are discussed.