Vn Engines

shirone

Sorry if this thread is already somewhere on this forum, but I was just wondering if anybody knew what program/engine the newer visual novels are running on. Aka Stuff like Grisaia, Koisuru Natsu, Koichoco etc. Do they still run on Kirikiri/NScripter (All i could find about this stuff lol) or some other platform? Thanks 

Priopertary means made-in-house. They are engines written by the studios, completely from scratch in a way that best suits their needs for their games. Because some of them are easy to work with and allow huge modifications, they often become popular enough for the devs to consider selling it to other studios or even release them as full development suite. Just like UE3 and cryEngine.

Engine development is one of the areas which has been killing the Japanese gaming industry. Unlike Western development, Japanese gaming studios tend to spend a long time making a new engine for each game they make, and then abandoning it. Konami created a powerful new engine for MGS4, then never used it again. This is incredibly inefficient and costs a boat-load of time and money (although Konami are finally getting the idea with their new Fox engine.) Final Fantasy XIII has been a welcome exception, where they used the same engine for all 3 games substantially reducing the development time for the later 2. However, mucking around with the engine is part of the reason for the massive development time behind FFXV. 

Not to mention Japanese Game developers find it much more difficult to licence 3rd party engines. Compare that to the West where Bioware licenced the Unreal Engine for their Mass Effect games, Borderlands uses the Unreal engine, Bioshock uses the unreal engine, XCOM uses the unreal engine, Gears of war uses the unreal engine, Wasteland 2 uses Unity, the Witcher 1 uses Aurora. Modding existing engines is where the West's PC background provides an advantage.

Anything which shortens development time for Japanese studios is a good thing. Spending ages building an engine from scratch when it's not needed is throwing money down the drain.

I've noticed a lot of shared engines between VNs. I'm not familiar enough to name them, but you can tell that Aiyoku no Eustia uses the same engine as Konosora (If My Heart Had Wings), Majikoi uses the same engine as Duel Savior, and Edelweiss uses the same engine as Da Capo. Because VNs are so much simpler, I think you see engine licensing much more often. 

Japanese developers of other kinds of games are starting to use more standardized engines as well. Fox Engine is meant to be Konami's one-size-fits-all engine, Capcom made MT Framework to do that a while ago, and I've seen some Japanese developers use Unreal Engine.

Ren'Py became so powerful at the moment, you could basically take your time and develop your own enviroment from scratch and then reuse it for every next game, benefiting from any upcoming updates. Considering a lot of games (like WAB series, for example) are basically different stories set within the same distinct design range, it could cut down the costs of production tremendously and allow developers to focus on the most important parts of the design.