The Central Pokemon Topic

Stray Cat

But still my points stand

Rowlet has pretty much one of the worst typings around, which makes really not viable in the competitive scene.

Litten's typing is good for Fairy and Steel checks and makes for a good offensive core with something that's weak to Fairy. It also is a good choice for a Dark monotype team for those pesky Fairy-types.

Poplio is well...

Firstly, it has potential to shine, but it all depends on three things: movepool, final typing and its Speed stat.

If its movepool is wide, it can work as a bulky sweeper with Choice Specs or something or a surprise sweeper with a Scarf. If not, well, I guess it's just a generic Water-type bulky sweeper or a wall.

The speculated Water/Fighting is a rather uncommon typing, but it's not the best, both offensively and defensively. Defensively, it gets destroyed by every fast Electric type out there and Fighting gives it a glaring weakness to Flying, one of the most common offensive types. It also gives a weakness to Fairy, a type that's been ganikg more and more usafe offenaively. Offensively, Water is common offensive typing, it's okay. Fighting gives it an edge to Steel, Dark, Normal and Ice. Dark and Normal don't pose an issue, but Steel was never an issue to Water-types, given their natural resistance to it. Same goes with Ice. Honestly, this type combination only adds weaknesses and barely any positives. Fighting is also a crap offensive typing for special attackers, with only good attacks being Aura Sphere, which is horribly rare, and Focus Blast, which can't be trusted, ever. I dearly hope its typing isn't this.

If it's fast, it can make its place with the other fast water sweepers. Water-types often utilize Ice and Flying attacks, both very good offensive types. This makes Water-types great sweepers. But, if Poplio is slow, it'll just stay as the generic slow Water attacker, which we have so many of already. And looking at the design, honestly, it's hard to see this one having a faster base speed than 85 in its third stage.

Edited by Arcadeotic

@Arcadeotic My complaints about the metagame as an activity aside, yes, I agree -- assuming that all of these very early predictions about the starters' types are accurate down the line, and also assuming that GF doesn't tweak the meta further in Gen 7. Gen 6 set a precedent that they are paying attention and are willing do things like removing resistances from Steel or even dethroning Dragon.

Don't forget about Hidden Abilities, either. Do you really think Greninja would be OU, let alone banned, without Protean? ;)

For all we know, Nyabii could have Prankster or something.

16 minutes ago, Makudomi said:

@Arcadeotic My complaints about the metagame as an activity aside, yes, I agree -- assuming that all of these very early predictions about the starters' types are accurate down the line, and also assuming that GF doesn't tweak the meta further in Gen 7. Gen 6 set a precedent that they are paying attention and are willing do things like removing resistances from Steel or even dethroning Dragon.

Don't forget about Hidden Abilities, either. Do you really think Greninja would be OU, let alone banned, without Protean? ;)

For all we know, Nyabii could have Prankster or something.

Yeah, I've been in the competitive scene for about three years, and I assume most of these predictions will come true

Anyways, Rowlet's utterly garbage type really can't be saved with a HA

If Litten got Prankster, it'd basically be Liepard 2.0, so I doubt it'd happen. If it did, it'd easily change from a sweeper to a pivot. But honestly, I think it's going to get something like Solar Power, something to enhance its attack power. It makes most sense.

Poplio'll probably get Hydration or something. Starters' HAs have usually been quite generic, booating a certain stat in one way or other. It could also be Swift Swim, which honestly wiuld be the best case scenario, making it very viable in rain teams.

@Arcadeotic Same amount of years as me, then. ;D

I don't disagree with your predictions of what would happen IF they become Grass/Flying, Fire/Dark, and Water/XXXX with mediocre abilities that barely surpass Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent in terms of relevance. I'm just saying that GF still has so much time to surprise us that it's a little pointless to jump to conclusions.

And hey, going off of Gen 6 starter HAs...you can't say that they weren't given unique abilities, even if Magician is trash and Bulletproof is "kind of useful sometimes". Personally, I think that they're going to give at least one of them something unexpected. Would anyone have expected Chespin to turn into a giant Man-Chipmunk, or even Fennekin to randomly become a witch? First stage designs only say so much about the final form. Like, if I had my Gen 3 memory wiped and was shown a picture of Torchic, I would never have imagined it would evolve into a horrifyingly OP fighting chicken-man with Speed Boost.

It's just way too soon to predict the tides. But I do agree that Rowlet is pretty much screwed outside of a miraculous change in the meta (Grass has been underpowered forever...) or some godsend ability with that typing. Litten and Popplio, on the other hand, are way too open-ended to declare.

25 minutes ago, Makudomi said:

@Arcadeotic Same amount of years as me, then. ;D

I don't disagree with your predictions of what would happen IF they become Grass/Flying, Fire/Dark, and Water/XXXX with mediocre abilities that barely surpass Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent in terms of relevance. I'm just saying that GF still has so much time to surprise us that it's a little pointless to jump to conclusions.

And hey, going off of Gen 6 starter HAs...you can't say that they weren't given unique abilities, even if Magician is trash and Bulletproof is "kind of useful sometimes". Personally, I think that they're going to give at least one of them something unexpected. Would anyone have expected Chespin to turn into a giant Man-Chipmunk, or even Fennekin to randomly become a witch? First stage designs only say so much about the final form. Like, if I had my Gen 3 memory wiped and was shown a picture of Torchic, I would never have imagined it would evolve into a horrifyingly OP fighting chicken-man with Speed Boost.

It's just way too soon to predict the tides. But I do agree that Rowlet is pretty much screwed outside of a miraculous change in the meta (Grass has been underpowered forever...) or some godsend ability with that typing. Litten and Popplio, on the other hand, are way too open-ended to declare.

Well yeah

But that's the point of speculation and predicting

I'm just using my foreshight and insight from all the time I've been on the competitive scene to give my speculation on these starters

14 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Well yeah

But that's the point of speculation and predicting

I'm just using my foreshight and insight from all the time I've been on the competitive scene to give my speculation on these starters

No argument there. One of the major sources of entertainment aboard the Hype Train is the speculation phase. :wahaha:

Now let's see what kind of evolutions get revealed over the next few months!! Personally, I want to see Popplio surprise everyone and be the coolest-looking of the three.

13 minutes ago, Makudomi said:

No argument there. One of the major sources of entertainment aboard the Hype Train is the speculation phase. :wahaha:

Now let's see what kind of evolutions get revealed over the next few months!! Personally, I want to see Popplio surprise everyone and be the coolest-looking of the three.

Yeah

I'll be surprised if it becomes anything else except Dewgon or Samurott 2.0, tbh

I'm most interested as what Litten's going to look like

6 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

I will literally throw my 3DS at a wall if it's an another fucking lion

Are you saying the Gen 6 Fire lion and the Gen 7 Fire lion (legendary!!) are already enough for you?

Please Arca. Next, you'll be telling me there are too many Bug/Flying Pokémon...or perhaps Fire/Fighting starters. :wahaha:

44 minutes ago, Makudomi said:

Are you saying the Gen 6 Fire lion and the Gen 7 Fire lion (legendary!!) are already enough for you?

Please Arca. Next, you'll be telling me there are too many Bug/Flying Pokémon...or perhaps Fire/Fighting starters. :wahaha:

I actually don't mind the Fire/Fighting starters

And Bug/Flying is just redundant

But Dark is my favorite typing and I really can't stand it if they do that to this starter

Literally garbage

1 minute ago, Arcadeotic said:

I actually don't mind the Fire/Fighting starters

And Bug/Flying is just redundant

But Dark is my favorite typing and I really can't stand it if they do that to this starter

Literally garbage

Just wait. It'll be Fire/Ghost. Ghostcat!!

-- Which would be fun for me, because I don't like Chandelure despite how very much I love those two types. :P

9 minutes ago, Makudomi said:

Just wait. It'll be Fire/Ghost. Ghostcat!!

-- Which would be fun for me, because I don't like Chandelure despite how very much I love those two types. :P

Ghostly fire cat would be fucking amazing

And please, Chandelure is one of the best designed, most powerful and one of my most favorite Ghost pokemon

I'll fite you

3 hours ago, Arcadeotic said:

Ghostly fire cat would be fucking amazing

And please, Chandelure is one of the best designed, most powerful and one of my most favorite Ghost pokemon

I'll fite you

fite u IRL m8

ill stick my team of shiny lv 100 Arceus on u!!!!!

None of those predicted starter typings seem immediately amazing in the only format that actually matters; VGC

Rowlet is allegedly 4x weak to ice and normally weak to Rock and Flying; All of which are very relevant. And since it's not great offensively either, Rowlet would need a very good hidden ability and movepool/stats to complement it. Intimidate, Shadow Tag, Serene Grace, Prankster, all of those could work.

Litten is probably the most promising out of the three, but being weak to ground and rock is always a very relevant factor in VGC and losing the resistance to fairy for an immunity to psychic and more weaknesses doesn't seem all that great either. In VGC, Fire types need to be bulky and hit hard, otherwise they don't do much good. Intimidate as a hidden ability would once again be a great to have, while the dream is Levitate or Storm Drain.

Popplio is in a weird spot; Being weak to Fairy and Flying is very awkward in formats dominated by Hyper Voice, but that never stopped Pokemon like Conkeldurr or Machamp to perform reasonably well in 2015. If Popplio has reasonable stats to perform well with an assault vest, it might be a great rain-check, where as simply adding Wide Guard to it's movepool would make it a consideration as well.

Honestly, stats and abilities can be more important than types. There's a reason why we don't see Spiritomb at all, but things like Rhyperior and Abomasnow can pop up infrequently. And who knows; maybe Rowlet ends up with an Ice immunity, for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Really, I don't see a whole lot of logic behind why Popplio would be part Fighting to begin with. It's supposed to be based on a performance sea lion, isn't it? I don't understand why anyone would assume it'll be yet another part-Fighting starter with a playful design like that.

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for Fairy. A whimsical circus performer à la Mr. Mime.

Edit: Reconsidered mentioning partial Flying typing when I realised there are no "bouncing" non-avian flyers as a precedent.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

An official Free For All mode. Not all of you might realize this, but that is big news for Poketubers. Probably the most important reveal; who gives a damn about that ugly rat pokemon? :Teeku:

I was a little disappointed that the match ends as soon as the first 'mon goes down, TBH.