That one question...

Wintersami

Thanks so much man. :)

What I used was Tae Kim, because it really is pretty good (I used it.)

http://www.imabi.net/

http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/guide/j-comi.php

http://www.nihongoresources.com/language/grammar.html

Unfortunately, I've ONLY used Tae Kim, so I don't exactly know how great these are, but I've skimmed some, and they seem pretty useful. There are plenty of other sites, which I can't really vouch the credit for, but assume are just as good.

Thank you as well. Also if you were able to learn Japanese grammar only through using Tae Kim than I suppose that is enough of a testament that shows how good his guide is.  

Thank you as well. Also if you were able to learn Japanese grammar only through using Tae Kim than I suppose that is enough of a testament that shows how good his guide is.  

Oh right. No, don't put it THAT high up. I learned partly through experience too, for sure. There will be times where you won't be familiar with stuff, and I've had people around to ask at those moments for explanation. It's very good to get basics down, for sure, but when you have something like JParser helping you, you learn a lot from that too. There's also google, which covers most other things like idioms, which, I use in the middle of reading at times. I still have plenty of stuff to work on in terms of grammar as well.

I used a specific method for learning grammar, if it helps. First, read through all of Tae Kim's grammar guide. You have to become adept with the basic grammar before going on to the essential grammar, and the same with learning the essential grammar before going on to both special expressions and advanced topics. You don't quite need to memorize all the specific conjugation for every verb ending and such right away, but be sure that you have a general idea at first and that you'll master them throughout your practice.

Then there's the next step. When I finished Tae Kim's grammar, I had a vague knowledge of all of the concepts, but I couldn't memorize them all at once in such a manner that I could go on to practice. That's what I think the Amaterasu guide is good for. You can't use it to learn Japanese grammar from scratch, unless you're some kind of super genius who can memorize things and gain a holistic comprehension of them at first glance. It is good, however, to stuff into your memory everything you've learned from a more comprehensive guide, such as Tae Kim's. Read through it in such a manner that you can memorize most of the stuff, at least in the short term, and then you can move on to firsthand practice. For this, I recommend visual novels, since you can both hear and read what characters are saying. There was a nice list of easy-to-read visual novels that haven't been translated, but for some reason I couldn't find it. Well, just go with something by Yuzusoft. Also, use an electronic dictionary, such as KanjiTomo.

As for vocabulary, it doesn't need to be on the same level of comprehension as your grammar. You need to know the basics so that you can learn the grammar, of course, but Tae Kim should have that covered. Once you're generally finished with studying grammar, you can either find a good Anki deck, or just learn by immersion in visual novels, etc. I mention this because although you're focusing on grammar, when you're reading visual novels, you might not be able to distinguish some words from others when using an electronic dictionary, which is why you need to know at least some of the words.

If there's a specific grammatical concept that you've never learned or have forgotten, I recommend Imabi. If Tae Kim's guide is a step up in terms of comprehensiveness to Amaterasu, Imabi is another step up from Tae Kim's. It will explain even seemingly insignificant words in deep detail, so it's very convenient for when you can't find something specific elsewhere.

Also, when you can't find a certain grammatical phrase anywhere you look, copy&paste it into the sentences section of Jisho, and you'll be able to learn it through context. If nothing comes up, you can probably divide it into smaller grammatical phrases.

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't originally intended the wall of text. -_-

There was a nice list of easy-to-read visual novels that haven't been translated, but for some reason I couldn't find it. Well, just go with something by Yuzusoft.

Wait, seriously? I was skipping out on Yuzusoft stuff this entire time under the impression their stuff would be more difficult because of supernatural events and such. Is it really easy-to-read?

Also, thanks for the whole order and description of everything, Fiddle. I'll start on Amaterasu's stuff soon then.

I used a specific method for learning grammar, if it helps. First, read through all of Tae Kim's grammar guide. You have to become adept with the basic grammar before going on to the essential grammar, and the same with learning the essential grammar before going on to both special expressions and advanced topics. You don't quite need to memorize all the specific conjugation for every verb ending and such right away, but be sure that you have a general idea at first and that you'll master them throughout your practice.

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't originally intended the wall of text. -_-

Even though I edited it out in this quote I am very appreciative that you wrote a wall of text. I think you pretty much provided me with a path to follow on my quest to learn Japanese and read VN's. This is a great post. :)

Tae Kims is a fine starting point, especially for learning eroge. He teaches you a pretty solid foundation and can get you going pretty early, just be aware he simplifies alot of things in the language.

If you want a more relentlessly thorough approach, http://www.imabi.net/ is the best place I've found. It's a bit overwhelming at first, some of his example sentences are lifted from novels and alot of his really advanced stuff is shit you may never see, but as far as getting some of the core rules down without simplifcation, It's the best place to go. Maybe go to it after Tae Kim.

I definitely don't recommend Ammy's guide, sadly. Alot of the example sentences are stuff he clearly just tossed together and don't make very much sense at all and will confuse you, it's a lot less structured than Imabi's is despite seemingly trying to take the same approach.

Even though I edited it out in this quote I am very appreciative that you wrote a wall of text. I think you pretty much provided me with a path to follow on my quest to learn Japanese and read VN's. This is a great post. :)

Thanks. But bear in mind that that was just to fit my particular circumstances. It may help if all you want to do is read manga and VNs and such, but it completely ignores things like learning how to write characters, actually speaking rather than listening, and the specific meanings of kanji and such. Sometimes, even though I can read kana fluently, I forget how to write a lot of katakana. Furthermore, everybody's brains are wired differently, so some deviations from my personal method might simply work better for others.

Incidentally, an awesome source with which to learn everything about the most useful 1700 kanji is Kanji Damage. It teaches everything, down to the readings, meanings, and radicals, through humorous mnemonics.

EDIT: Aha, I believe this was the VN list I was referring to. Or this, or something. -_-