Discussion: How is the Anime/Manga Talk section?

Tay

How is the Anime/Manga section doing?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you post in the Anime/Manga section as opposed to the rest of the site?

• More often
    • About the same
    • Less often
  2. 2. Do you think off-topic discussion in this section is a problem? If so, how big a problem?

• Not a problem.
    • It bugs me a little.
    • I don't like it and want it to stop.
    • It's ruining my experience.
  3. 3. Do you think "spam" (worthless posts) is an issue in the Anime/Manga section? If so, how big a problem is it?

• Not a problem
    • It bugs me a little.
    • I don't like it and want it to stop.
    • It's ruining my experience.

This poll is closed to new votes

Please fill out the poll above and share your thoughts about how the Anime/Manga Talk section is doing. I'd like to hear your thoughts about off-topic discussion, spam, organization you'd like to see, etc. 

This is your chance to help us improve the forums. Please don't be shy. Feedback, suggestions and criticism are welcomed.

I think the Anime/Manga part of the forum is pretty good and relaxed. Almost every topic is related to the subject except some few I personally think would be better in another part of the forum.

The problem with necromancy is something you can almost never avoid. You get flamed no matter how you do things. If you post a new topic you will get flamed for that. If you bring an old post alive you will get flamed for that.  

I think the community should just accept that everyone doesn't search a forum and be friendly and helpful even though the topic was discussed 3 weeks ago for an example. We got new members all the time and you can't go through everything. I personally don't log in every day. I can't keep track on all subjects and topics created. I would need a full time job for that sometimes.

I think the Anime/Manga part is perfect as it is. Today I counted maybe 10 threads updated today/yesterday. I think that is reasonable. Older topics die fast. 

One suggestion could be a thread/subforum for just suggestions and recommendations. That is something I lack today. I think it is great with for example the Spring/Summer anime discussion topics. They are awesome. I know recommendations and suggestions threads are dangerous for offtopic and flaming.

But let's see the perfect world where we have a subforum arranged with genres where you can ask/recommend animes in just that category. Maybe toplists of alltime/modern/old animes/specific genre etc. Let the imagination stop you.

Overall the animanga section is pretty calm, I don't think there's any issue to worry about here. Some spam here and there but few off-topic.

This section rarely has the kind of heated debates we can see in VN talk or the controversial threads in GD, and it's browsed quite extensively by two mods who are part of those who have nothing better to do than refreshing the forum every 5 minutes (me and Nosebleed) so it's well monitored anyway.

and it's browsed quite extensively by two mods who are part of those who have nothing better to do than refreshing the forum every 5 minutes (me and Nosebleed) so it's well monitored anyway.

<3

I agree, out of all forums Anime&Manga talk is the most calm, I mean all there is to discuss is anime and manga so there's not much that can go on anyway.

I think it's fine the way it is currently.

I prefer reading this Anime & Manga talk forum than any other anime/manga based forum like MAL or Crunchyroll. At least here there's actual decent discussion going on.

I don't post much since I enjoy being the quiet guy more and just read stuff but I think the subforum is good and the discussions are on the right track though I don't understand the praise some anime get here :P maybe because most users are younger than me :D

It's fine as it is, though it's not quite as active as the other subforums.

I don't post much since I enjoy being the quiet guy more and just read stuff but I think the subforum is good and the discussions are on the right track though I don't understand the praise some anime get here :P maybe because most users are younger than me :D

Congratulations, you just defined personal opinion;)

I still believe the suggestions subforum (for any kind of suggestion) would be a more useful and effective method.

I think we had an anime suggestions thread.

But it died and is now buried which is the main flaw of that suggestion.

We've had this discussion like 3 or 4 times already and in the end the veredict is that there is no need to change anything because the amount of people asking for recs is not significant enough yet.

Also regarding improvement suggestions.

If you're going to add tags to the VN forum, the same thing could be done for the anime forum :)

If you wanna make an anime recommendation sub-forum, the best would be to try to lump it with the VN rec one. Not ideal but honestly anime recommendations are scarce. Even on anime-focused forums I browse there's not even one every two or three days, and it's often the same thing again and again that is being asked.

I still believe the suggestions subforum (for any kind of suggestion) would be a more useful and effective method.

I think we had an anime suggestions thread.

But it died and is now buried which is the main flaw of that suggestion.

We've had this discussion like 3 or 4 times already and in the end the veredict is that there is no need to change anything because the amount of people asking for recs is not significant enough yet.

Also regarding improvement suggestions.

If you're going to add tags to the VN forum, the same thing could be done for the anime forum :)

Pin it.

Pin it.

Pinning just fixes the thread not being buried. There's still the issue of difficult navigation, it's much easier to search between threads than in one thread for similar recommendations for example. Once a thread starts getting more replies it just becomes clustered and confusing.

A subforum is more practical than a thread in every aspect. But it was deemed needless.

And I've mentioned this before but currently the "What anime are you currently watching" thread has been the thread of choice to ask for anime recommendations since a lot of people use it to discuss anime and they'll gladly give you suggestions most time so it's not like you don't have any place to ask for recs. Or you can simply make a new thread, it's not forbidden to do that either.

And i'm with Down with creating a subforum for all types of suggestions not just anime because anime suggestions are scarce so making a subforum that encompasses all suggestions from manga, to anime, to vns, etc. would just be an optimal solution because there's people also wanting a subforum for vn suggestions. But once again it was deemed needless last time we suggested it.