Compilation of VNDB Ratings

Warudusu

Still deciding some things, can't collect the data until I'm positive about the information displayed, you know.
Eventually.. If you know how to AJAX I'd like your help for calling the descriptions instead of just putting the text in the document, it really inflates the file size.. (up to 50% of each entry is the description so it would really make a difference.)

Currently working on custom options, like Sexual Content Sorting, and score threshold sorting, I am pretty shit at javascript so could be a long time. by the way, the Sexual Content tab has four values, Kige (Nukige) High (High Sexual Content) Low (Low Sexual Content) and All (All Ages)

For in-progress translations,
http://blog.fuwanovel.net/2015/03/two-niche-tools-for-following-vn-tl-updates/
In addition to the weekly progress updates
http://blog.fuwanovel.net/category/projectupdates/

Also, if anybody knows what happened to VNTLS, couldn't find that out..

Edited by Warudusu

How the hell did MGQ get 8.5?

And why is Steins;Gate 8-bit missing from this list?

MGQ 3, To be precise, 555 votes, I might say that perhaps it has something going for it but not enough to differentiate it from the other 2 games.

As for 8-bit, it's english name is now Steins;Gate Variant Space Octet, apparently.

I'll do some revisions for titles that are in japanese to reflect their english name.

I am still seeking information on whether hyperlinks are possible.

Cool list.

Btw untranslated is missing: Subarashiki Hibi and Aiyoku no Eustia

Subarashiki is Wonderful Everyday, Discontinued Existence /

It would require a lot of work to do English to JP Translations, It's at least 800 entries with at least 700 unique,

I'll see, but it will take a while.

Given that the maximum length for a line doesn't allow both an alternative english name and alternative japanese name, japanese alternative it is..

Also, Aiyoku isn't missing, it's at the bottom because the translation percentage is unknown,.. if you do know how that is going you can tell me and I'll update it.

Before you ask, I didn't write down a few of them, but I doubt anyone will care because they were all 5.50-6.00 anyway.

http://vndb.org/v5607 and its sequels.

Subarashiki is Wonderful Everyday, Discontinued Existence /

It would require a lot of work to do English to JP Translations, It's at least 800 entries with at least 700 unique,

I'll see, but it will take a while.

Also, Aiyoku isn't missing, it's at the bottom because the translation percentage is unknown,.. if you do know how that is going you can tell me and I'll update it.

Before you ask, I didn't write down a few of them, but I doubt anyone will care because they were all 5.50-6.00 anyway.

http://vndb.org/v5607 and its sequels.

Yup that's the name.

I agree with your opinion on the lowly rated ones.

Aiyoku, oh right. Yandere last gave a patch to it 2 years ago, kinda iffy the area of is it dead or not. So. Might as well keep it on that list then.

What's the actual purpose of this thread? I find it completely redundant. Unless someone wants to argue whether XYZ deserves the rating it got, it's far better to just visit VNDB, not to mention a topic like this requires constant and work intensive maintenance, otherwise it will quickly go out of date.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a more diverse categorisation without all the useless clutter vndb offers (7 listings for the same game.)

Clutter like the console the game is on when you rarely care, the flag when all your results are English anyway, popularity..

I won't deny that this will grow out of date, but that doesn't particularly matter for things with a lot of votes anyway, they're not suddenly going to change.

In lieu of the change over time factor, I will include the rating count as well, which VNDB so kindly offers.
I will then do a custom sort for lowest amount of votes, then check those again after a while.
But I wonder what the threshhold for a "stable" rating is?...

How the hell did MGQ get 8.5?

And why is Steins;Gate 8-bit missing from this list?

Don't take VNDB too seriously, working your way through its rating list is like working your way through your typical 'top 50 anime' list. Generally most of the votes are cast by young dudes, so a lot of the stuff up the top is your typical shounen stuff, then you get the pseudo philosophical/psychological/obligatory deep stories, and then you get stuff like monster girl ...

The only difference is, in the VN list you also get a lot of games incorrectly defined. Like Blazblue and Ace Attorney. Take the VNDB list with a massive grain of salt and just don't try to understand it.

Don't take VNDB too seriously, working your way through its rating list is like working your way through your typical 'top 50 anime' list. Generally most of the votes are cast by young dudes, so a lot of the stuff up the top is your typical shounen stuff, then you get the pseudo philosophical/psychological/obligatory deep stories, and then you get stuff like monster girl ...

The only difference is, in the VN list you also get a lot of games incorrectly defined. Like Blazblue and Ace Attorney. Take the VNDB list with a massive grain of salt and just don't try to understand it.

...Man, this thing doesn't keep me logged in,

So is EGS any better? I had some preconceptions about a site dedicated to the purpose of eroges might be more biased toward nukige's

So is EGS any better? I had some preconceptions about a site dedicated to the purpose of eroges might be more biased toward nukige's

As I understand it, it's the Japanese equivalent (I think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.) They're not predisposed to nukige but they do have different tastes.

I'm not a fan of either. To understand whether a game is for you, you really need to read people's opinions on the game you're researching. Just taking a point score is rife with peril. VNs are targeted at a young male audience, both in Japan and here on Fuwa, so right off the bat you're getting a young males perspective on things. This means a lot of things right from the getgo, like for instance their tendency to value ideas and concepts over style (talking about prose here,) and their tendency to devalue certain games right from the outset. It also explains why Monster Girls 3 is ranked right at the top of the RPG/VN list on VNDB....... 

But I'm not going to go on a long rant about the inadequacies of a point based review system. I'm just going to warn people to not take it too seriously and leave it.

While you may not agree with the top of the list, I still believe it provided a somewhat useful insight into what really isn't worth your time, EG (If these people who will play anything rate this game a 5, it probably sucks.)

I'm currently revising Completed Fan Translations right now.
The preview is up, looking at it the green color isn't that bad.

I'll continue this another day.

... So, is there a way to do hyperlinks? as it stands I can only put the link next to the name, which is ugly (Not that this is extremely pleasing to look at to begin with..)

<a href="http://vndb.org/v2002"> Stein;s Gate </a>

Yes,

[url=http://vndb.org/v2002]Stein's Gate[/url] 

Stein's Gate

Anyways gj, although I am not a big fan of ratings (I view them as something more personal so mass votes tell nothing).

And for Japanese untranslated stuff I prefer EGS since its much more accurate.

So that is for top ratings, I would agree that if you see low ratings (like up to 6) on both VNDB and EGS, it probably sucks for everyone xD So for filtering crap it is useful xD

One last thing, using the vndb Bayesian rating (the number you are posting) is very misleading, especially for non-translated and new titles.

Take example Irotoridori no Sekai (which you are by the way missing in the list), has an average vote of 8.44 and Bayesian to 8.10 (since only 159 votes on VNDB, compared to like 1000 on EGS). And then take its sequel Irotoridori no Hikari (I wouldn't really call it a fandisc, its literally a full length sequel almost as long as the original game) which is rated on vndb as 8.55 average but Bayesian pushed to 7.76 (well obviously if the original game has only 159 votes, the sequel will have even less since people have to finish the original in the first place). So according to this VNDB rating the sequel is worse than the original game, which is actually not how it is viewed by most people (EGS is like 81 for original vs 86 for sequel with like 1000 and 500 votes respectively). The second game is viewed as the better of the 2 and rightfully so.

This vndb rating system puts too much emphasis on the number of votes which for stuff like this causes inaccurate information about how people voted.

This will also never give a chance to newly released games, since they can never achieve so many votes as something like FSN.

So I would recommend switching to the average rating if you are going to do this, it won't change much for the top positions, but it will allow newer games to be in the top, where they belong. (and lets be honest if you're gonna be picking between outdated game released in 2001 or something and a game with awesome new effects and graphics and HD resolution, both of which are about equally rated as far as the writing goes - you will probably want to pick the newer one, where as vndb advises you to pick the old one).

just my 2 cents :P