Grandpa, thank you for buying me this game

InvertMouse

One time when I was little, my grandpa took me out and bought me a game for the Gameboy. It was some platformer where you controlled a little car. My grandpa was a security guard in a factory near my place. With only modest pay, he really did spend it all to make us kids happy. Unfortunately, the game was unforgiving with one hit deaths. I lost patience after only a short time and put the game aside. When we moved houses, I lost the cartridge.

My grandpa past away over a decade ago. Since then, I have been looking for this game that he had bought me. The game's title was in Japanese, which I was unable to read at the time. I asked on several forums but my description ran a bell for nobody. Many years later, I had more or less given up.

Then, several months ago, when I was searching for something completely unrelated on Google Images, I stumbled upon a screenshot of the game. As it had been so long, I was unsure if this really was the same game I had played as a kid. I investigated, and as I launched the game and that level one music played, I almost teared up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kGXGeP3NA

It pleased me so much to finally have a second chance to play this game. Though an obscure title, it is important to me because of the backstory involved. I am now looking for a copy of the game, but it is difficult, being such an underground game, so to speak.

Every game can be judged based on its mechanics. However, there is also a different story for each person behind every purchase. I think those can be really awesome to read about sometimes.

Thank you! If anyone has similar stories, feel free to share it :)~

I still remember how happy I was when my parents gave me a Gameboy for my birthday! I think I still have it somewhere in my room. Spent countless hours playing games like Pokemon, Zelda and Megaman! I still keep the cartridges up till now, although I doubt they can be played anymore.  

That's a very sweet story, thanks for telling it. I'm glad you were able to find out what it was called. I'll keep it in my mind, and if I see it being sold anywhere, I'll be sure to PM you about it.

So, I tried searching for it a bit, and had no luck. Maybe you could try tracking the game here Play-Asia. Although, I don't know how long it would take or if they would ever find it.

When I was little I never really had any kind of console or handheld until much later on, so I ended up playing games on my parents' PC. I wasn't allowed to play for very long when I was 5 (and rightfully so), but there was 1 game that I played with my parents which I especially loved, a platformer called Captain Claw. I couldn't get past level 3 iirc and my dad couldn't beat the boss on level 6, but we still had a ton of fun playing it.

Then, around 10 years later something reminded me of the game, I found it, downloaded it, and managed to beat the entire thing save for the final boss, who was tough as nails. The soundtrack invokes nostalgia to this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwQ4y6qwuU

when i was young the gameboy was just announced and when asked what i wanted for my birth day i pleaded for it , my father was strict but kind so he had me do simple chores around the house for a few days and when its release day came around he put me in line at toys r us and handed me 2 $100 dollar bills and said happy birthday get your games and keep up your grades or ill take them back. before that i had already played tons of games on the atari and coleco-vison and nes but that handheld game i could take any where was so special to me because we weren't very well off money wise and to think my father would give me such a expensive gift has even all these years later influenced the way i treat presents from ppl.

Back when I was younger, my family didn't have a lot of money. There was the time when the PS2 came out, and I wanted it so badly that I begged my parents for it... Of course, they refused because it was too expensive. They made a deal with me that, if I were to achieve all A's in all my classes at the end of the year, they'd buy it for me with a game. I knew if I didn't do this, there really was no way for me to convince them since it was so pricey. In the end, I was able to get it because I accomplished what they asked  :). It made me so happy and because I worked so hard at it, it made playing my first game on the PS2 even more memorable (which was FFX). Especially because back then those kinds of graphics were also like -blows mind-.. It was a really satisfying achievement back then and made me believe I could do anything if I put my mind into it and worked hard.

Oh, and I still have the PS2 system (still working) and the game in my collection.^^