Looking for some VN with gameplay

RaaiK

I'm not saying that I want only VNs with gameplay since I play and enjoy normal VNs as well. But from a time you get bored by just clicking when the story doesn't progress at the speed you want and having some gameplay you can shake off that boredom. 

Ah yeah, I heard that most of western players think so...

I almost said something about that decision to give up that I probably would have regretted (an analysis based on my speculations), but I'll shove my usual lectures about grammar and reading Japanese as Japanese, rather than translating it to your first language in your head.  Instead, I'll say a few things to those who have begun to learn Japanese in general, yet aren't willing to go through the work to master the use of the text-hooker/furigana combinations. 

The only way you'll master it is by smashing yourself into the walls of text.  A classroom will only do so much, and the goal of anyone learning a language should be to internalize it, as opposed to merely trying to lay it alongside the languages you already understand.  Heck, my brain is a lot more efficient, since I began expanding the number of languages I could think in.  I can think about matters more critically, and it is much easier for me to follow logic and create organization inside my mind.  The benefits of learning another language and internalizing it, done for whatever reason, can't be underestimated. 

Yes, I learned Japanese because I liked anime.  I learned Japanese because I was curious about what the people were saying when they were doing their level best to cut each other to pieces (I watched fantasy anime almost exclusively for my first seven years or so).  As motives go, it isn't a bad one, and I gained a lot of other benefits as a result.  The freedom of watching anime without being concerned about subtitles and playing VNs without a need for the intervention of a language as ugly as English is wonderful! 

Now, setting aside the rant... 

Oh wait, I just wanted to rant, lol. 

I almost said something about that decision to give up that I probably would have regretted (an analysis based on my speculations), but I'll shove my usual lectures about grammar and reading Japanese as Japanese, rather than translating it to your first language in your head.  Instead, I'll say a few things to those who have begun to learn Japanese in general, yet aren't willing to go through the work to master the use of the text-hooker/furigana combinations. 

The only way you'll master it is by smashing yourself into the walls of text.  A classroom will only do so much, and the goal of anyone learning a language should be to internalize it, as opposed to merely trying to lay it alongside the languages you already understand.  Heck, my brain is a lot more efficient, since I began expanding the number of languages I could think in.  I can think about matters more critically, and it is much easier for me to follow logic and create organization inside my mind.  The benefits of learning another language and internalizing it, done for whatever reason, can't be underestimated. 

Yes, I learned Japanese because I liked anime.  I learned Japanese because I was curious about what the people were saying when they were doing their level best to cut each other to pieces (I watched fantasy anime almost exclusively for my first seven years or so).  As motives go, it isn't a bad one, and I gained a lot of other benefits as a result.  The freedom of watching anime without being concerned about subtitles and playing VNs without a need for the intervention of a language as ugly as English is wonderful! 

That was inspirational :)

My question is, where do you start? I only know about learning a new language in a classroom setting - I learned Spanish that way. I'd really prefer not to take another class for language.

Ah yeah, I heard that most of western players think so...

Sorry for being a western player T.T , I love VNs and having some gameplay here and there is fun once in a while xD.

Awwww, now I really want to start learning Japanese letters properly, but even so, it's going to be a long road xD

• 2 weeks later...

​Sorry if I'm intruding, but I have a few questions...

I thought 999 was also played with emulator...?
Well, that aside, what if I've tried those listed above already? Are there really so few excellent Gameplay based VNs? Can Fire Emblem be counted as a VN too?

Are there really so few excellent Gameplay based VNs? Can Fire Emblem be counted as a VN too?

There are even fewer than you think, considering some of the titles mentioned aren't actually VNs. But here's the thing, if you like the titles mentioned then why don't you look for more games from that genre, and see if you can't find some hidden gems that way?

For example, Fire emblem is a tactical-RPG. It has a story, yes, but then again most RPGs do. So if you like story based RPGs with combat similar to Fire Emblem, maybe you'd like Valkyria Chronicles? It has similar combat to Fire Emblem, the first game was one of the greatest RPGs on the PS3, and the 2nd two games can be played with a PSP emulator. While the 3rd game was never officially translated, it has been fan-translated.

The Banner Saga is an indie PC game which contains a VERY strong story element, and Fire Emblem type combat. The only problem is there are no manual saves, and I hate games which have no manual saves :(.

999 (and indeed Phoenix Wright) are adventure games. Adventure games ALWAYS contain a heavy story element, so maybe taking a look at this genre will uncover some games you like? The Walking Dead is a well-known adventure game, which is VERY similar to a VN.

There are even fewer than you think, considering some of the titles mentioned aren't actually VNs. But here's the thing, if you like the titles mentioned then why don't you look for more games from that genre, and see if you can't find some hidden gems that way?

For example, Fire emblem is a tactical-RPG. It has a story, yes, but then again most RPGs do. So if you like story based RPGs with combat similar to Fire Emblem, maybe you'd like Valkyria Chronicles? It has similar combat to Fire Emblem, the first game was one of the greatest RPGs on the PS3, and the 2nd two games can be played with a PSP emulator. While the 3rd game was never officially translated, it has been fan-translated.

The Banner Saga is an indie PC game which contains a VERY strong story element, and Fire Emblem type combat. The only problem is there are no manual saves, and I hate games which have no manual saves :(.

999 (and indeed Phoenix Wright) are adventure games. Adventure games ALWAYS contain a heavy story element, so maybe taking a look at this genre will uncover some games you like? The Walking Dead is a well-known adventure game, which is VERY similar to a VN.

999 is a visual novel through-and-through. It uses NVL and ADV style storytelling and has a heavy focus on narration. It's as much of a VN as any other you've read. The gameplay segments are limited and not all that long, and there's even a gameplay-less version on IOS that's pure VN. This all goes for Virtue's Last Reward, as well.

I'll say that all of the games you posted are quite good. TWD is probably the best adventure game released in the last 15 years and as emotional as the most emotional Nakiges. If you like Valkyria Chronicles, maybe look at the Sakura Wars series. Sakura Wars 5 was released in english for the PS2 and it's alright, albeit nothing too special. It's made by the same developers as VC and it really tells, the combat system is very similar. It's also actually half-VN, unlike VC, which makes it on-topic!