How to make awesome sigs with photoshop?

A sig is personal and you can do many things with it. And with photoshop the possibilities are endless.

I personally just do a rectangle with round corners and then add some effects to the layer I deem look nice.

But you can do a lot more. I'm just not THAT skilled.

Well its important to think simple and not overdo it.

1. Cut out characters you like

2. Add background fitting the characters

Optional 3. Do some magic with layer opacity and extra characters images or something

4. Add a nice and simple frame (using opacity layers or anything)

Optional 5. Add some text, your name, some quote

And its done :)

For starters, search for some standard sig tutorials. You can also use fractals or C4Ds for your backgrounds. When you get better, start paying attention to Flow, Depth, Color and Lighting. More on that here http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/39036-signature-composition-101/

Example of what my workspace looks like.

jXM0Sq9.png

And here's a better example than mine

ofJOlz5.png

In the end, it depends on personal preferences though

Guest hairybumslapper

Yeah there are a shit ton of tutorials on the internet. The best thing to do, really is to just play around and experiment with the tools until you find out what works best with your renders/images. I only have the most basic photoshop knowledge, though I think my sig turned out fairly good considering.

Hmm, When it comes to Signatures, i love to make them...but i tend to either overdue it or use to much Brushes.. BUt lately i have been geting the hang of certain things..

Like the others have mentioned, Learning is the best way and with experience you will create something even better..If you havnt by now, i made a post called "Share your Graphics" where others have shared what they have made and those could give you an example.. But ya, I even did a course on Graphical design but come no where new to Siegharts Sigs..Well i hope you do well, And we both produce something spectacular one day.

hmm so you made it a GIF animation?
personally I think it's not worth going for a GIF animation just for the name fading since your signature image gets limited to 256 colors. I'm not really a pro either, but here are some tips:

- NEVER re-size character sprites out of their original aspect ratio. On your signature, it looks like you scaled Kirino's sprite vertically, so it doesn't look too good.
- always make the edges blend with the page background, so you either add shadows and/or borders.
- if you want to include more parts of the sprite but only a small part fits in the canvas, either you scale down the entire sprite or rotate it a bit.
- make the colors and fonts consistent with the sprites.

Personally I think it's not nice seeing Kirino on a dark background. But in the end, it's really just up to you whether you think it looks good or not. Here are some sigs I've made (not all of them were used):

defendos01.png

0001.png

JeMhUnTeR.png

CodeUltra%20%28sample%29.png

Joshyan.png

krill.png

Right now I've been playing around with interactive flash signatures, but I can't really go anywhere since I can't resize the flash canvas with fuwanovel's bbcode.