Yuri VN for males

Crimson

So I was just browsing through the main page at fuwa when I noticed the impressive amount of games of the Sonahana series. The descriptions looked quite interesting, so I thought that maybe I could give one of them a try when I got some spare time from my half a dozen other VNs that I intend to play during my holidays.

However, as these games are about lesbians, I was wondering if there are any males here who read one of these VNs and if they're enjoyable as a male or if they're purely aimed for a female audience. And if you would consider it enjoyable for a male audience, then which part of the series would you recommend to play first?

Yuri is a Seinen sub-demographic.

It's purely aimed at a male audience xD.

As for the series, there are tons of people who'll give you Yuri recommendations

Ah so it is actually aimed at a male audience. Well, ok, I could've thought of that. In that case, I'm gonna give it a try. I've taken a quick look at each one of them just a few minutes ago and Reo & Mai seem to be a kawaii couple. Seems like they're the protagonists of the 3rd and the 5th part of the series. Can anyone recommend these for a complete Yuri / Sonohana beginner?

Ah so it is actually aimed at a male audience. Well, ok, I could've thought of that. In that case, I'm gonna give it a try. I've taken a quick look at each one of them just a few minutes ago and Reo & Mai seem to be a kawaii couple. Seems like they're the protagonists of the 3rd and the 5th part of the series. Can anyone recommend these for a complete Yuri / Sonohana beginner?

yea~! me too~!   can anybody else reccomend us? XD

Yuri is a Seinen sub-demographic.

It's purely aimed at a male audience xD.

As for the series, there are tons of people who'll give you Yuri recommendations

This isn't actually true when you look at the TL-ed Yuri then sure, most nearly all are targeted to the male eyes due to the moe like features. But there's a lot of untranslated which are targeted to the female audience due to the realistic approach.

Let’s say this. Yuri was originated to target the female audience but after time it spilt and now mostly targets the male audience.

To be fair I just look to manga if I want my Yuri since I'm not a really a fan of cute girls having sex

In the end people will TL what people like and what people like is cute girls having sex with other cute girls

Yuri VNs with Bishoujo characters and all the moe elements are more targeted at males.

Yuri VNs without emphasis on these things is more targated at females.

However there is no rule that a male can't enjoy a VN targated at females and vice versa. Or else I'm doing something wrong in enjoying reading yuri Shoujo manga.

The contrasts between the target demographic are obvious once you try both but you can also enjoy both depending on your personal preferences.

Sadly there really aren't many TL'ed yuri VNs. If you're going to read the SonoHana series I suggest you do it in order.

While they are not linked directly (except for the direct sequels like SonoHana 1 and SonoHana 5) the characters from previous games often make cameo appearances on the latter ones so it's nicer to know them beforehand.

This isn't actually true when you look at the TL-ed Yuri then sure, most nearly all are targeted to the male eyes due to the moe like features. But there's a lot of untranslated which are targeted to the female audience due to the realistic approach.

Let’s say this. Yuri was originated to target the female audience but after time it spilt and now mostly targets the male audience.

To be fair I just look to manga if I want my Yuri since I'm not a really a fan of cute girls having sex

In the end people will TL what people like and what people like is cute girls having sex with other cute girls

Actually majority of Shoujo-AI/Yuri VNs are all-ages ones, Lonely Yuri, Amaranto and Aoishiro are all all-ages VNs.

But I think I can safely say (or can we ?) that nowadays Yaoi is mostly aimed at women and Yuri at men.

Amusingly the situation isn't really symmetrical.

Yaoi is entirely aimed at females (note that this doesn't exclude men reading yaoi, merely that they're not within the target), because it depicts homosexual romance the way women fantasize it. There's a different name for the genre that depicts homosexual romances the way men fantasize it and that specifically targets (gay) men. (Can't seem to remember the name right now >_>)

Yuri is so-so, since a fair share of it is pre-published in magazines with a female demographic target. There's yuri that's without a doubt aimed at males exclusively, and even more specifically at otaku (stuff like Sakura Trick), but a fair number of yuri manga have a more ambiguous target.

There's a different name for the genre that depicts homosexual romances the way men fantasize it and that specifically targets (gay) men. (Can't seem to remember the name right now >_>)

Bara is the term you're looking for. Can also be referred to as Men's Love (ML).

It's yaoi created usually by and for gay men. This genre obviously does not have bishounens but manly men doing manly men (can't believe i just made that pun).

Yaoi is indeed largely created for a female audience because it depicts idealized bishounens in a more effeminate way.