Android app suggestions

slamerz

hmmm, for general stuff there's quite a few things that are nice to have sitting around I guess..

Maps

Google/Firefox/etc

Skype is kinda sketchy on android (it works but it's highly resistant to being turned off, let's say)

lots of manga raeders (what I use my phone for like 70% of the time xD I love it)

gmail/email

Netflix/Crunchyroll

Wallbase

Adobe Reader was a really useful one for reading books or downloading pdfs for schoolwork

JED (Japanese English Dictionary) is my fav dictionary, but kanji recognizer could aslo be really useful in situations (untranslated ambient things in anime or vns)

Anki if you're doing that

ColorNote widget thingy (basically a notepad)

Winamp for music is what I use

youtube (I just use google browser tho)

That basically concludes the apps I have on the screens in my phone (there are some other limited use ones like bank apps, MX Player for playing video files (except it doesnt work for 1080p I think), and there are some cool remote mouse and remote computer access apps that I havent personally gotten into, but look really useful.

idk, probably 90% of it you had an idea of, but maybe a list is nice to have. Hope it helps, and I hope you use it well!

There's VLC Player for Android if you're into watching movies and stuff on it

Dolphin Browser is great for, well, browsing

TubeMate (you can't get it on the app market, you need to download it from their website) is for downloading Youtube videos to play later

Get an iPhone to avoid disappointment ;) #applefanboy

I hate apple for a multitude of reasons, if you wish we can discuss further why it is you should leave the brand behind and realize the error of your ways :P but I forgive you my son, for you know not what you had done.

Manga readers are always helpful. I've tested a ton but so far my favorite has been Manga Galaxy . Tons of sources, user friendly interface with several options and allows for download so you can read offline. Not to mention it has been the smoothest out of all apps I tried. All other apps usually have ads that pop out like hell, this one has a really tiny one at the bottom that barely bothers you. 

Skype is alright but if you log off it'll be updating all your messages once you log back in which is a pain.

GET A MUSIC PLAYER. I don't care which one you like best but the default android player (google's) is really annoying to use. I use Rocket Music Player but you might find one you like better.

uTorrent works really well on my android so i'd advice you to download that if you like downloading torrents. I've downloaded a ton of anime onto my tablet when I didn't feel like opening the computer for example. The download speed is just as good, sometimes even greater.

Twitch for android is also a fun app if you watch livestreams and even if you make livestreams it's useful so you can have your chat on your mobile instead of having to switch windows in your computer screen.

Google Chrome of Firefox for obvious reasons

PPSSPP for Android works fairly well too, especially for PSP novels, and you might want to check it out although if you're using a cellphone the screen size isn't helpful. But if it's just a regular novel then it works just fine.

Get a dictionary! Dictionaries are always helpful to have for any occasion.

And of course 9GAG for when you're bored as hell

And most importantly, to wake up smiling in the morning, your personal IMOUTO ALARM CLOCK

That is all from me :D

Yeah I'm getting a phone, the galaxy s4, looks like I'll more than likely get alot of what you guys suggested, especially that psp emulator 0,0

On a galaxy S4 PPSSPP should work and run smoothly. The screen size is also considerably big so you can enjoy the whole interface. 

sorry but we apple fanboys believe that everything android is wrong and apple is perfect. apple is god.this is a joke and I want to get an android but my contract isn't over.

Eh I personally believe both have their utilities and props and cons, it's really about what you want to do with a phone although I can agree that apple is mostly just an overpriced brand, but iPhones aren't bad phones on their own. I personally prefer android because it suits me better and fits what  I do with the device.

Of course on the internet a person like me holds no value unless I start raging against one of the brands.

Oh I feel bad for you man.

I dislike apple because their phones aren't actually well made, they build then with the perfect design to make them brake. in the iphone 5 they have dual glass(glass on the front and back) with little to no bevel on the glass, and the glass stretches all the way to the edges so any impact on the sides or front or back will generally break the glass and it's because that's how their designed.

They are made to last a few months for when they release the S version of it then that is meant to last a few months till the next version comes out ect.

On top of that the only thing keeping it afloat is its name, app developers are highly restricted by apple, I'm a programmer who's looked into programming for both mobile OS's and apple has this large list of things you can't touch or mess with making many apps that you'd think of to improve the device impossible without jail-breaking it to allow access to those features, where as the android OS is much more open, if there is a part of the device you can generally access and alter it, and Apple likes to play the "You want to use us you do what we want" with their screen resolutions.

They use weird aspect ratios and resolutions to restrict app/game developers further because well they can. it wouldn't kill them to do standard resolutions, or at least try but they feel since their popular they can just say, eh fuck it we will make it w/e and people will develop for it.

It makes me laugh to think about most of it because any application/game made for IOS can be converted/ported over to android very easily from their original components, but most applications for android can never be converted/ported to ios without having to redo everything and will lose functions/graphics.

You should wait for a Galaxy S5 like me *_* i used to have an iphone but the screen is just too small for me man. And like said above just get what you feel is right for you and don't get apps that are just going to sit there and take up space.

My 32 GB SD Card gives no fucks about space :P

I heard that the Galaxy brand has restrictions on app usage though, at least that's what the store clerk told me when I was buying my tablet.

She said the Galaxy TAB doesn't allow you to store apps in the SD cards so you're limited the the internal memory for apps. Not sure if the same applies to phones, or even if this applies at all since I did not get a Galaxy TAB to test it out.

But it was something I kept in mind. Not sure if anyone else here tested this theory. If it's false then I'm going to complain to the store clerk tomorrow! (Not really I'm happy with my purchase)

I'm just going with S4 because my contract is out tomorrow and the new carrier is giving me a better deal, so this new contract will be much cheaper than my current one so it's beneficial for me to switch now. I would pry wait for the s5 if it wouldn't cost me so much to do so, but I'm getting a free S4 and like 400 bucks in credit with them plus a cheaper monthly bill that gives me more than what I pay for atm so it's just to good for me to wait.

My 32 GB SD Card gives no fucks about space :P

I heard that the Galaxy brand has restrictions on app usage though, at least that's what the store clerk told me when I was buying my tablet.

She said the Galaxy TAB doesn't allow you to store apps in the SD cards so you're limited the the internal memory for apps. Not sure if the same applies to phones, or even if this applies at all since I did not get a Galaxy TAB to test it out.

But it was something I kept in mind. Not sure if anyone else here tested this theory. If it's false then I'm going to complain to the store clerk tomorrow! (Not really I'm happy with my purchase)

Last I looked into it a bit of phones for android allow you to store apps on micro SD cards, but there is a size limit, so you can't have every app, but if it's small enough you can, our could if it's changed.

Last I looked into it a bit of phones for android allow you to store apps on micro SD cards, but there is a size limit, so you can't have every app, but if it's small enough you can, our could if it's changed.

What the store clerk told me was that her son who bought a Samsung Galaxy TAB3 ran out of internal memory for apps, so he bought an SD Card but the device didn't allow him to install more apps despite having a clear 32 GB SD card.

My Tablet (Asus Memopad HD 7 ) lets me install any app I want wherever I want. I just wondered if Samsungs have a restriction regarding this.

Nonetheless they still seem like great phones and really filling the whole internal memory with apps is not something you easily do. I have 16GB of internal memory and haven't filled half yet.

Oh well, i'm like one of those smartphone freaks that gets every new release on phones that they like so that's why i have to get it. And that's actually a pretty good deal, go for it. Sometimes it's better to wait longer. And most of the space that's on my phone is usually music cause i don't really get that many apps anyway.

What the store clerk told me was that her son who bought a Samsung Galaxy TAB3 ran out of internal memory for apps, so he bought an SD Card but the device didn't allow him to install more apps despite having a clear 32 GB SD card.

My Tablet (Asus Memopad HD 7 ) lets me install any app I want wherever I want. I just wondered if Samsungs have a restriction regarding this.

Nonetheless they still seem like great phones and really filling the whole internal memory with apps is not something you easily do. I have 16GB of internal memory and haven't filled half yet.

I was under the impression that it would be pretty hard to fill that much space with just apps. Is this really a big deal? Most of my space goes into music and then I have a few gigs from my manga app, but I dont really know of any apps that take absurd amounts of space. Am I just foolish?

When I got my LG G2 Android phone last month, I went in there knowing I didn't want an iPhone. Most people I know are diehard Apple fans, mostly because of the simplicity. But I like customizing things, and everything I want to do with my phone is impossible with the iPhone. So I don't regret my decision at all. :)

As for some good apps, I would second the Utorrent suggestion: It makes getting things onto your phone 100 times easier. For music I haven't really settled on anything yet, and the video app that came with the phone hasn't caused any problems for me yet, so I haven't got anything for that either. I've only had my phone for a month, so I don't really have any good suggestions here, to be honest.

• 1 year later...