Visual Novels for mobile devices?

Kaede

Hi everyone,

I was just curious about playing VN's on mobile devices, as I don't own a PSP currently and I'm going to purchase a smartphone soon. Is there anyone

who plays VN's on their cellphone a lot? I was thinking of getting either a Samsung galaxy or an iPhone, so I could play VNs without being in front of a

computer. Is one better suited for VNs over the other? I know the galaxy has a bigger screen, but is that the only advantage? Also, are there more visual

novels available for Andriod than iOS, or vice versa?

-Kaede

^That thread is useful for PC novels on android.

Also like it was mentioned there are indeed more novels for iOS than for Android.

If you're also interested there's PSP emulators for android.

I played Corpse Party on my tablet (Android 4.2) and it worked fine using the PPSSPP emulator.

Simply download the .ISO file of whatever VN you want and paste it wherever you want on your device.

Download PPSSPP Emulator for Android for free. (There's also a Gold version which offers more costumer service among other stuff)

Tweak the options to however you'd like (like the control display which matters a lot depending on device)

Look for the ISO file and run it

It should run smoothly for most part depending on the VN and your own device's capability, with minor issues. 

It was playale for me and it was ideal for playing long PSP VNs on my android since i don't own a PSP.

If you're interested in the iPhone, it also has a version of PPSSPP, although it can be uncomfortable at times (tested personally). Also, lolgc has successfully made available a translation patch for Steins;Gate on iOS, and it's working on Chaos;Head, as far as I know. And finally, I think recently Planetarian was made available for iOS devices.

The only problem with the PPSSPP emulator is the buttons being clustered depending on the size of your screen.

On a Samsung Galaxy it shouldn't be too bad considering the size of the screen but on an iPhone i feel like the buttons will be really cramped.

I played on a tablet so i didn't have these issues in particular.

Thanks for the replies mina-san!

If I were to get the galaxy, it would probably be the S4. But I think I'm leaning more towards getting an iphone though, (for compatibility reasons, since I have a mac) >_<

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like either a galaxy or a tablet would be better suited for VN's because of screen size :(

Does anybody here know if PPSSPP will play Toradora Portable? I have been really interested in playing that, I just don't want to shell out for a PSP just to play a single Visual Novel with mixed reviews at that.

It will. I've played Toradora Portable using PPSSPP and it ran smoothly with some lag during conversations but those don't happen often so it doesn't hinder gameplay a lot. One tip though, do not use the emulator's save function when playing Toradora, always save within the game. There will be tons of freezes if you try using the emulator's saves. This is from personal experience. It might also corrupt your in-game save files which happened to me so don't do it. And for the sake of it, always save often because once the game freezes you have to reset and if you didn't save it's a pain.This is not true for other games but Toradora seems to really hate PPSSPP when you use the built it quick save function

As far as a personal opinion on the game i have to say it's not very fullfilling compared to the anime really. I won't say it's bad but it's not really outstanding either. The alternative endings which are what's most important and are what's meant to support the game tend to be kind of lame for most part. I mean i wanted to play it just so i can experience an ending where Ryuuji ends up with Minori and when i actually got that it didn't really affect me much. You can check out my walkthrough to see all the endings available if you're interested.

I see. 

On another note, does anyone have an opinion on the PS Vita for VN's? 

I know in Japan most VNs are still being made for the PSP. To play them on the Vita, they would have to be purchased on the PSN store (and I'm not really sure how large the selection for VNs is there). 

So would it make more sense to just get a PSP?

I see. 

On another note, does anyone have an opinion on the PS Vita for VN's? 

I know in Japan most VNs are still being made for the PSP. To play them on the Vita, they would have to be purchased on the PSN store (and I'm not really sure how large the selection for VNs is there). 

So would it make more sense to just get a PSP?

I'd say right now it's more worth it to buy a normal PSP if you want to play mostly VNs. Most novels that have a PSVita version also have a PSP one so it's not really a big issue. I doubt there's many VNs on the vita store as opposed to the PSP selection.

Thanks Nosebleed!

So what kind of tablet is everyone using? Just curious.

Asus Memo Pad HD7 16 GB

Specs

I picked it over the Samsung Galaxy TAB. It was what i could manage for the budget i had. Android 4.2 OS. Runs smoothly with its 1GB of ram and the quad core CPU. I have 0 complaints about it so far. All apps have worked great as well. The keyboard gets on my nerves sometimes though.

PSP emulaton on it works fine and the buttons aren't all cramped up though i only play VNs on it. I'm sure it'll be more confusing if you need more buttons in your screen.

Asus Memo Pad HD7 16 GB

Specs

I picked it over the Samsung Galaxy TAB. It was what i could manage for the budget i had. Android 4.2 OS. Runs smoothly with its 1GB of ram and the quad core CPU. I have 0 complaints about it so far. All apps have worked great as well. The keyboard gets on my nerves sometimes though.

PSP emulaton on it works fine and the buttons aren't all cramped up though i only play VNs on it. I'm sure it'll be more confusing if you need more buttons in your screen.

MemoPad 7 is pretty much 2012 Nexus 7 with a few added features like microSD card slot iirc. I'd be careful with that because the Nexus 7 2012 was known to have the memory degrade over time. Or else the 2013 Nexus 7 is also a pretty good tablet for the price which is what I use.

If you can afford it, you can always get a Windows 8 Tablet such as the ASUS T100 or a Dell Venue 8 or 10 or even the Surface Pro 2 which all run full Windows 8 so you'll probably be able to run those VNs on that.

MemoPad 7 is pretty much 2012 Nexus 7 with a few added features like microSD card slot iirc. I'd be careful with that because the Nexus 7 2012 was known to have the memory degrade over time. Or else the 2013 Nexus 7 is also a pretty good tablet for the price which is what I use.

If you can afford it, you can always get a Windows 8 Tablet such as the ASUS T100 or a Dell Venue 8 or 10 or even the Surface Pro 2 which all run full Windows 8 so you'll probably be able to run those VNs on that.

I picked that tablet after a lot of searching and looking at the specs and prices of tons of tablets and asking for opinions too. I did look at the Nexus but it was out of my budget. With 200€ or 274 USD the Asus Memo Pad was the best I could afford (The Samsung Galaxy was within budget but the specs were worse). Like i said it's still recent so maybe later some problems will show up i have no doubts about it. It's only around 2 months old so maybe in a year we'll see how it behaves. Tablets are known to have battery issues all the time and overall they're just devices not made to last. Same thing with this gen's phones they're made to break in a 2 year span of time. Heck even the lady at the store told me I should buy an extended warranty (which i did) just for the sake of saving some money for some extra years of safety.