[Submission] New Badges For Those Who Help In Fuwanovel's Other Places

Hey guys, so I was wondering about something.  Tay mentioned title-changing for helping out with things around the site, but I've been wondering something: there are a lot of members who aren't forum staff per se, but are either staff in other places.  So I was wondering: where's their shiny badge yo?  I wanted to propose that we grant specially tailored, though smaller, badges--they can either go in the mini profile or the main profile mage, or both--to recognize those members.  

Let me explain a little backstory as to why I thought of this, and tell you all of my personal experience with this issue: I ran the Facebook as the only active admin, helped Tay as a Visual Novel Aer administor, and did some miscellaneous work around the front site.  Even though I had these responsibilities, few people knew of this, and didn't come to me with questions that I should have been approached with.  Moreover, I was generally ignored on a few occasions when trying to handle Fuwanovel's business because the other person in question didn't see that magical "Staff" badge on my mini profile, and figured I wasn't legitimate.  I know this is very personal, but this is the best example of this I can think of to get my point across of why this could solve some issues and work as a great rewards system to simply show every member who helps that we sincerely appreciate their efforts.

In the best interest of doing this, here's what I propose we could do to help solve the issue of "recognition" that Tay talked about last night in his stellar "State of the Fuwa Address":

For Facebook Staff:

• A small badge saying "FB Manager" for the managers.
  • A small badge saying "FB Moderator" for the Content Creators and Moderators--I'd do two different badges for the mods and creators, but "Content Creator" is too long of a name.

For Visual Novel Aer Staff:

• A small badge saying "VNAer Admin" for the Administrators.
  • A small badge saying "VNAer Editor" for the Editors.
  • A small badge saying "VNAer Author" for the Authors

For Main Page Admins:

• A small badge saying "Main Page Worker" or something like that?  <----That name is too long probably so please help me think of a shorter one. 
  • Note: I guess that could include the people who are helping out with Tay's 6th project.

For Uploaders and Pre-patchers, etc:

• A small badge saying "Fuwa Uploader" or something along those lines.

Also, I'd recommend these badges be given to active participators in these projects, not retired ones, as they're supposed to be a recognition of current work and prove legitimacy.

This is just a rough sketch of what I think we should do.  What do you guys all think about this?  Where should they go?  Should we even have them?  Let's hear your thoughts~!

I remember Tay mentioning he was working on a badge system, is this in any form related to that?

Also I think those badge names seem pretty fitting but won't they all end up with Staff members anyway? 

Since i'm assuming the staff is what takes care of uploads, content, main page, facebook and forum management.

The only one that's less restricted is the blog which i know anyone can take part of. And i guess the facebook management too (i think?)

I remember Tay mentioning he was working on a badge system, is this in any form related to that?

Yeah, I remember him saying something about that too.  Not really sure about how that's going; I more or less believe he's still pondering on it.  I'm just throwing more ideas into the mix to give him a hand~! 

Well the wider range of badges does seem interesting.

Are you planning on making badges solely for the members that work on the sites?

I think there's also other members that even though they don't work on the main sites they still contribute a lot to the community. For example if you're looking for someone to help you with technical issues there's not that many members that are fully knowledgable in that area so imagine making a badge saying something along the lines of "Tech Support" or something would help distinguish people who you are to look for if you're having troubles with VNs. There's also Translators that do a lot of help for the community in my opinion and deserve recognition.

This is just a sketch idea that popped in my head, I guess i'm yearning for a badge myself :lol:

Well the wider range of badges does seem interesting.

Are you planning on making badges solely for the members that work on the sites?

I think there's also other members that even though they don't work on the main sites they still contribute a lot to the community. For example if you're looking for someone to help you with technical issues there's not that many members that are fully knowledgable in that area so imagine making a badge saying something along the lines of "Tech Support" or something would help distinguish people who you are to look for if you're having troubles with VNs. There's also Translators that do a lot of help for the community in my opinion and deserve recognition.

This is just a sketch idea that popped in my head, I guess i'm yearning for a badge myself :lol:

I'd be one to turn that idea down, since that's less of a responsibility and more of a "help if you can and all that" sorta deal.  Also, everybody helps with that, and we don't want every single person having a badge, then it won't be special xD

Fair enough~

I do support the badge variety though i still see most of them ending up with Staff members which already have a staff badge.

If the idea is to reward other non-staff members then not that many will have a badge

Either way it's more visually appealing to have a variety so you have my support just for that.

I haven't been around here for too long, but I'll give my opinion anyway. Sorry if someone finds it to be out of place ~

I think it's a good idea, I agree with all what you said. Nothing much to add to it.

I also agree with this:

I'd be one to turn that idea down, since that's less of a responsibility and more of a "help if you can and all that" sorta deal.  Also, everybody helps with that, and we don't want every single person having a badge, then it won't be special xD

Just as Naomi said, badges would stop being special that way. And managing all those badges wouldn't be easier either since there'd be too many.

A moderate amound of badges would be the best in my opinion, either a big or small amount of them wouldn't be the right choice imo.

Also I think those badge names seem pretty fitting but won't they all end up with Staff members anyway? 

Since i'm assuming the staff is what takes care of uploads, content, main page, facebook and forum management.

Right now, the "staff" part of the staff badges refer pretty much to the forum staff, ie people with moderation rights taking care of the forum, and participating in the decision-making when it comes to forum affairs.

However, Fuwa is now more than just "the forum plus Aaeru handling a Fuwanovel twitter/blog/uploading torrents" as it used to be. Hence the need to distinguish the people who take care of those things - such as in Naomi's case -  without having a billion moderators/"staff" on the forum. Admittedly, a lot of the forum staff wears more than one hat, but that won't necessarily be them handling everything anymore.

Hey, you ever noticed that "Moderator" has the same amount of letters as Fuwanovel? Just a very wild idea idea for an update in badges that I have no intention of following through, but maybe someone with a better insight than I can make something out of it.

About new badges: I think they are a good idea. I don't know who is going to implement them, but now that we're jumping into a lot of projects, giving badges to key members on those projects is definitely not a bad idea.

While I think almost all of our members deserve to have a badge (probably more than that) that would kill the whole point of having badges. Well, I agree with this motion, as long as it's not too troublesome to do.

There should be a badge for posting an extremely cute image of a loli Steve hasn't seen yet (on a level of the OP in The Cutest Image topic and I think the latest Kaguya's image would count for it for example, it is really awesome) OR posting an image of Mare Steve hasn't seen yet.

Sounds like a challenge to me~!  What would we name that badge?  :huh:

Hey, you ever noticed that "Moderator" has the same amount of letters as Fuwanovel? Just a very wild idea idea for an update in badges that I have no intention of following through, but maybe someone with a better insight than I can make something out of it.

Yeah, I tried that when I made the badges, and "Moderator" wouldn't fit into the image without cutting out the right star.  I wanted to do that too Kagu-chan~!  :unsure:

Just to pipe in: Yes! I still am trying to find a good badges system which would show up just under the MAL/VNDB links in the user box around the forums.  There are badge systems out there for IP Board, and I've been working with one of the badge system creators to find a solution which works for us.  Right now I'm waiting on an update from him, but my hope is the system will allow us to make badges for whatever we want (we can discuss all of what deserves badges as soon as we have a system in place) and an unlimited number of them.  Users should be able to display their favorite badges with the user box on each post, with all the rest of the badges showing up in their profile.

Still working on it, though!

Just to pipe in: Yes! I still am trying to find a good badges system which would show up just under the MAL/VNDB links in the user box around the forums.  There are badge systems out there for IP Board, and I've been working with one of the badge system creators to find a solution which works for us.  Right now I'm waiting on an update from him, but my hope is the system will allow us to make badges for whatever we want (we can discuss all of what deserves badges as soon as we have a system in place) and an unlimited number of them.  Users should be able to display their favorite badges with the user box on each post, with all the rest of the badges showing up in their profile.

Still working on it, though!

Awesome~!  That's great to hear.  I guess we'll leave it at that until Tay comes back to this thread with a new update on this.  Until then~