Sakura, Moyu. -as the Night's, Reincarnation- Translation Project (Discontinued)

Xelane

4 hours ago, Cryptah said:

Nekonyan actually has the whole AstralAir already translated.It's been fully translated for years. So you can't really say hypotetically anything about releasing it early.

This is crazy, i didn't know about it. Then if that's how it works we might really have to wait until 2040 before Nekonyan decides to release this one

On 1/21/2024 at 2:57 PM, Cryptah said:

Nekonyan actually has the whole AstralAir already translated.It's been fully translated for years. So you can't really say hypotetically anything about releasing it early.

Source?

On 1/21/2024 at 4:00 PM, Xelane said:

They said they will review my last uploaded patch and decide when the license for the game comes into question.

But this means they still don't have the license for this game. Can they really shut down Fan translations even though they don't have it?

16 hours ago, Cryptah said:

Nekonyan discord. Staff there has posted screenshots and discussing this multiple times there.

Yeah, probably worth remembering NekoNyan's roots. Pretty sure the AstralAir translation dates back to when some of the members were still a fanTL group before eventually creating NekoNyan.

15 minutes ago, Alvi said:

But this means they still don't have the license for this game. Can they really shut down Fan translations even though they don't have it?

I might be mistaken, but it isn't about having just the license for a specific title, it's also about what exactly are the stipulations with their agreement with the Japanese license holder, in this case Favorite. If Favorite gave them that ability to represent them in that way, or if they were given the go-ahead from Favorite, I believe they would still have legal grounds.

10 hours ago, Duckery said:

I might be mistaken, but it isn't about having just the license for a specific title, it's also about what exactly are the stipulations with their agreement with the Japanese license holder, in this case Favorite. If Favorite gave them that ability to represent them in that way, or if they were given the go-ahead from Favorite, I believe they would still have legal grounds.

Maybe. Though I'm not sure if that's enough to stop fan translations of games of which they don't even have the license yet and it's not like they officially announced that they plan to translate this game or do anything about it either and even if they do it's going to take years before they do something. 

I believe the best way to go about this would be to just keep translating this game then leak it anonymously. They called for It with their disgusting self-entitled behavior.

For Astral Air, even without info from Discord it's still easy to figure out that Nekonyan still have the translated script, moreso if we follow them ever since they have the name Shinku Translation way back in 2015 to 2016 (Or just search VNDB). So yeah, unless they're very careless so much they lost the script, obviously they should still have Astral Air script. That said, to turned Astral Air translated script into English release took a lot of effort and patience, one of which is definitely can't be helped if they get a random reviewer in the review process who then randomly decide to ban the VN. Another thing to note is the programming, in which they also need to wait because Favorite engine force the user to change the language to Japan (On date and time display) just to play their VN properly, in which its also happen with Sakuramoyu here.

Edited by littleshogun

On 1/25/2024 at 5:38 AM, Brad807 said:

Maybe. Though I'm not sure if that's enough to stop fan translations of games of which they don't even have the license yet and it's not like they officially announced that they plan to translate this game or do anything about it either and even if they do it's going to take years before they do something. 

I believe the best way to go about this would be to just keep translating this game then leak it anonymously. They called for It with their disgusting self-entitled behavior.

Even if it takes them years, I believe they still have legal grounds. Maybe they couldn't do something themselves, but if Favorite were made aware of it, they could take further action by working with Favorite against some group or individual. In this specific case, considering Xelane is open to working with NekoNyan on an official release and even offered to do so, it probably wouldn't be a good look to release it anonymously if the opportunity potentially arises. In other cases where an official publisher has a partnership with a developer, it's probably best to work anonymously and just not announce it until it's ready to release.

10 hours ago, Duckery said:

Even if it takes them years, I believe they still have legal grounds. Maybe they couldn't do something themselves, but if Favorite were made aware of it, they could take further action by working with Favorite against some group or individual. In this specific case, considering Xelane is open to working with NekoNyan on an official release and even offered to do so, it probably wouldn't be a good look to release it anonymously if the opportunity potentially arises. In other cases where an official publisher has a partnership with a developer, it's probably best to work anonymously and just not announce it until it's ready to release.

The problem here though is the "potentially" part. They aren't even sure if they are going to translate this (they said it in their discord server) so they basically shut down a fan TL just because it might hurt their future interest. Like i already said, it's disgusting behavior.

And about Xelane, he is willing to cooperate with them because he (like us) just wants to eventually see the game translated but, like i already said, they are not even sure if they are going to translate it. (also i'm pretty sure that it could take up to 10 years if they eventually decide to do it while if they just let Xelane finish the job it surely wouldn't take this long)

Anyway if it was me i wouldn't let a greedy  company trample over hundreds of hours of my hard work just because they asked me to and i wouldn't let go of an actual translation project for a "potential interest" that won't do anything for the game so yes, i still stand by my idea that this game should be translated and then anonymously released (which i'm pretty sure it's going to happen before Nekonyan decides to do something anyway)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 4:44 AM, Brad807 said:

The problem here though is the "potentially" part. They aren't even sure if they are going to translate this (they said it in their discord server) so they basically shut down a fan TL just because it might hurt their future interest. Like i already said, it's disgusting behavior.

And about Xelane, he is willing to cooperate with them because he (like us) just wants to eventually see the game translated but, like i already said, they are not even sure if they are going to translate it. (also i'm pretty sure that it could take up to 10 years if they eventually decide to do it while if they just let Xelane finish the job it surely wouldn't take this long)

Anyway if it was me i wouldn't let a greedy  company trample over hundreds of hours of my hard work just because they asked me to and i wouldn't let go of an actual translation project for a "potential interest" that won't do anything for the game so yes, i still stand by my idea that this game should be translated and then anonymously released (which i'm pretty sure it's going to happen before Nekonyan decides to do something anyway)

I guess my assumption here is that Favorite found out or were notified about it by NekoNyan which prompted them to request NekoNyan take action. In that case, I would understand and is a different dynamic than NekoNyan just taking it down as a partner of Favorite just on the off chance they may work on it and without Favorite really pushing for it to be taken down which they would have the right to do. But I can understand NekoNyan not wanting to disclose a potential license acquisition just because they took something down since usually contracts have specific stipulations regarding that kind of thing. Regardless, I understand your frustration in regards to fan effort of something which may not be fulfilled via official means. There have been several fan projects that were killed based on the potential of an official release that never came. If they get around to reviewing Xelane's work and don't have any real concerns regarding quality, they probably should just ask them to work on it if they do get serious about acquiring the license. The main obstacle is probably NN's relationship with Favorite. Even if they wanted to license Sakura Moyu(which they clearly do), a lot is probably riding on how well the release of Irosekai does plus the rest of the trilogy potentially before they really start opening discussion for other titles in their catalog(like the AstralAir translation they are sitting on) to build trust.